2019 TOC Updates

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: 2019 TOC Updates

Post by triviawayne »

hanzz wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:51 am
triviawayne wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:34 am
Volante wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:32 pm
Golf wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:30 pm Note, when I say deserve, I mean solely by the standard metrics used for ToC inclusion.
*By the standard metrics we, the viewing public, have used.

Their game, their rules.
have they deviated from this "standard" in the past, other than for death of a contestant, running for public office, or involved in criminal charges?

It's not as if they put Nancy Zerg in the tournament to face Ken Jennings.

They have always said it is an invitational, so they can do what they want. Like any other game show, I suspect they make sure of that by using the words "at producer's discretion" when they need to, but then why have a tournament tracker on their website if there is no standard to apply to it?
One exception does not render the tracker worthless.
yet the tournament is an invitational, rendering the tracker worth less
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:25 am
hanzz wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:51 am
triviawayne wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:34 am
Volante wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:32 pm
Golf wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:30 pm Note, when I say deserve, I mean solely by the standard metrics used for ToC inclusion.
*By the standard metrics we, the viewing public, have used.

Their game, their rules.
have they deviated from this "standard" in the past, other than for death of a contestant, running for public office, or involved in criminal charges?

It's not as if they put Nancy Zerg in the tournament to face Ken Jennings.

They have always said it is an invitational, so they can do what they want. Like any other game show, I suspect they make sure of that by using the words "at producer's discretion" when they need to, but then why have a tournament tracker on their website if there is no standard to apply to it?
One exception does not render the tracker worthless.
yet the tournament is an invitational, rendering the tracker worth less
It's more a guideline than a rule.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf »

Volante wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:32 pm *By the standard metrics we, the viewing public, have used.
Volante wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:34 am It's more a guideline than a rule.
OK, prior to this, how many times over the last 35 years have TPTB gone against the standard metrics the viewing public have used for the ToC?
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Golf wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:32 pm
Volante wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:32 pm *By the standard metrics we, the viewing public, have used.
Volante wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:34 am It's more a guideline than a rule.
OK, prior to this, how many times over the last 35 years have TPTB gone against the standard metrics the viewing public have used for the ToC?
The tracker is a relatively recent addition to the website and hasn't been around very long in the context of J!'s history, and anyway I doubt most of the viewing public pays attention to how the TOC contestants are selected. "We" on this message board are certainly not representative of the viewing public.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I was surprised when they put up the tracker in the first place; I always assumed that they had never had one in the past (a) because it requires costly human-power to keep updated and (b) it would make a liar of itself the moment the producers decided to do something unorthodox or some external event out of the producers' control required a revision to the list.

I'm not saying they should take it down, but those who monitor it should know now, if they didn't before, to take it with a grain of salt.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:39 pm I was surprised when they put up the tracker in the first place; I always assumed that they had never had one in the past (a) because it requires costly human-power to keep updated and (b) it would make a liar of itself the moment the producers decided to do something unorthodox or some external event out of the producers' control required a revision to the list.

I'm not saying they should take it down, but those who monitor it should know now, if they didn't before, to take it with a grain of salt.
I guess Tournament of Champions simply means that as long as someone won a single game they qualify if the producers want them back...they are a Jeopardy champion, and it isn't the Tournament of the Top Winning Champions.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:11 am
I guess Tournament of Champions simply means that as long as someone won a single game they qualify if the producers want them back...they are a Jeopardy champion, and it isn't the Tournament of the Top Winning Champions.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:39 pm I was surprised when they put up the tracker in the first place; I always assumed that they had never had one in the past (a) because it requires costly human-power to keep updated and (b) it would make a liar of itself the moment the producers decided to do something unorthodox or some external event out of the producers' control required a revision to the list.

That seems silly. It's a huge leap from 3xer Emma being chosen to suggest that your scenario would ever happen.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

And word from the contestant coordinators is that winning three games qualifies one for the ToC.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

hbomb1947 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:06 pm

That seems silly. It's a huge leap from 3xer Emma being chosen to suggest that your scenario would ever happen.
If someone scores over $100,000 in a game, or even $150,000; then just has bad luck on game two...maybe they’d want that person back.

OF COURSE I’M BEING RIDICULOUS
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

Well anyway, with the controversy dying down I'm gonna go ahead and make my tiers. No particular order.

Gold: James Holzhauer, Josh Hill, Lindsey Shultz, Emma Boettcher, Eric R. Backes

SIlver: Kyle Jones, Anneke Garcia, Rob Worman, Ryan Fenster, Francois Barcomb

Bronze: Rachel Lindgren, Dhruv Gaur, Gilbert Collins, Alan Dunn, Steven Grade

Rough draft for now.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

finishemzoe wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:02 pm Well anyway, with the controversy dying down I'm gonna go ahead and make my tiers. No particular order.
Rough draft for now.
On the one hand, silver seems generous. (literally the lowest coryat of the bunch!)
On the other hand, coryat is IMO the easiest thing to improve upon through diligent study...
time will tell ;)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

RobW wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:05 pm
finishemzoe wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:02 pm Well anyway, with the controversy dying down I'm gonna go ahead and make my tiers. No particular order.
Rough draft for now.
On the one hand, silver seems generous. (literally the lowest coryat of the bunch!)
On the other hand, coryat is IMO the easiest thing to improve upon through diligent study...
time will tell ;)
Rob, we're counting on you for all the scuttlebutt! In the meantime, work that spindle!