Thursday, February 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Thursday, February 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman »

Maybe Mark can have "I had dirty thoughts during Thursday's interview segment" as a poll option.

I wonder how TPH did on the non-hoity toity food category.

I agree the DD bet way too small. He trailed $24,600-$8,400 and bets $6,000 with $4,800 left on the board. So she can wrap up the lock by running the rest of the board.

I understand doing the math that quickly under the pressure is tough. But I'm thinking that I'm out of the game if I'm wrong. So I'll just bet it all (or all but a dollar to be around for FJ) without even thinking to maximize my chances of getting back in the game.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:Maybe Mark can have "I had dirty thoughts during Thursday's interview segment" as a poll option.
Didn't even cross my mind until I came here.
Bamaman wrote:I wonder how TPH did on the non-hoity toity food category.
Since he's fluent in Spanish, he definitely got at least a few of them. I'll guess he ran it.
Bamaman wrote:I understand doing the math that quickly under the pressure is tough. But I'm thinking that I'm out of the game tournament if I'm wrong. So I'll just bet it all (or all but a dollar to be around for FJ) without even thinking to maximize my chances of getting back in the game.
Fixed that for you.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Congratulations, Sarah. That was quite a dominating performance you put on there. But for Greer hitting that DD, you were coasting to a lock. Nice icing getting the FJ also. Count me among the clueless.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

SkoolRN wrote:Are they not teaching that in American Lit anymore?
No. I had no freaking clue. Couldn't even come up with anything that remotely sounded like an answer. THAT is why I so often put "What is I have no freaking clue", because I can't even muster up a decent WAG.
xxaaaxx wrote:When Alex said "...but who was looking at her lips?" after that Lady Godiva clue, my immediate thought was...not G-rated. I wonder if Alex knew he left that one hanging over the middle of the plate.
You think that's bad. I saw "horsing around" and almost blurted out Catherine the Great.

Also, I bit HARD on the negbait for Canberra instead of Wellington. I honestly didn't know that NZ is also considered Down Under.

Seriously. Why do I ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS fall for the @#*($#@(ing negbait?!?!

Bpmod, bamaman — Indeed, I ran Fast Food.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CGeditor
Valued Contributor

Post by CGeditor »

Great game, Sarah!
I got Evangeline instantly, both from the "Authors" card game and from knowing that evangelical/evangelism/evangelist all come from "euangelion."
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Also, I bit HARD on the negbait for Canberra instead of Wellington. I honestly didn't know that NZ is also considered Down Under.

Seriously. Why do I ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS fall for the @#*($#@(ing negbait?!?!
It's not negbait (although I went there also). It's you have to pay attention to the WHOLE clue. Duke that beat Napolean is pretty pavlov if you can ignore the less important parts. (Of course, deciding what's important is the real battle.)
Bpmod, bananaman — Indeed, I ran Fast Food.
Hi name is Bamaman. It took me a while to figure it out too.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

bpmod wrote:It's not negbait (although I went there also). It's you have to pay attention to the WHOLE clue. Duke that beat Napolean is pretty pavlov if you can ignore the less important parts. (Of course, deciding what's important is the real battle.)
Then why do I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS etc. etc. tune out the wrong part of the clue?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Speaking of mixing up TOMs, on the picture of the salamander, I said "tree lizard" based on the bit about the bark.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:Speaking of mixing up TOMs, on the picture of the salamander, I said "tree lizard" based on the bit about the bark.
You're I'm in good company, then.

Brian

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

bpmod wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Speaking of mixing up TOMs, on the picture of the salamander, I said "tree lizard" based on the bit about the bark.
You're I'm in good company, then.

Brian
I almost did the same thing too, but I clammed. That clue seemed pretty obtuse.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Also, I bit HARD on the negbait for Canberra instead of Wellington. I honestly didn't know that NZ is also considered Down Under.
Heck, it's even more Down Under than Australia is!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:
Heck, it's even more Down Under than Australia is!
Yes, but I didn't know the nickname also applied to NZ.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

sbart518 wrote:Hi, Sarah from Goucher here.
My thought process for FJ was that, if it's a name in American poetry, it will either be Annabel Lee or Evangeline. Clearly wasn't going to be Annabel Lee, so boom.
Way to go Sarah! Boom, indeed!
Jacobson00
Contributor

Post by Jacobson00 »

Congratulation Sarah, you were superb!
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bamaman wrote:I have never read that poem.

I had no idea when it was written, I could not have told you even the century.

I have no idea it is about.

I had no idea who wrote it.

I do not know the Greek word mentioned in the clue.

But I took a wild guess on a poem that has a female sounding name and got it right.

That is why you put something down rather than nothing.
Funny, I thought you had the same Alabama education as I did -- I remember reading it in 11th grade English (but that was at Bradshaw -- YMMV). "This is the forest primeval..," about the Acadians who got kicked out of what's now Nova Scotia, yada yada yada.

I backed into it from the Greek word -- couldn't think of "good news" at first, then recalled the word "evangilist," spreading the Good News (not trying to wax religious here, just remember what the word meant), then jumped to Evangeline, and realized it all fell into place.
Trustbuster
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Trustbuster »

I am very, very glad I was not on this year's show. Either I'm rusty, or out of my league in my old age.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Sorry, I'm a Coffee grad, class of 1985. Like I said, I'd heard of it, but that's it.

BTW, Coffee and Bradshaw merged a few years ago to form Florence High School. Nickname is Falcons. I didn't know if you still had contact with the hometown.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote:Maybe Mark can have "I had dirty thoughts during Thursday's interview segment" as a poll option.
That seems bush league to me.

Wellington was a close call as I had "Can" during Alex's reading, but was ready to get it right by the time he was done.

The FJ clue had me doing a quick detour to Annabel Lee as well. A second later I was done with Evangeline locked in. It was a good feeling to know it was a lock.
butler77
Contributor

Post by butler77 »

Well done Sarah. You seemed more at ease tonight than your first game. I also had Evangeline.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote:
That seems bush league to me.
Heh heh heh, you said bush.

/too far?