Audition Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TheSpiceWeasel
Contributor

Re: Audition Emails

Post by TheSpiceWeasel »

scornel wrote:So I've pretty much accepted that I'm not going to get a confirmation email from when I replied for the March 27 audition in Philly. It just really pisses me off though that I haven't heard back either way! I sent an email stating that I did reply but haven't even received a reply to that! I don't how else you are supposed to get in touch with the them besides hitting the reply button in that initial congratulatory email.
How did you actually reply to the audition e-mail? Mine stated that I need to RSVP with those 4 pieces of information, but didn't really state how to do so. Am I just supposed to reply back to the e-mail I got?
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

TheSpiceWeasel wrote:Just got my e-mail for the Cleveland audition in May.

I'm almost 100% sure I didn't put down Cleveland as my city of choice though. I think I put down DC or something a lot closer to where I live (on the Eastern seaboard).

To those of you posting what your score was on the online test: how in the heck were you able to keep up with that? It was tough enough just typing in the answers before time was up!
Very shortly after the test concluded, some Good Samaritans posted all the clues and correct responses on this board. You'd then have to trust your memory from earlier in the evening to determine your score. Most people seem to find that not too difficult to do with the clues written out in front of you.
ten96lt
Valued Contributor

Post by ten96lt »

TheSpiceWeasel wrote:
scornel wrote:So I've pretty much accepted that I'm not going to get a confirmation email from when I replied for the March 27 audition in Philly. It just really pisses me off though that I haven't heard back either way! I sent an email stating that I did reply but haven't even received a reply to that! I don't how else you are supposed to get in touch with the them besides hitting the reply button in that initial congratulatory email.
How did you actually reply to the audition e-mail? Mine stated that I need to RSVP with those 4 pieces of information, but didn't really state how to do so. Am I just supposed to reply back to the e-mail I got?
That's basically what I did. I received the congratulatory email on Monday, replied the same day with the info they asked, and received the confirmation email with the details on Thursday.

Scornel: There's a phone number to call a coordinator in the congratulatory email if you need handicapped assistance; while I'm assuming you don't need that, that person may be able to help you with your issue. When I RSVP'd to the email I received, I also included a question regarding the online test for the College Tournament and the same person responded to my question; so that person might be able to help you.
TheSpiceWeasel wrote:To those of you posting what your score was on the online test: how in the heck were you able to keep up with that? It was tough enough just typing in the answers before time was up!
There are threads on this board that are dedicated to each day's test. Someone on this board (whoever does it, thank you for providing this service) records each test and transcribes it in the thread corresponding to the day it was administered along with the correct answers. As Slam said, seeing the questions copied onto text in front of you makes it a lot easier to recall what you answered for each question and compare it to the answers in the thread so you can grade yourself.

It's generally assumed around here that the passing score for an audition is 35. I believe that is the case because I own the 2003 PC game and one of the side games you can play is "Take the Contestant Exam" which is basically a practice version of the online exam, except the game will grade you. At the beginning of the "test," Alex comes on to explain it and he even says that "a score of 35 or over is considered passing." It's good practice, but I'm sure some of the questions are dated.
TheSpiceWeasel
Contributor

Post by TheSpiceWeasel »

ten96lt wrote:That's basically what I did. I received the congratulatory email on Monday, replied the same day with the info they asked, and received the confirmation email with the details on Thursday.

Scornel: There's a phone number to call a coordinator in the congratulatory email if you need handicapped assistance; while I'm assuming you don't need that, that person may be able to help you with your issue. When I RSVP'd to the email I received, I also included a question regarding the online test for the College Tournament and the same person responded to my question; so that person might be able to help you.
Gotcha, thanks. It's kind of odd, because the e-mail says to RSVP, but doesn't really say how.
ten96lt
Valued Contributor

Post by ten96lt »

TheSpiceWeasel wrote:
ten96lt wrote:That's basically what I did. I received the congratulatory email on Monday, replied the same day with the info they asked, and received the confirmation email with the details on Thursday.

Gotcha, thanks. It's kind of odd, because the e-mail says to RSVP, but doesn't really say how.
Jeopardy Congratulatory Email wrote:You must RSVP within two business days of receipt of this email to secure your place in the audition. When you RSVP via email, please provide the following:
I interpreted the bold part as "Reply to this message to RSVP" but it would be nice if they just said, "Please reply to this email with the following information to RSVP....."
TheSpiceWeasel
Contributor

Post by TheSpiceWeasel »

ten96lt wrote:
Jeopardy Congratulatory Email wrote:You must RSVP within two business days of receipt of this email to secure your place in the audition. When you RSVP via email, please provide the following:
I interpreted the bold part as "Reply to this message to RSVP" but it would be nice if they just said, "Please reply to this email with the following information to RSVP....."
My point exactly.
gsabc
Contributor

Post by gsabc »

Gotta hope they send out invites over a couple of business days. Waiting for Boston, and nothing in the inbox last Friday. They wanted me once ...
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

gsabc wrote:Gotta hope they send out invites over a couple of business days. Waiting for Boston, and nothing in the inbox last Friday. They wanted me once ...
I know the feeling well....
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Ugh. I never thought I would turn down an audition, but I had no choice. Timing and travel schedules just didn't work out for the Cleveland date.

So I guess I'm out of the pool until next year.

Here's hoping next year they book an audition space somewhere a few hours closer to Nashville.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

cinemaniax7 wrote:Ugh. I never thought I would turn down an audition, but I had no choice. Timing and travel schedules just didn't work out for the Cleveland date.

Here's hoping next year they book an audition space somewhere a few hours closer to Nashville.

When I couldn't make my DC tryout a few years, they (a young lady whose name I can't recall at the moment) were kind enough to offer me other dates at other locations. I got to spend a lovely weekend in Savannah, even though nothing came of it. So you might ask them for alternate arrangements.
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

mrparadise wrote:
cinemaniax7 wrote:Ugh. I never thought I would turn down an audition, but I had no choice. Timing and travel schedules just didn't work out for the Cleveland date.

When I couldn't make my DC tryout a few years, they (a young lady whose name I can't recall at the moment) were kind enough to offer me other dates at other locations. I got to spend a lovely weekend in Savannah, even though nothing came of it. So you might ask them for alternate arrangements.
My brother got a DC email this year - he couldn't make it on that date, so he emailed and they let him reschedule. I'd give it a try if I were you!
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I was thrilled to get an email from J! today. Then I realized it was a reminder about the online quiz tonight (for which I'm not eligible because I took the one in January).

Talk about a moment of excitement, instantly punctured!

boo, hiss.....
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

John Boy wrote:I was thrilled to get an email from J! today. Then I realized it was a reminder about the online quiz tonight (for which I'm not eligible because I took the one in January).

boo, hiss.....
don't ignore that email. according to what's been posted in the other thread about this, you should take the test again tonight because your scores may have been lost. quoting:
Magna wrote:Just got this reply:
You did not receive this email in error. Our records do not show that you took the test in January. We trust that you logged in, and we’re uncertain why we did not receive your responses on our end. We apologize for any inconvenience or confusion this causes you.

You are eligible to take tomorrow night’s test. Your previous registration information still applies. We hope that you’ll be able to participate.
So I'll be taking it again!
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

John Boy wrote:I was thrilled to get an email from J! today. Then I realized it was a reminder about the online quiz tonight (for which I'm not eligible because I took the one in January).

boo, hiss.....

If you check out the Email test reminder thread you'll see that the concensus is, I think, that J! somehow screwed up and that those of us who receive the reminder both can and need to take the test tonight even if we took it in January. As I mentioned on that thread, I'm not happy with that since I passed the January test, but I'll be taking it tonight. I've asked J! for guidance but no response yet.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

jpahk wrote:

boo, hiss.....
don't ignore that email. according to what's been posted in the other thread about this, you should take the test again tonight because your scores may have been lost. quoting:
Magna wrote:Just got this reply:
You did not receive this email in error. Our records do not show that you took the test in January. We trust that you logged in, and we’re uncertain why we did not receive your responses on our end. We apologize for any inconvenience or confusion this causes you.

You are eligible to take tomorrow night’s test. Your previous registration information still applies. We hope that you’ll be able to participate.
So I'll be taking it again!
Just to be clear, I sent an email reply (to the "help/questions" address in the email) and got that reply. I can't say for sure that the scores of everyone who got the reminder email were lost - I only know what they told me.
mithokie

Post by mithokie »

I am also one of the (un)lucky ones whose January scores were "lost" and got/had to take the test again on Wednesday. I am pretty sure I got a 35 and I am also pretty sure that I selected Washington as my audition city. Since Washington invites went out last month, does that mean that I have little to no chance of getting an invite this year? Has anyone who took the March test gotten an invite to anywhere so far?
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I got one of those emails last week about the re-test - while I was traveling through Italy. So it sounds like I'll be waiting till next January since staying up until 2am totake a test with an unreliable Internet connection & my tiny iPhone screen was a non-starter. Oh well, I loved Italy...
koam
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by koam »

I took the March test, last week. Scored ~40-41.

What's the normal time between the Adult Online Test and the Audition Emails?
KTBJeopardy
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by KTBJeopardy »

Hi all,

I'm a brand new poster and I'm enjoying all the info here. I finally decided to join because I was curious about the New Orleans auditions. I haven't seen anyone posting anything about them yet, and I'm anxious to hear if I might qualify!
koozbane
Valued Contributor

Post by koozbane »

Welcome KTB! I'm still a newbie myself!

And koam, audition emails usually go out 2-6 weeks before an audition in a particular city. For example, the last audition I was at was in NYC at the end of June. The emails went out some time in May.