Wednesday, July 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, July 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MYTHOLOGY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In Homer there’s only one of these, from the Greek for “terrible”; later they became 3 scary sisters

Charlie Jorgenson: 25800-1800=24000 (2x = $56,800)
Dan Levy: 8400-3000=5400
Cathy Deobler: 2400-2400=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Gorgons (Charlie – Furies) (Dan – witches) (Cathy – Muses)

Daily Doubles
Cathy: 0+1000
Charlie: 11800+3000
Charlie: 20000+5000

Coryats
Charlie: 21000
Dan: 8400
Cathy: 2000

Combined: 31,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Charlie: 5800
Dan: 3600
Cathy: 1600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

BAD-JECTIVES $1600: If someone calls you this, it can mean you are inadequate (or you arouse compassion)

Dan got a correct response for pitiful while Alex was clearly looking for something else. What was the expected response? I was 0/5 in the category and it felt like salt on the skunk wound when I missed the FJ! clue as well not knowing what to do with Greek for "terrible."

I matched Charlie for my miss and would have needed a whisper I was wrong to have stayed alert to try to think of another group of three. No doubt I've come across the 1 vs. 3 for the sisters while it was not there today.

Charlie added 8 large on DDs 2 and 3 to wrap up the match before the TS clue.

The sound for the round ending early was a little jarring since it was prior to the Teens that a board was not completed.
shambolic

Post by shambolic »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:15 am BAD-JECTIVES $1600: If someone calls you this, it can mean you are inadequate (or you arouse compassion)

Dan got a correct response for pitiful while Alex was clearly looking for something else. What was the expected response? I was 0/5 in the category and it felt like salt on the skunk wound when I missed the FJ! clue as well not knowing what to do with Greek for "terrible."
I imagine they were going for "pathetic."
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Mario Bros. should have been ruled incorrect. The clue was asking for the game, and Mario Bros. came out in 1983 and didn't feature Peach (Toadstool).
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
brick

Post by brick »

The way this show consistently ignores the ‘okina in the Hawai’ian language is sloppy and frustrating. The words lanai and Lana’i are different words!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Lots to comment on today.

I got Ray Bradbury off "I Sing the Body Electric". But I bet a lot of players at home joined Cathy in the Asimov neg. The clue said the story was about a robot, which strongly pulls you in that direction. Charlie's probably on his own or close to it with the rebound neg of Heinlein.

The request for the name of the dwarf who makes the titular ring of the Nibelungs was a predictable TS. (Alberich, in case you forgot.) Seems more of a TOC level clue. I got it, but I own a CD set of Das Rheingold as well as the other 3 operas in the cycle. I've listened to it many times and followed along in the little book. (Libretto, in case you forgot.)

I also got the 9-LETTER WORD FOR ZEALOUSLY AUTHORITATIVE. I have to think at least one of the contestants thought of it but didn't want to ring in. Unless you have a savant-ish ability to instantly count the letters in any word, clues like that can be intimidating. If the category had been "O" instead of "OFF", I might have clammed myself. But spotted three letters (and possibly mistakenly thinking those three had to come first), I was pretty confident.

The 10-LETTER WORD FOR EVIL SCHEMES clue needed to be reworded. "Diabolical" does not mean "evil schemes". I know the category specified that the correct response would be an adjective. So given time, I might have overcome the misstatement and figured things out.

I said "pathetic" for the word meaning you're inadequate or arouse compassion. Like Shambolic, I assume that's what they were going for. But it would be nice to know. As soon as Dan said "pitiful", I knew they had to take it. I wonder if they stopped taping to make that ruling or just gave Alex a thumbs up from the bench.

I first heard the Persian Gulf called the Arabian Gulf in 1985 on a flight to Saudi Arabia to visit my parents. (Dad worked for Shell Oil Co. and they did a 3-year stint there). I was seated next to a friendly young Arab and we'd been chatting off and on during the flight from London. (At one point, as the flight attendant drew near, he asked me curiously if I was going to order something alcoholic. The fascination of the forbidden in his case. In my case it was the lure of the suddenly NOT forbidden. I was 19 at the time and yet in a situation where it was not illegal for me to pay too much money for a cup of watery beer. Of COURSE I'm going to order some alcohol!) As we neared our destination I was able to look out the window and see the gulf. Either I asked or my Arab friend simply volunteered that it was the Arabian Gulf. When he saw my blank look he hesitated briefly and then conceded, "You may know a different name."

Dan lost the coin flip on Greek city-state and gave the rebound to Charlie. TPH has mentioned that he would like to be able to yell "WHAT. IS. SPARTA?!?!" in a Jeopardy! game. But imagine if Dan had done that with his wrong response. That's a nightmare scenario that makes me think I'd be too chicken to go for a novelty response on the actual show. We saw that happen once with a contestant who responded, "Who is Bond? James Bond?" in his best Connery accent. I don't remember what the correct response was, but it wasn't Bond. Ouch.

Another potential novelty response could have come from Charlie with his last second blurting out of the actor in The King's Speech. "What's the Rush, Alex?"

Charlie was the one with the best guess on FJ. Dan's guess of "witches" was pure desperation, and he clearly knew it. Kudos to the man for taking the shot. Cathy also appeared pretty sure she was wrong. Her guess of "muses" was a little more sophisticated. Homer does begin The Iliad by invoking "the muse" (presumably Calliope, the muse of epic poetry). That could make it sound as though he thinks there's only one, but really he's just invoking the one who's relevant to his purpose. In any event, there are 9 muses all told.

Charlie's guess of "Furies" came closest to satisfying the constraints of the clue. The Furies are traditionally three in number and they are sisters. The name sounds like something that could come from the Greek for "terrible". They were the first response I thought of. When Alex gave the correct response, he joked with Charlie, "That was your second choice". I don't know if that's true of Charlie, but it's true of me. And in my case, I went with that second choice.
Spoiler
This is turning into a rough week for FJs for some boardies, eh?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

So much.for Holzhauser redefining the way J! is played. I thought this was a rerun at first with the contestants going top down.
Answered 'pathetic' for 'pitiful'. Poll question, please?
IGot FJ. Wonder what TPTB would've done if someone responded " What are Medusae"? :geek:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DBear wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:49 pm So much.for Holzhauser redefining the way J! is played. I thought this was a rerun at first with the contestants going top down.
IGot FJ. Wonder what TPTB would've done if someone responded " What are Medusae"? :geek:
Poll request seen. These games were taped before April 4, so the players had not seen James play.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

DBear wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:49 pm So much.for Holzhauser redefining the way J! is played. I thought this was a rerun at first with the contestants going top down.
James's episodes had not been broadcasted yet back when this episode was taped. It probably won't be until next season when we start seeing contestants trying to play like him.

As far as my thoughts on the game, gotta give major props to our current champion Charlie for doing great on what I thought was a tough board. Outside of "Super Mario Bros", which came to me easily as a video game nerd, almost all the other clues I drew a blank on. Charlie did an excellent job having a runaway game with such a hard board!
Last edited by CasualJeopardyFan19 on Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I thought the late end of his run was when contestants were first able to see what he could do.. :?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Yes to 'pitiful', no to the dwarf. I'm ALWAYS forgetting his damn name; today I got as far as "Al.....Al.....damnit!!!"
Plactus wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:45 pm Mario Bros. should have been ruled incorrect. The clue was asking for the game, and Mario Bros. came out in 1983 and didn't feature Peach (Toadstool).
Either they didn't know there was a game with that exact name, or they decided to be generous. Not sure how I feel about it...would've been a pretty brutal neg.

Instaget FJ, with a brief bit of doubt, wondering if the Furies fit, before sticking with my original answer. I wonder if that 'Homer's only one' was Medusa.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:20 pm I wonder if that 'Homer's only one' was Medusa.
Looks like it was just called "the Gorgon".
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Unless it happened in an un-archived game, contestants have never before been asked to come up with the name Alberich. His name does appear in three previous clues:

#4654, aired 2004-11-25 DOUBLE DOWN $1000: In the "Niebelunglied" this hero defeats the dwarf Alberich twice & takes his cloak of invisibility
Spoiler
Siegfried
#4478, aired 2004-02-11 OPERAS YOU'LL LIKE $200: Alberich & Mime are a pair of fascinating dwarfs in "Das Rheingold", an opera by this composer
Spoiler
TS for Wagner
#4311, aired 2003-05-05 GNOME-ENCLATURE $1000: In Wagner's "Das Rheingold", a power-mad gnome named Alberich steals the gold & forges it into one of these
Spoiler
a ring
skrambler
Sam Kavanaugh's Mustache

Post by skrambler »

brick wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:34 pm The way this show consistently ignores the ‘okina in the Hawai’ian language is sloppy and frustrating. The words lanai and Lana’i are different words!
Are you willing to give a brief rundown of the difference? That sounds interesting.
Audacious! Loquacious! Voracious!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Looking at my score, I have no idea how I got 37...that was a rough game...
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:15 am Dan got a correct response for pitiful while Alex was clearly looking for something else. What was the expected response? I was 0/5 in the category and it felt like salt on the skunk wound when I missed the FJ! clue as well not knowing what to do with Greek for "terrible."
One to three was enough for me, but the association with 'terrible' was nice confirmation.
xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:20 pm
Plactus wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:45 pm Mario Bros. should have been ruled incorrect. The clue was asking for the game, and Mario Bros. came out in 1983 and didn't feature Peach (Toadstool).
Either they didn't know there was a game with that exact name, or they decided to be generous. Not sure how I feel about it...would've been a pretty brutal neg.
"Mario Bros" wasn't ruled right or wrong. It's at Alex's discretion to let the contestant fix their answer while they still have time left which he did.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:35 pm

The 10-LETTER WORD FOR EVIL SCHEMES clue needed to be reworded. "Diabolical" does not mean "evil schemes". I know the category specified that the correct response would be an adjective. So given time, I might have overcome the misstatement and figured things out.

[/spoiler]
This 10-letter word for evil schemes means belonging to or involving the devil
It's applied to evil schemes, the clue states what it means...
For FJ I wrote Furies immediately and then realized it was wrong. If I could have remembered Medusa's name I would then have recalled she was a Gorgon...unfortunately, it took me another 35-40 seconds to bring those words to mind... :roll:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Absolutely dreadful game for me. Brain kept misfiring. Ended up with six negs, 0 right in DJ!, and a -$1,600 Coryat. NEGATIVE $1,600. I'm sure I could've gotten some right in DJ!, but partway through I just gave up because I was doing so dreadfully.

No guess on FJ! Correct response is utterly unfamiliar to me. I've heard of Medusa but not the other two. There's also a boss in Enter the Gungeon called the Gorgun, but the connection never registered since I didn't know the underlying myth.