Tuesday, July 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, July 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Lefty »

I was sure the answer was "makeshift" but I didn't write it down (mentally, that is. I generally don't bother with pen and paper though sometimes) because it was temporarily locked out of my brain, while all I could think of was "jerry-built", which I might have amended to "jerry-rigged" as more nautical-sounding, except that i was sure the actual answer was escaping me entirely, so I wasn't spending any effort there. It did seem odd that even if we happened to be at war with Germany at the time of the coinage, that we would give expression to our animus by implying that Germans weren't good at building things. But I was with RobertKS in assuming that "jury-rigged" was the corrupted version, though again I was sure the answer was this completely different term that wasn't coming to me.
I'm smart and I want respect.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

"Patchwork" for me. Pretty cruddy start to the week.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

I guessed jury-rigged, but I wasn't at all sure. I didn't even remember jerry-rigged until Alex mentioned it would have been accepted.

For what it's worth, jerry-rigged is getting flagged as being misspelled. Jury-rigged is not.
Teems with quiet fun.
billiej

Post by billiej »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:07 pm I will also admit, for the sake of soliciting any similar admissions, that until today it was my supposition that between "jury-rigged" and "jerry-rigged", the former, and not the latter, was the incorrectly used neologism, an errant combination of "jerry-rigged" and the phrase "jury tampering".
Same here. Add another "jerry" to the mix.
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:38 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:23 pm I got to jerry/jury rigged in one second and vacillated for the next 29. I didn’t Know it was nautical and thought it was derivative of WWI or WWII and the Germans’ nickname as Jerry’s. same with the Jerry can which I now must look up.
Yes, I have a feeling that some people who say "jerry-rigged" are conflating it with a "jerrycan" or maybe I'm giving them too much credit.
I didn't really know what a jerrycan was until I just looked it up. Unless one already knows the nautical use of "jury," I'm not sure how that word makes more sense on hearing it than the other. Probably the best reason for accepting "jerry-rigged" is that it's a mishearing/misspelling of the original term that caught on more than a hundred years ago.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-a ... ge-history
Last edited by davey on Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Jerry, but aware of jury and wondered which was the "correct" response.

Anagrams: I am great at wordplay but consistently get my butt kicked by contestants ringing in before I formulate a response. Today I finally figured out a technique that works for me: ignore all the verbiage in the clue and immediately skip down to the scrambled letters. I was 5/5 in the category, and before the players. Just mentioning this in case it helps someone else.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:31 pm This clue got me wondering about whether "jerry-rigged" should properly have been acceptable. I guess so, but for anyone who wants an in-depth discussion:
https://www.dictionary.com/e/jury-rigge ... ry-rigged/
Jury-rigged means something was assembled quickly with the materials on hand. Jerry-built means it was cheaply built. Jerry-rigged is a combination of these two words. Jerry-rigged is a relatively new word. Many people consider it to be an incorrect version of jury-rigged, but it’s widely used in everyday speech.
I've heard both, generally used interchangeably, but wasn't sure both were correct (for comparison, people say "chomping at the bit" when the correct phrase is "champing at the bit" but IDK if both are considered OK).

Anyway, this uncertainty freaked me out and I briefly considered writing in both: "What is jury/jerry-rigged?" Considered that a copout and went with Jerry. I was relieved to see that either would have been acceptable.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Another "Jerry" here; have heard it both ways but regionally "Jerry" is much more common. Perhaps because we're inland and have little nautical nomenclature in local jargon. Wonder if there's a regional difference, with "jury" more common near the coasts and "jerry" more common in the center of the continent. Like another poster, I've always thought that "jury rigging" sounds like something a dishonest lawyer would do in trial, while "jerry-rigging" has the connotation of slapdash and "jerry-built." Glad AT clarified that both would have been accepted.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I had honestly assumed that "jerry/jury rigged" was a euphemism to replace the racially offensive version of the phrase. I'm pleasantly surprised to learn that this was the original.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Missed Graft and Doctors & Lawyers $1600.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :oops: Third FJ miss of Season 35.
LT: (Romeo), Angel Island
Douglas Squasoni
billiej

Post by billiej »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:17 pm the racially offensive version of the phrase.
I was blissfully unaware of that version until this thread. :evil:
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

billiej wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:39 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:17 pm the racially offensive version of the phrase.
Same. The benefits of the accidents of birth geography.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:31 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:38 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:23 pm I got to jerry/jury rigged in one second and vacillated for the next 29. I didn’t Know it was nautical and thought it was derivative of WWI or WWII and the Germans’ nickname as Jerry’s. same with the Jerry can which I now must look up.
Yes, I have a feeling that some people who say "jerry-rigged" are conflating it with a "jerrycan" or maybe I'm giving them too much credit.
I didn't really know what a jerrycan was until I just looked it up. Unless one already knows the nautical use of "jury," I'm not sure how that word makes more sense on hearing it than the other. Probably the best reason for accepting "jerry-rigged" is that it's a mishearing/misspelling of the original term that caught on more than a hundred years ago.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-a ... ge-history
I didn't know about the nautical use of "jury," either. I knew the term was properly "jury-rigged" but never thought a whole lot about the etymology. I guess I assumed it was sort of like "assembled by committee" with the jury being that committee.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Another jerry-rigger here. To me jury-rigged is incorrect as to me it suggests legal shenanigans.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:26 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:25 pm never heard of the term that was the answer to the final jeopardy clue
Have you heard of the term "Mickey Mouse" (and not as referring to the character)?
that i can say i have heard of before....like in "mickey mouse operation"
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:17 pm I had honestly assumed that "jerry/jury rigged" was a euphemism to replace the racially offensive version of the phrase. I'm pleasantly surprised to learn that this was the original.
sadly, that was the first thing that came to my mind when i saw the clue
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:33 pm 58 R (Missed Graft and Doctors & Lawyers $1600.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :oops: Third FJ miss of Season 35.
LT: (Romeo), Angel Island
world might end
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:03 pm
I have lived my whole life in a geographical area of the country not known for racial sensitivity and I have never heard of the offensive term.

I put down jury rig but have mostly heard it said as jerry. I once worked at a place where the fix it guy was named Jerry. We would say he “jerry rigged” whenever he worked on something.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:46 pm
Robert K S wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:03 pm
I have lived my whole life in a geographical area of the country not known for racial sensitivity and I have never heard of the offensive term.

I put down jury rig but have mostly heard it said as jerry. I once worked at a place where the fix it guy was named Jerry. We would say he “jerry rigged” whenever he worked on something.
As part of his fixing, did he ever mander?
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I got jury-rigged right away.

It sounded like more than one of the contestants were making excess noise with their signaling devices. That is completely unacceptable.

Has anyone ever gone driving down the highway in a makeshift model ta?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.