Thursday, February 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, February 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6309, 2012-02-09

2012 College Championship semifinal game 2.

CONTESTANTS
Jaime Alayon, a sophomore at the George Washington University from Miami, Florida
Greer Mackebee, a senior at Duke University from Knoxville, Tennessee
Sarah Bart, a senior at Goucher College from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome back to our show. Marvelous kickoff to the semifinals yesterday--Monica Thieu winning it. She was in third place going into the final round, but she's the only one who managed to come up with the correct response. And so she has qualified as a finalist. Which of these three will qualify also--Sarah, Greer, or Jaime? We'll find out in this half-hour. Good luck. Here comes the Jeopardy! Round for you. And these are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE ANIMAL KINGDOM (3/5)
GO OUT OR STAY IN? (4/5)
NAKED-ITY (4/5)
IT'S THE LAW! (5/5)
NONFICTION (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
IN THE URBAN DICTIONARY (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sarah: 13 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Jaime: 9 R, 2 W
Greer: 2 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jaime: $5,400
Sarah: $1,400
Greer: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jaime Alayon from Miami, Florida, had one of those scary episodes, I understand. In the Everglades, was it?

Jaime: Yes, I was in the Everglades, uh, canoeing, taking a nice, leisurely stroll through the S--through the swamp. Uh, then the canoe flipped over--alligator-infested waters--and, uh, as you can tell, I lived, so not too bad.

Alex: But did you encounter any alligators? Did you see any come up close to you and say, "Mmm, lunch"?

Jaime: Not--not while I was in the water, but while--while canoeing, we saw a fair--fair amount.

Alex: But it was a frightening experience?

Jaime: Sure was.

Alex: Okay.

Jaime: Greer Mackebee is from Knoxville, Tennessee. Speaking of canoes, you are part of a group that builds...

Greer: Concrete canoes, yes. Um, uh, we have the student chapter of the American Society of Civil Engineers on campus, and we have our own special recipe to keep 'em afloat.

Alex: And, well, how big are these canoes, and how heavy are they?

Greer: They weigh a lot. We have to take 'em in the back of a U-Haul, and we can fit usually four. There are different races for different numbers.

Alex: Uh-huh.

Greer: Both guys and girls.

Alex: Okay. How do you get into that?

Greer: The same way you get in a regular canoe.

Alex: No, I meant, how do you get into making...

Greer: Oh. [Laughs]

[Laughter and applause]

Alex: I am here, as you can see, ladies and gentlemen, as a mere foil to these brilliant students. Don't say another word.

Alex: Sarah Bart--a senior at Goucher in Baltimore. And I think a lot of the students would enjoy being a student at goucher because it's mandatory that you students do what?

Sarah: We have to study abroad at some point during our time there.

Alex: Aw. Poor kids.

[Sarah laughs.]

Alex: Did you go abroad?

Sarah: Yeah. I was just in London last semester.

Alex: And what was memorable about that?

Sarah: Everything, but...

[Laughter]

Sarah: Um, I also went to Prague, Amsterdam, Rome, Cardiff, and Dublin, so--

Alex: I was in Prague just this past year--

Sarah: Oh, really?

Alex: --with my family. Beautiful city, isn't it?

Sarah: Yeah, I loved it.

Alex: Yeah, it was great.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sarah found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Sarah had $1,800, Greer had $800, and Jaime was at $5,400. Sarah made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,800.

NONFICTION $800: Sebastian Junger re-creates the final hours of a fishing boat during a devastating nor'easter in this bestseller

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
IN THE URBAN DICTIONARY $400: A carnevoyeur is one of these who derives pleasure from watching others eat meat

NAKED-ITY $1000: Writing on the destruction of the best minds of his generation, this poet also said they were "starving hysterical naked"

NONFICTION $400: This late first lady's "Historic Conversations on Life With" her husband was a No. 1 bestseller in 2011
(Sarah: Who is Nancy Reagan?)

GO OUT OR STAY IN? $600: Stay in with a DVD of this 2011 film whose title is an African-American wedding tradition

THE ANIMAL KINGDOM $600: Found in Southeast Asia, the siamang is the largest of these smallest apes

THE ANIMAL KINGDOM $1000: It's the American salamander seen here; we wonder if its bark is worse than its bite
(Sarah: What is a Dalmatian?)
(Jaime: What is a dog salamander?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Sarah: $7,000
Jaime: $4,000
Greer: $1,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, February 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GAME OF THRONES (3/5)
THEATER (4/5)
WORLD CAPITALS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FAST-FOOD FOREIGN MENU (5/5)
FESTIVALS (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"OH" MY! (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sarah: 15 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Greer: 8 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 0 W
Jaime: 2 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sarah snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Sarah had $9,000, Greer had $1,600, and Jaime was at $3,200. Sarah wagered $4,000.

WORLD CAPITALS $1600: This Scandinavian capital's Kon-Tiki museum houses mementos of Thor Heyerdahl's voyages
(Alex: He was Norwegian.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Greer who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Sarah had $24,600, Greer had $8,400, and Jaime was at $4,800. Greer wagered $6,000.

FESTIVALS $800: A Japanese lantern lighting ceremony is a part of this 2 week long spring festival in Washington, D.C.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
GAME OF THRONES $400: Returned to Scotland in 1996, the Stone of Scone sat for 700 years under the coronation throne in this country
(Alex: It was in Westminster Abbey in [*])

GAME OF THRONES $1200: The Palatine Chapel in Aachen, Germany contains the simple marble & bronze throne of this first Holy Roman Emperor

THEATER $2000: A play starring Samuel L. Jackson takes its title from a line in Martin Luther King's last speech, "I've been to" this summit

FESTIVALS $1600: The film festival in this Colorado mining town began in 1974 with screenings at the Sheridan Opera House
(Jaime: What is Sundance?)

FESTIVALS $2000: Newton, Kansas has an annual festival in July honoring this cattle trail that ended farther north in Abilene

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Sarah: $25,800
Greer: $14,400
Jaime: $3,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CHARACTERS IN POETRY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Sarah: Wager $3,001 to cover Greer, but no more than $19,399 so as not to fall behind Jaime's doubled score.
Greer: You have the hope of surpassing Sarah if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $11,401 to force Sarah to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $7,999 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Jaime.
Jaime: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The name of this title heroine of an 1847 poem is from the Greek for "good news"

FINAL SCORES
Jaime: $3,200 - $3,199 = $1 (Who is ???) (3rd place: $10,000)
Greer: $14,400 - $11,401 = $2,999 (Who is Persephone?) (2nd place: $10,000)
Sarah: $25,800 + $3,500 = $29,300 (Who is Evangeline) (Finalist)
(Alex: [To Sarah] Yes. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Sarah: $22,400, 28 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Greer: $9,200, 10 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Jaime: $3,200, 11 R, 5 W
Combined Coryat: $34,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Sarah: 29/60 = .483
Jaime: 11/58 = .190
Greer: 10/59 = .169
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
IT'S THE LAW! $1000: It could cost you to stroll around in a bathing suit in this island nation, site of a 1983 U.S. invasion
[Applause for Jaime's run of the category]

NAKED-ITY $200: Legend says this wife of the Lord of Coventry horsed around to say, "Read my lips. Reduce heavy taxes"
(Alex: Yeah, but who was looking at her lips?)

GO OUT OR STAY IN? $1000: Go out & see or stay in & hear a live broadcast performance of this Garrison Keillor radio show
[Applause for Sarah's run of the category]

THE ANIMAL KINGDOM $200: L.A. pet owners know that these creatures have moved into urban areas, like our canyons

THE ANIMAL KINGDOM $400: Shawnee Indians referred to this large member of the deer family as the wapiti
(Jaime: What is the moose?)

WORLD CAPITALS $800: This Down Under capital city bears the name of the duke who defeated Napoleon
(Jaime: What is Canberra?)

GAME OF THRONES $800: The throne of this youthful king depicts him & his wife Ankhesenamun bathed in the sun's protective rays

FAST-FOOD FOREIGN MENU $800: In France, this franchise specializes in "longs sandwiches" that are "prepares sous vos yeux"
(Jaime: What is Burger King?)

GAME OF THRONES $1600: The throne seen here is known as the cathedra, or chair, of this saint

GAME OF THRONES $2000: You'll find the throne seen here in Deoksugung Palace in this capital city
(Sarah: What is Beijing?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
The Perfect Storm
a vegetarian
Allen Ginsberg
Jackie Kennedy
Jumping the Broom
gibbons
a water dog (or a mud puppy) salamander
Oslo
the Cherry Blossom festival
England
Charlemagne
the mountaintop
Telluride
the Chisholm Trail
Evangeline
Grenada
Lady Godiva
A Prairie Home Companion
coyotes
an elk
Wellington
King Tut
Subway
Saint Peter
Seoul
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, February 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Characters in Poetry
The name of this title heroine of an 1847 poem is from the Greek for "good news".
Spoiler
What is Evangeline? Jaime had no guess. Greer said Persephone
Sarah: $25,800+$3,500=$29,300
Greer: 14,400-$11,401=$2,999
Jaime: 3,200-$3,199=$1
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I have never read that poem.

I had no idea when it was written, I could not have told you even the century.

I have no idea it is about.

I had no idea who wrote it.

I do not know the Greek word mentioned in the clue.

But I took a wild guess on a poem that has a female sounding name and got it right.

That is why you put something down rather than nothing.
stumpy
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by stumpy »

Can You give a hint as to who will win tomorrows game, cause I want to know if there will be 3 ladies in the finals
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

stumpy wrote:Can You give a hint as to who will win tomorrows game, cause I want to know if there will be 3 ladies in the finals
None of us here know the outcome of tomorrow's game, as it has not aired yet...unless one of the players from tomorrow's game, or someone who was in the audience, showed up here and posted the results, but doing so would be against their agreement to not spoil the outcome, and therefore that's not going to happen. Thus, you're going to have to watch the show, same as everyone else.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

stumpy wrote:Can You give a hint as to who will win tomorrows game, cause I want to know if there will be 3 ladies in the finals
I suggest checking out eBay for deals on time machines or flux capacitors.

In return I expect you to come back and tell us your findings. And PM me by telling me how well I'll do in my games (and when they'll air. Since I haven't even auditioned yet, I'd love to know!)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

sorry about that just wanted to make sure wether that was allowed or not
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

what would you say is the most memorable 2012 college tourney moment so far?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Maybe it's too much math to do in that situation, and it didn't matter in the end, but I thought Greer's DD wager wasn't large enough. I was fully prepared for Sarah to answer the last 3 clues and lock him out anyway.

FJ should've been instaget, I could see the right answer in my head, but I couldn't pull the trigger on it for the life of me...BAH.

When Alex said "...but who was looking at her lips?" after that Lady Godiva clue, my immediate thought was...not G-rated. I wonder if Alex knew he left that one hanging over the middle of the plate.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

Congratulations to Sarah on a great game. Evangeline was an Instaget. Are they not teaching that in American Lit anymore?
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

I had no hope for FJ, even if you had mentioned the poem was by Wadsworth. Heck, if you had spotted me the first letter E, then I probably would've said "Elizabeth."

Congrats to Sarah on a dominating win.

Nice one by Greer during the interview segment.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Nice game. Initially, I thought "eu..." but that wasn't happening, then connected "good news" to "Gospel," and everything fell into place.

Nice win, I've been very happy that the quality of questions in this tournament has been quite decent. I think a lot of the stumpers tonight would get regular contestants (though someone would get Charlemagne, I would hope).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Austin Powers wrote:Nice game. Initially, I thought "eu..." but that wasn't happening
That's how I started, too, but when that didn't work, I just started with the "e" and Evangeline was the only thing that I could think of.
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

Austin Powers wrote:Nice game. Initially, I thought "eu..." but that wasn't happening, then connected "good news" to "Gospel," and everything fell into place.

Nice win, I've been very happy that the quality of questions in this tournament has been quite decent. I think a lot of the stumpers tonight would get regular contestants (though someone would get Charlemagne, I would hope).
The evangelist/Evangeline symmetry occured to me as well.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

SkoolRN wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:Nice game. Initially, I thought "eu..." but that wasn't happening, then connected "good news" to "Gospel," and everything fell into place.

The evangelist/Evangeline symmetry occured to me as well.
It occured to me too...

AFTER I read these posts.

But that's OK. I had never heard of Evangeline before tonight.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Jacobson00
Contributor

Post by Jacobson00 »

Wow very good game by sarah. Jaime again, don't know what happen in fj. Looking forward to a 3 girls finales...but that matt guy is fierce

Fj was hard tonight.
sbart518

Post by sbart518 »

Hi, Sarah from Goucher here.
My thought process for FJ was that, if it's a name in American poetry, it will either be Annabel Lee or Evangeline. Clearly wasn't going to be Annabel Lee, so boom.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Rather surprised that J! would have a clue on the 'race card', considering how they bend over backwards to get women and minorities on the show.

FJ: good news=gospel, derp, derp.... Evangeline! (whew)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

xxaaaxx wrote:I wonder if Alex knew he left that one hanging over the middle of the plate.
I smacked it for a homer.