Monday, July 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, July 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by heppm01 »

Ironically got FJ because I precalled the correct city, despite totally mis-parsing the clue. My brain thought the 50th anniversary pinned a date to 1592. Derp!
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:12 am [

i watched some of the game, saw the hideous uniforms and didn't get the clue correct...
Counterpoint: Those uniforms are gorgeous and the Nationals aren't fit to wear them.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

This game's FJ was a major trap for a younger player with a crush lead over an older player. Expo '67 was well known at the time but the reference window for it has long closed. Good knowledge on the champ's part to get it.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

harrumph wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:49 pm This game's FJ was a major trap for a younger player with a crush lead over an older player. Expo '67 was well known at the time but the reference window for it has long closed. Good knowledge on the champ's part to get it.
He continues to exhibit a knowledge base well beyond his years. There have been a few clues that were easy for me, and left me wondering how the heck he knew them.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

49 R (I'm really sorry to say that I missed Satchel Page and Pedro Martinez. I also missed Junket, Sam Kinison, and Vanguard.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Baked, Sealing Wax/Ceiling Wax, George R. R. Martin, Lily James, Three Mile Limit, Juilliard
Douglas Squasoni
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

alietr wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:08 pm
harrumph wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:49 pm This game's FJ was a major trap for a younger player with a crush lead over an older player. Expo '67 was well known at the time but the reference window for it has long closed. Good knowledge on the champ's part to get it.
He continues to exhibit a knowledge base well beyond his years. There have been a few clues that were easy for me, and left me wondering how the heck he knew them.
He's posted on reddit that he's done quiz bowl, which I would guess accounts to a significant extent for his knowledge base.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MartinMoore wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:09 am Didn't Alex say the J-6 category was for 6-letter words starting with J? Jet lag is two words.
I thought the same thing. But these days God alone knows how people use words. People use "words" such as "awhile" for "a while" (they would never write "aweek" instead of "a week") and "ballpark" for "ball park." Sometimes the language changes. Sometimes it mutates.

Meanwhile I thought this was the toughest couple of boards I've suffered through in a while. After running the category in J-6 it was all downhill from there. 9 (NINE!!) freaking total gets in the DJ round. I hang my head in abject shame.

Congrats to the champ on handling this game onstage way better than I did at home. Nice 3-game run that will be tough for ordinary opponents to derail tonight.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

buckeyebrain wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:38 am
CasketRomance wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:09 am sam kinison in the 600 box seemed undervalued...probably should have been bottom box...got it right, but don't believe it was a middle value clue
Surely, I'm not the only one that saw that clue, and the contestants struggling with it, and yelled "SAY IT! SAAAAAY IIIIIIIT!!!!" at the TV....
LOL...awesome
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MartinMoore wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:09 am Didn't Alex say the J-6 category was for 6-letter words starting with J? Jet lag is two words.
Yes, Alex did say that. And when Ryan gave the response, Alex confirmed, "That's a 6-letter word starting with J". So either they consider jetlag to be an acceptable variant or they think of jet lag as one word with 6 letters and a space in the middle.
davey

Post by davey »

John Boy wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:38 pm
I thought the same thing. But these days God alone knows how people use words. People use "words" such as "awhile" for "a while" (they would never write "aweek" instead of "a week") and "ballpark" for "ball park." Sometimes the language changes. Sometimes it mutates.

Meanwhile I thought this was the toughest couple of boards I've suffered through in a while. After running the category in J-6 it was all downhill from there. 9 (NINE!!) freaking total gets in the DJ round. I hang my head in abject shame.

Congrats to the champ on handling this game onstage way better than I did at home. Nice 3-game run that will be tough for ordinary opponents to derail tonight.
If it's an acrostic puzzle, say, "jet lag" should be considered 2 words, but evidently J! doesn't follow those rules, and they found jet lag in the dictionary with its own entry, so... :roll:
I might argue with that, but awhile as one word? Been around since the 13th C., says the OED. It's an adverb.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was born in 1967 so maybe that helped it be an instaget.

I am having to play FJ from the game threads because Direct TV has stopped carrying the station that carries the show in Birmingham. I miss the Reddit guy.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Rare to have NHOIs in a word category, but "Jovian" and "junket" were not even remotely familiar to me.

I thought "wax" by itself should've gotten a BMS. I'm a wordplay guy, but I couldn't wrap my brain around any of those except $400.

I don't remember him specifying that the Languages category required you to give the author. Nor do I remember him giving an LTaM.

DJ! felt very tough. Other than running Mammals, I was pretty much hosed all the way around.

1967? I can't think of a single thing that happened in 1967 that was internationally famous. I just had an absolute mental block and couldn't get anywhere.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Why did Sarah select the first clue in Double Jeopardy!?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:59 am Why did Sarah select the first clue in Double Jeopardy!?
They forgot the rules?
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Some reports this week of Tom Brady's imminent(?) retirement include the bit that he is the last active athlete to have been drafted by the Montreal Expos.
I'm smart and I want respect.