The End of the SHC?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

The End of the SHC?

Post by alietr »

I haven't seen anything yet and there's only a few weeks to go, so I assume it's over?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: The End of the SHC?

Post by triviawayne »

SHC?

Seven Honorable Congresspersons? Overestimate much?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:21 am SHC?

#88: http://shc2017.gregorygauthier.com/standings.php
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:37 am

#88: http://shc2017.gregorygauthier.com/standings.php
forgot about it. didn't do it last year because I was too busy.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Short Hadron Collider. Some boardies like to get together and do particle physics over the summer.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:20 pm

Short Hadron Collider. Some boardies like to get together and do particle physics over the summer.
Good to know, for those of us who occasionally find ourselves with atoms we need smashed.... :roll:
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I’ve enjoyed playing and writing questions the last 2 years
rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

I've been a bit busy with my job, but I've been working on some questions for this year (although I'm a bit behind the pace I'd like to be).

I'd like to have a 15th edition this year. However, given my other responsibilities, the 2019 SHC may be shorter or a different format than previous years.

If you're interested in submitting a guest category, the form is available here. Also, let me know if you're interested in being a host or editor.

I'll keep you updated.
rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

So after much consideration, I've decided not to run the Summer Hiatus Challenge myself this year. Given my other responsibilities, I don't have the time (or interest) to write 30 to 50 categories as I've done in previous years.

If there is somebody or a group that wants to run the SHC (or a smaller-scale competition along those lines), I'd be glad to offer my support with the scoring program and website, editing, and other tools I've created over the years.

I'm very grateful to have had the opportunity to help run the SHC for four years with such a supportive group of players. Thank you.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

rjaguar3 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:19 pm So after much consideration, I've decided not to run the Summer Hiatus Challenge myself this year. Given my other responsibilities, I don't have the time (or interest) to write 30 to 50 categories as I've done in previous years.

If there is somebody or a group that wants to run the SHC (or a smaller-scale competition along those lines), I'd be glad to offer my support with the scoring program and website, editing, and other tools I've created over the years.

I'm very grateful to have had the opportunity to help run the SHC for four years with such a supportive group of players. Thank you.
And we appreciate what you have done for us in previous years. Thank you once again.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:26 pm
rjaguar3 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:19 pm So after much consideration, I've decided not to run the Summer Hiatus Challenge myself this year. Given my other responsibilities, I don't have the time (or interest) to write 30 to 50 categories as I've done in previous years.

And we appreciate what you have done for us in previous years. Thank you once again.
Yes, indeed.

There are enough people here who can write a category with 5 or 6 clues. Make it a requirement to play. One simple suggestion I would make is to shorten the whole thing by one week. Five weeks of regular play July 29 - August 30. The ToC is the first week of September for the 6th and final week having it done before S36 begins on Sept. 9th.

That's less clues/categories/scoring needed.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I haven't played SHC in many years but I always found it disconcerting from an OCD perspective that it continued after the SH. So I am onboard with shortening it so that it ends before the new season starts. I will try to contribute a quality category or three to the posted webform.
DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

Just chiming in to say I very much appreciate all of the effort put in to keeping this particular tradition going. Life has taken me in other directions, but I'm glad rjaguar3 and others have kept the flame burning. I probably won't be able to participate much (if at all) this year, but I'm willing to help as life and time allow.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

I would be on board to write a few categories if it would help. A truncated version actually sounds good.
Peachbox
3-time Jeopardy!/Sports Jeopardy! runner-up

Post by Peachbox »

I'll submit a couple of categories to the form, in case we do get a shortened SHC going this year.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Upthread rjaguar says he won't be doing it. When I asked him about the response to his form, only a few categories had been submitted.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Maybe a couple people could step up to host TDs?