Tuesday, July 9, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cthulhu
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, July 9, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by cthulhu »

I’ve never seen 300. I ruled out anybody from the Iliad right away; fifth century BCE is 700 years too late for the Trojan War and at least 200 years too late for Homer as well. “Cliffs” brought to mind Thermopylae, which led to Leonidas a few seconds later - plenty of time to write it down. Was very surprised it was a TS.

Very much enjoying Ryan’s solid DD wagering but he needs to regain his buzzer mojo and reduce his misses if he’s going to win much more.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

No chance on FJ for me. I have heard the name, but no idea who he was. I knew Alexander was wrong because he was in the 300s.

What was wrong with Hannah’s wager? Her score was lower than Ryan’s MSBIW score, so she had to improve her score to win. Yes, she could have bet differently and accomplished the same goal, but I don’t think it was a horrible bet. Much better than zero.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:30 am What was wrong with Hannah’s wager? Her score was lower than Ryan’s MSBIW score, so she had to improve her score to win. Yes, she could have bet differently and accomplished the same goal, but I don’t think it was a horrible bet. Much better than zero.
...but she did bet zero. She had to improve her score to win, and didn't even try. Am I misunderstanding your point?

Instaget FJ. AFAIK, even if the Trojan War was real, it was what, 1200 BC? Like a previous poster, I'm surprised we didn't get at least one Alexander guess.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Moreover, there was a single magic number (exactly $1600) that accomplishes everything (goes ahead of Ryan if Ryan misses, stays ahead of Kevin with Kevin's bet), and she didn't bet that number.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

Lefty wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:14 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:21 pm only leonidas i have heard of is a filipino poker player (toto) with that as his surname
There's also Leonidas of Rhodes, hero of four Olympic meetings.

Pheidippides was the only other name that came to my mind, but he was at best a border-line hero and Marathon was a plain.
And American Civil War general (Confederate) Leonidas Polk.

I too very briefly considered Pheidippides
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:26 am
Bamaman wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:30 am What was wrong with Hannah’s wager? Her score was lower than Ryan’s MSBIW score, so she had to improve her score to win. Yes, she could have bet differently and accomplished the same goal, but I don’t think it was a horrible bet. Much better than zero.
...but she did bet zero. She had to improve her score to win, and didn't even try. Am I misunderstanding your point?

Instaget FJ. AFAIK, even if the Trojan War was real, it was what, 1200 BC? Like a previous poster, I'm surprised we didn't get at least one Alexander guess.
Did you read the thread? At least two of us went with Alex the pretty decent.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I knew the correct FJ response had to be a historical rather than mythological figure. So that ruled out Achilles and Agamemnon. It also ruled out the guess I might have made anyway if I had remembered the guy's name--Aegeus, the father of Theseus. He famously threw himself off a cliff when he spotted his son's ship returning home with black sails. This pre-arranged signal indicated Theseus had died. But it turned out Theseus was just depressed about something and had forgotten to change the sails to white.

I ended up deciding it was probably the "This. Is. SPARTA!!!", "Tonight, we dine in hell" guy but I couldn't remember his name. I ended up not making a guess because I kept hoping something would come to me and, as the clock ran out, that it would be a very short name. I judge this clue to be tough but fair. I'll be interested to see how it polls.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:26 am

Sorry. I misread the post as her betting everything and dropping to zero. I didn’t actually see the game.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I know they pinned it to 'latest discovered major type' but that blood question felt neggy. 'O' is the universal donor, so wouldn't that be (if having to generally pick between the four) the preferred type?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
billiej

Post by billiej »

Volante wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:37 am I know they pinned it to 'latest discovered major type' but that blood question felt neggy. 'O' is the universal donor, so wouldn't that be (if having to generally pick between the four) the preferred type?
O is the universal donor for blood. AB is the universal plasma type.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

billiej wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:51 am
Volante wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:37 am I know they pinned it to 'latest discovered major type' but that blood question felt neggy. 'O' is the universal donor, so wouldn't that be (if having to generally pick between the four) the preferred type?
O is the universal donor for blood. AB is the universal plasma type.
Today I learned something!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MDaunt wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:01 pm 300 is bad history, but made this FJ easy.
If I had remembered the bad movie this would have been easy-peasy. Absent that connection, uh, not so much.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

55 R (Missed Temple Grandon, Jennifer Connelly, H. D. $2000, and New TV $1200 and $1600. I DID get Atlanta this time. ;) )
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Kubo and the Two Strings, Idaho, Workers, North Dakota, Center, Catacombs, Lawrence of Arabia, Hirohito, (Aurora), AB

David Teniers's "Archduke Leopold's Gallery" is one of my favorite paintings. I was very excited to see it come up today. :D
Douglas Squasoni
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:47 am I knew the correct FJ response had to be a historical rather than mythological figure. So that ruled out Achilles and Agamemnon. It also ruled out the guess I might have made anyway if I had remembered the guy's name--Aegeus, the father of Theseus. He famously threw himself off a cliff when he spotted his son's ship returning home with black sails. This pre-arranged signal indicated Theseus had died. But it turned out Theseus was just depressed about something and had forgotten to change the sails to white.

I ended up deciding it was probably the "This. Is. SPARTA!!!", "Tonight, we dine in hell" guy but I couldn't remember his name. I ended up not making a guess because I kept hoping something would come to me and, as the clock ran out, that it would be a very short name. I judge this clue to be tough but fair. I'll be interested to see how it polls.
Very similar experience here; I knew dozens it wasn't but couldn't dredge the right name out of the morass in time. My mind was running with "Sparta...Persians...Thermopylae...The 300...opposed Xerxes... What's that guy's NAME?"

Once again got a bruised forehead at the reveal. Dang.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:44 am Did you read the thread? At least two of us went with Alex the pretty decent.
I meant I was surprised we didn't get an Alexander guess on the show.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

LOL, just LOL at Odessa having 1500 miles of subways.

Ryan made the TDD of desperation to save what was otherwise an utterly mediocre game.

I knew that the correct answer on that blood type question was AB. Can someone calculate what difference it would have made in final if the challenger had either gotten it correct or stayed clam?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

floridagator wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:01 pm LOL, just LOL at Odessa having 1500 miles of subways.

Ryan made the TDD of desperation to save what was otherwise an utterly mediocre game.

I knew that the correct answer on that blood type question was AB. Can someone calculate what difference it would have made in final if the challenger had either gotten it correct or stayed clam?
Ryan Bilger: 17600-7201=10399 (4x = $107,049)
Hannah Safford: 8800-0=8800
Kevin: Paquette: 12400-5201=7199

Ryan: 17600
Hannah: 8800
Kevin: 14400 on a clam

14400 doubled is 28800
Ryan would need to bet 11201 and losing that would leave him with 6399.

Ryan: 17600
Hannah: 8800
Kevin: 16400 on a get

16400 doubled is 32800
Ryan would need to bet 15201 and losing that would leave him with 2399

Kevin's bet of 5201 was a play of going a buck above Ryan if Ryan bet nothing or above Hannah at 8800 doubling. Or both depending on his ciphering.

On the clam scenario that's 3201 for Kevin to be left with 11199.
On the get scenario that's 1201 for Kevin to be left with 15199.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Started off strong with an easy run of Films in Animated Movies, even if $400 and $600 are the only ones I've seen of the five.

I wonder if the triple neg on Idaho was due to the contestants following my thought process in thinking that "east" and "west" seemed like odd descriptors for a state that is mostly composed of a very long and narrow north-south section.

Surprisingly, I also ran Second Book in the Series.

Ran Big Box and and "H.D." in DJ!, but had only two other gets in that entire round: "matter" and surprisingly, David Sedaris.

NHO anything in that New TV category. "Atlanta" seemed like a very obscure choice for the top box.

No guess on FJ! Didn't recognize a word of this clue. I was able to match Thermopylae to Leonidas thanks to a passing familiarity with 300, though.

Lach Trash: Kubo and the Two Strings, North Dakota, center
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Blank on FJ, pure WAG on Leonidas. :o
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Thanks to Mark Barrett for the quick and thorough analysis.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.