Friday, July 19, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, July 19, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, July 19, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
STATES’ GOVERNORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It’s the only state to have had 4 female governors, 3 of whom served consecutively between 1997 & 2015

Nathan Kaplan: 9600-3264=6336
Kathleen O’Shea: minus 1000
Jason Zuffranieri: 25600+1000=26600 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Arizona (Nathan – Washington)

Daily Doubles
Nathan: 2200-2200
Jason: 8400+4000
Jason: 21200+2000

Coryats
Nathan: 11800
Kathleen: minus 1000
Jason: 22000

Combined: 32,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Nathan: 800
Kathleen: 200
Jason: 6800

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Five clues left unplayed was bound to happen with so many negs and category jumping.

No chance this time for Nathan to overcome being outplayed as Jason collected on both DD2 & DD3 to insure the runaway.

At times Kathleen was too good for her own sake being first in with an incorrect response.

The FJ! clue was a Dawson Crossin' that worked in my favor as I eliminated Alaska in considering if it was some kind of situation with Sarah Palin having company on either end of serving. I went the right way in recalling two of the J women for the correct spot for enough to tip the scales for a guess. I'll gladly take 4/5 for the week after having consecutive 40% weeks to start July.

Five games of regular play left in S35 and we'll see if all of the J! alums who attended get any camera time next week for having been at the taping on April 6th. I expect to hear a big roar when Alex steps out.

Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist

Post by Ironhorse »

Judges: Firewalking instead of walking on coals?
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ironhorse wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:04 pm
Judges: Firewalking instead of walking on coals?
That's what I had and counted it since the category had no specific requirements for a response. Now it will take 2 no votes to override our gets.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:15 am
The FJ! clue was a Dawson Crossin' that worked in my favor as I eliminated Alaska in considering if it was some kind of situation with Sarah Palin having company on either end of serving. I went the right way in recalling two of the J women for the correct spot for enough to tip the scales for a guess.
I knew it was AZ as I know the 3 women were a Jan (Brewer), a Janet (Napolitano), and a Jane (Dee Hull).

And yeah, firewalking should work.

bkellysky
Valued Contributor

Post by bkellysky »

I loved seeing the Saturn V Instrument Unit.
It saved the Apollo 12 mission. Astronauts wanted the Command Module to run the Saturn V rocket. While they had some options for control, the show was run from the Instrument Unit, not the Command Module. So when Apollo 12's Saturn V was hit by lightning, twice, the Instrument Unit was shielded and keep the rocket on course. The Command Module lost primary power, then a second strike scrambled the Command Module's guidance system. They would have lost control and had to abort if the Command Module was managing the Saturn V booster rocket.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

For some reason, J! started early on WNEM, so my recording was already 4 clues in. Got the missing pieces on Dailymotion.

0/5 in Tibet and African American Authors. Could've run Merriam-Webster but I had a brainfart on "cryptocurrency".

Devil in a Blue Dress = Los Angeles and Lake Managua = Nicaragua both felt obscure for the top box. Poll request for "Blue Dress" since it has only 7 archive hits, none of which require matching it to LA.

Not even a guess on FJ! Even if I name any state, it'd be the wrong one, I just know it.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

DBear

Post by DBear »

Wrong part of the country for me. Guessed Maine.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

The only women governors I could think of were Ann Richards and Christine Todd Whitman, and I knew Richards was in the wrong time, so I went NJ and hoped for the best.

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Was Nathan deliberately trying to come up with never before used TDD phrases or does he have a phobia of saying "true daily double"?

Yesterday it was something like "I'd like to try to double my score" I can't remember what he said tonight but it was equally awkward.

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

According to an article in an Albuquerque newspaper that someone posted a link to on Jason's FB page, he had nine in-person auditions before getting The Call. So he is a testament to perseverance, and an inspiration to those of us who've been trying to get on for many years.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

seaborgium wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:57 pm
The only women governors I could think of were Ann Richards and Christine Todd Whitman...
Congratulations on having been able to forget Sarah Palin.
Category 13 wrote:Was Nathan deliberately trying to come up with never before used TDD phrases or does he have a phobia of saying "true daily double"?
I'm sure he was just trying to show some personality. I thought it was a nice change of pace.

jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

Had no hope on FJ. I got stuck in New England and settled on New Hampshire with very little confidence. If I remember correctly, NH was the first state to have two women in the US Senate and a female governor at the same time.

BRD-98
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by BRD-98 »

Jason is a good guy and a stalwart of the trivia community. Here's hoping for a nice, productive run.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I looked at the list of female governors about a week ago and still didn't get this FJ right. Here's the list in case anyone is interested.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_f ... ted_States

Very nice showing by Jason!

tagNV
Member of Our Studio Audience

Post by tagNV »

hbomb1947 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:36 pm
According to an article in an Albuquerque newspaper that someone posted a link to on Jason's FB page, he had nine in-person auditions before getting The Call. So he is a testament to perseverance, and an inspiration to those of us who've been trying to get on for many years.
Not only that, Jason was in the same audition group in Phoenix in January 2017 as me and Tracy Bacon. He got the Call in March (of 2019), which means it was 2 years and 2 months between audition and Call. So some of you (including me?) might actually still be in the contestant pool without realizing it.

While I'm here, I'll note that Jason and I sat next to each other at the audition (he recognized me in the waiting area) and gave each other knowing glances when one of the clues they used mentioned Sudoku and implied it started in Japan (actually, the game was originally published by Dell in the US). Jason has attended several Sudoku World Championships and qualified to go this year. We also had a nice lunch together after the audition.

Even better, you don't have to take my word for it, our audition was taped and is still available online. You can see us when they pan the contestants (Jason is just left of me in the 3rd row, Tracy Bacon is nearly in front of me to the left). I took a still from the video (apologies for the graininess) where you can see all three of us.

For some reason, loading images isn't working for me. So try using this link to see the still.

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

hbomb1947 wrote:
Now that is interesting, and inspiring. I still have a few months left in the pool and this is my tenth time. (deep sigh)

I had no clue on this FJ. Let's see, what are the odds of guessing right? Ummm, one in 50? How close is Connecticut? 2,000+ miles and probably off by 2 female governors. What the heck do I know, anyway. At least I had the good sense to recognize that this would not be a strong category, and bet small.

Tonight's LT: snobbish, torrid, markers, King Solomon, and (from deep in the recesses of my memory of classical music) the opera Norma.

It was fun to watch both Nathan and the fellow he beat. Jason too. I enjoy seeing people get a chance on the show and come away with a reward for all their effort.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

hbomb1947 wrote:
It took me ten to get on Wheel.

I'm actually hoping to get J! on the first try.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent