Monday, July 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 425
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:30 pm

Re: Monday, July 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by heppm01 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:55 am

Ironically got FJ because I precalled the correct city, despite totally mis-parsing the clue. My brain thought the 50th anniversary pinned a date to 1592. Derp!

jev15
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:20 pm

Re: Monday, July 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jev15 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:23 pm

CasketRomance wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:12 am
[

i watched some of the game, saw the hideous uniforms and didn't get the clue correct...
Counterpoint: Those uniforms are gorgeous and the Nationals aren't fit to wear them.

harrumph
Voyeur
Posts: 1691
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:00 pm
Location: Princeton, NJ

Re: Monday, July 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by harrumph » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:49 pm

This game's FJ was a major trap for a younger player with a crush lead over an older player. Expo '67 was well known at the time but the reference window for it has long closed. Good knowledge on the champ's part to get it.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6661
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Monday, July 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:08 pm

harrumph wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:49 pm
This game's FJ was a major trap for a younger player with a crush lead over an older player. Expo '67 was well known at the time but the reference window for it has long closed. Good knowledge on the champ's part to get it.
He continues to exhibit a knowledge base well beyond his years. There have been a few clues that were easy for me, and left me wondering how the heck he knew them.

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws
Posts: 1150
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Monday, July 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:43 pm

49 R (I'm really sorry to say that I missed Satchel Page and Pedro Martinez. I also missed Junket, Sam Kinison, and Vanguard.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Baked, Sealing Wax/Ceiling Wax, George R. R. Martin, Lily James, Three Mile Limit, Juilliard
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 129.7k games
Alpaca Farm: 1316 quizzes

User avatar
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits
Posts: 2402
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 am

Re: Monday, July 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by hbomb1947 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:47 pm

alietr wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:08 pm
harrumph wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:49 pm
This game's FJ was a major trap for a younger player with a crush lead over an older player. Expo '67 was well known at the time but the reference window for it has long closed. Good knowledge on the champ's part to get it.
He continues to exhibit a knowledge base well beyond his years. There have been a few clues that were easy for me, and left me wondering how the heck he knew them.
He's posted on reddit that he's done quiz bowl, which I would guess accounts to a significant extent for his knowledge base.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2480
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Monday, July 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:38 pm

MartinMoore wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:09 am
Didn't Alex say the J-6 category was for 6-letter words starting with J? Jet lag is two words.
I thought the same thing. But these days God alone knows how people use words. People use "words" such as "awhile" for "a while" (they would never write "aweek" instead of "a week") and "ballpark" for "ball park." Sometimes the language changes. Sometimes it mutates.

Meanwhile I thought this was the toughest couple of boards I've suffered through in a while. After running the category in J-6 it was all downhill from there. 9 (NINE!!) freaking total gets in the DJ round. I hang my head in abject shame.

Congrats to the champ on handling this game onstage way better than I did at home. Nice 3-game run that will be tough for ordinary opponents to derail tonight.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2334
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Monday, July 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:43 pm

buckeyebrain wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:38 am
CasketRomance wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:09 am
sam kinison in the 600 box seemed undervalued...probably should have been bottom box...got it right, but don't believe it was a middle value clue
Surely, I'm not the only one that saw that clue, and the contestants struggling with it, and yelled "SAY IT! SAAAAAY IIIIIIIT!!!!" at the TV....
LOL...awesome

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6802
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Monday, July 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:29 pm

MartinMoore wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:09 am
Didn't Alex say the J-6 category was for 6-letter words starting with J? Jet lag is two words.
Yes, Alex did say that. And when Ryan gave the response, Alex confirmed, "That's a 6-letter word starting with J". So either they consider jetlag to be an acceptable variant or they think of jet lag as one word with 6 letters and a space in the middle.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3508
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Monday, July 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:04 pm

John Boy wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:38 pm
MartinMoore wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:09 am
Didn't Alex say the J-6 category was for 6-letter words starting with J? Jet lag is two words.
I thought the same thing. But these days God alone knows how people use words. People use "words" such as "awhile" for "a while" (they would never write "aweek" instead of "a week") and "ballpark" for "ball park." Sometimes the language changes. Sometimes it mutates.

Meanwhile I thought this was the toughest couple of boards I've suffered through in a while. After running the category in J-6 it was all downhill from there. 9 (NINE!!) freaking total gets in the DJ round. I hang my head in abject shame.

Congrats to the champ on handling this game onstage way better than I did at home. Nice 3-game run that will be tough for ordinary opponents to derail tonight.
If it's an acrostic puzzle, say, "jet lag" should be considered 2 words, but evidently J! doesn't follow those rules, and they found jet lag in the dictionary with its own entry, so... :roll:
I might argue with that, but awhile as one word? Been around since the 13th C., says the OED. It's an adverb.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 9215
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Monday, July 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:22 am

harrumph wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:49 pm
This game's FJ was a major trap for a younger player with a crush lead over an older player. Expo '67 was well known at the time but the reference window for it has long closed. Good knowledge on the champ's part to get it.
I was born in 1967 so maybe that helped it be an instaget.

I am having to play FJ from the game threads because Direct TV has stopped carrying the station that carries the show in Birmingham. I miss the Reddit guy.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 7777
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Monday, July 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:27 pm

Rare to have NHOIs in a word category, but "Jovian" and "junket" were not even remotely familiar to me.

I thought "wax" by itself should've gotten a BMS. I'm a wordplay guy, but I couldn't wrap my brain around any of those except $400.

I don't remember him specifying that the Languages category required you to give the author. Nor do I remember him giving an LTaM.

DJ! felt very tough. Other than running Mammals, I was pretty much hosed all the way around.

1967? I can't think of a single thing that happened in 1967 that was internationally famous. I just had an absolute mental block and couldn't get anywhere.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Post Reply