LL82: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by StevenH »

Yeah, I give up on defense this season. I just tied for the 5th time this season, 5(4)-5(3). That wouldn't be a surprise if I was in A, but it's crazy given that I am in C and and neither I nor any of my opponents has had a 9 point day in any of my matches this season.

I gave my opponent a 0 yesterday for un-American, stupidly not seeing that they are located in England until after I had already submitted. It turns out that they got it, but that was the only break that I got yesterday.

My opponent had a high food/drink score but yesterday's set struck me as overall easy, so I took a chance and gave them a 3 on bantam. They knew it. That one played tough, but the term at least sounds familiar.

I was really surprised by the low get rate on Romanov and to a lesser extent the low get rates on dinosaur and Pontius Pilate. I thought that the term "dinosaur" was older, but the only other thing that I could think of was amphibian, and the latter just didn't feel right to me. I missed Pilate, but he was under consideration.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

StevenH wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:24 am I was really surprised by the low get rate on Romanov
I thought about this one a long time and I can't say Romanov was something that really crossed my mind. "Rurikids" just doesn't scream Russian to me at all. I ended up putting Pahlavi.

By the way, has anyone else noticed the season projections are now missing from our profile pages?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

That dinosaur clue was way too easy to overthink.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:25 am A Greek-derived compound related to reptiles was so obviously "amphibian" to me that I never had a chance.
Even more related to reptile is the Greek-derived compound word herpetology. I haz a sad.
jjwaymee
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jjwaymee »

I have to constantly remind myself that "puzzler" clues should be overweighted for defense, no matter how quickly I myself solve the "puzzle". My poor defense cost me a tie or possibly a win against BigDaddyMatty yesterday.
Woof

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:15 am
StevenH wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:24 am I was really surprised by the low get rate on Romanov
I thought about this one a long time and I can't say Romanov was something that really crossed my mind. "Rurikids" just doesn't scream Russian to me at all. I ended up putting Pahlavi.
Not a bad guess, Kirk, and one that occurred to me, too. Considering an earlier dynasty in that region was the Seleucid, Rurikid doesn't sound all that different.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:15 am By the way, has anyone else noticed the season projections are now missing from our profile pages?
Yeah, but they're useless, so no loss.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Woof wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:41 am
seaborgium wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:25 am A Greek-derived compound related to reptiles was so obviously "amphibian" to me that I never had a chance.
Even more related to reptile is the Greek-derived compound word herpetology. I haz a sad.
Yeah...herpetology=sounds good. Go with it. Then I failed to RTFQ on the Romanov. Put a country with a long dynasty. I am really underthinking a lot of stuff this season.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:12 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:15 am By the way, has anyone else noticed the season projections are now missing from our profile pages?
I liked the projected TCA, but otherwise full agreement.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:17 am
Yeah, projected TCA was really the only thing I looked at, but still not sure why it would have been removed.
Woof

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:52 am
Volante wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:17 am
Yeah, projected TCA was really the only thing I looked at, but still not sure why it would have been removed.
The only value I found in them were the end of season projected "results" using the two opponents' season projections.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

The one stat missing that I would love to see is a magic number or otherwise named stat showing mathematical possibility/eligibility of relegation/promotion.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:25 am Now I'm up against BlishS in public and RutterB in private. Heaven help me.
I only missed one, and it was both's margin of victory. I didn't think it would be "The Periodic Table," which felt a little clunky to me (and besides, the actual thing has more than 21 elements! Even in 1975!), and I vacillated between "Periodic" and "Periodical" before trying to think of something that sounded a little more literary, and came up with "The Atomic Age." Somehow it softened the blow to avoid close but no cigar (not to mention, now that I know, the MCWA) with "Periodic."
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I thought that I had a good shot at a 6-pack yesterday, but I had a RTFQ moment on the first question. For some reason I thought that the theme was men who walked on the moon, so I spent my time deciding between Selene and Luna. I thought that it was an odd way of asking a mythology question. The mention of Alan Shepard and the Roman pantheon should have been enough to keep me from guessing a moon goddess, though I still can't be sure that I would have gotten it.

I still won 8(5)-3(3), but didn't budge from second to last place in my rundle.

The only WNBA teams that I could think of were the Sparks and the Comets, and I thought that there was a good chance that at least one was defunct. I got lucky and went the right way on that one!
Last edited by StevenH on Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:05 am
seaborgium wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:25 am Now I'm up against BlishS in public and RutterB in private. Heaven help me.
I only missed one, and it was both's margin of victory. I didn't think it would be "The Periodic Table," which felt a little clunky to me (and besides, the actual thing has more than 21 elements! Even in 1975!), and I vacillated between "Periodic" and "Periodical" before trying to think of something that sounded a little more literary, and came up with "The Atomic Age." Somehow it softened the blow to avoid close but no cigar (not to mention, now that I know, the MCWA) with "Periodic."
When I took high school chemistry in the 1960s, I think the highest element on the Periodic Table was number 56. (Just kidding.)
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

StevenH wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:41 am I thought that I had a good shot at a 6-pack yesterday, but I had a RTFQ moment on the first question. For some reason I thought that the theme was men who walked on the moon, so I spent my time deciding between Selene and Luna. I thought that it was an odd way of asking a mythology question. The mention of Alan Shepard and the Roman pantheon should have been enough to keep me from guessing a moon goddess, though I still can't be sure that I would have gotten it.

I still won 8(5)-3(3), but didn't budge from second to last place in my rundle.

The only WNBA teams that I could think of were the Sparks and the Comets, and I thought that there was a good chance that at least one was defunct. I got lucky and went the right way on that one!
I felt rather brilliant for working out astronauts = moon = Diana! and then sooo sooo dumb when I saw the correct answer.
However, the 30 foot advertisement for the Las Vegas Aces that I saw in Las Vegas while at Trivia Nationals was helpful. :-) Still good enough for a win.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:05 am I didn't think it would be "The Periodic Table," which felt a little clunky to me (and besides, the actual thing has more than 21 elements! Even in 1975!), and I vacillated between "Periodic" and "Periodical" before trying to think of something that sounded a little more literary, and came up with "The Atomic Age." Somehow it softened the blow to avoid close but no cigar (not to mention, now that I know, the MCWA) with "Periodic."
Pretty much my thinking, too. I ended up going with the MCWA.

Also, I never knew (OK, fine, never bothered to look up to see) that 'lynx' was a plural.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

That Mercury question was a total word salad that I couldn't make heads or tails of. I find that so often, the questions are so crammed full of gobbledygook that I'm just like "okay, what are you even ASKING?"

Which then causes me to breeze past keywords in an easier question: "Blah blah blah South America blah blah FALLS" should've been a slam dunk, but even reading it five times I failed to pick up on the blatantly obvious clues.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

Well, had my first loss of the season due to my defense being as bad as it could possibly be. 7(5)-8(4).

If only my head hadn't specifically gone toward transition metals for that book. How my opponent got it, I'm not really sure.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Only 35% recognize the Mercury Seven? I'm flabbergasted.