LL82: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by seaborgium »

Volante wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:45 am I, like 13% of the rest of the field, was on the right track with 'line judge'.... Luckily defense won the day for me(?!)
I said "judges (line judges if more specific is needed)" and it wasn't counted in the MCWA total.
classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by classicroadster »

My Koin is working overtime this season. Just yesterday I had Washington/Carver and WJRL/WLRJ. I knew Washington was first and Roosevelt third but wasn't sure about the other 2. If I got both, I win. Mt Rushmore only, I tie. Missed both and lost. I wonder if I had answered Washington Carver if it would've been marked correct? Probably not....
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

My opponent gave me 3 for Jonny Quest. :lol: Did not matter since I had five right anyway to her three right. Still...
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

The Jonny Quest theme song is one of my favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIhEpjnaNlo

Lord, that brass.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:15 am My opponent gave me 3 for Jonny Quest. :lol: Did not matter since I had five right anyway to her three right. Still...
I got 2 for Mount Rushmore, which I see represented approximately a zillion times a day. Shamefully, I still had to puzzle it out, using logic almost identical to classicroadster's above. I had a memory of this question from a few years back, (which I also had to guess, at the time), which helped. I enjoyed the framing of the question too, which I assume was chosen just to make the grading easier for the Commish. I wonder if anyone got it solely from knowing the radio station?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:57 am I wonder if anyone got it solely from knowing the radio station?
If it was a television station in Dothan, I probably would have gotten it. Radio station calls I don't know as well.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

alietr wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:46 amAnd I somehow confused Jonny Quest and Speed Racer.
Same. I think I was primed by "Race" in the first name
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Jonny Quest rang a faint bell but too faint for me to hear.

I have a feeling I will never get close to a 6/6.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I was 95% sure that Washington and Lincoln were the bookends, and since Jefferson is basically Washington with red hair, I figured that separating those two was the æsthetically obvious choice. I was torn because JRL seems more suggestive of a town name ('JoRaLemon', say), but fortunately, I guess, that seems to have had nothing to do with it.
I'm smart and I want respect.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Lefty wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:19 pm I was 95% sure that Washington and Lincoln were the bookends, and since Jefferson is basically Washington with red hair, I figured that separating those two was the æsthetically obvious choice. I was torn because JRL seems more suggestive of a town name ('JoRaLemon', say), but fortunately, I guess, that seems to have had nothing to do with it.
I was 100% about the order thanks to this movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8tEZREeF1g
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Given the number of times I've watched North by Northwest, I was trying to picture that masterful final chase scene in my head, but wasn't able to do so.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Why is it the only time I blank on the presidents on Mount Rushmore is when it's a trivia question?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Two Alabama related questions in one day. Cool.

I got Rushmore right, thanks in part to the old commercial where Teddy’s head falls off and lands on a car. I don’t live anywhere near Dothan and never heard of the station.

I lost the coin flip on Washington and Carver. My opponent gave me three points for that so the wrong choice cost me a Dolly day as I missed my zero point Quest question. Still won the day, however.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

alietr wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:09 pm If it was a television station in Dothan, I probably would have gotten it.
Washington, Taft, Van Buren, Yang.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MCWA for Cathy was Dilbert? Good old Dilbert Guisewite? OK ...
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

econgator wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:33 am MCWA for Cathy was Dilbert? Good old Dilbert Guisewite? OK ...
That's the "putting something is better than nothing" philosophy, and of course, so many people take their rules to an extreme. Probably the only other strip they could think of simply named after a character's first name, and ignoring how wrong it is that it didn't end in 2010, and isn't named after the creator.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I got a much needed 4(4)-1(1) win yesterday. I was so happy that I pulled Gerwig. My first thoughts were Ephron and Diablo Cody, then I thought of Ladybird (which I've seen), then I pulled Gerwig's name after a few seconds. My only hesitation was that I thought that the common link was female directors who actually won either the directing Oscar or Best Picture, not just been nominated. I knew Ladybird did not win Best Picture, and it struck me as the type of film that is more likely to win for writing or possibly acting than for directing, but I stuck with Gerwig since I could actually name a film by her that the question likely referred to.

And I guessed Dilbert for lack of anything better. My other miss was cave; I had no idea on either of those.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I wonder what variations were accepted for 'cave.' My "study of caves" was accepted. The LL forum leads me to believe 'spelunking' was accepted. I think we found the clunker clue of the season.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:03 am I wonder what variations were accepted for 'cave.' My "study of caves" was accepted. The LL forum leads me to believe 'spelunking' was accepted. I think we found the clunker clue of the season.
I know I wavered between 'cave', 'caves', 'caving', and some form of study of caves and was relieved I went the right way. I certainly don't blame him for being lenient on that one. It wasn't pinned all that well.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

StevenH wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:52 am I got a much needed 4(4)-1(1) win yesterday. I was so happy that I pulled Gerwig. My first thoughts were Ephron and Diablo Cody, then I thought of Ladybird (which I've seen), then I pulled Gerwig's name after a few seconds. My only hesitation was that I thought that the common link was female directors who actually won either the directing Oscar or Best Picture, not just been nominated. I knew Ladybird did not win Best Picture, and it struck me as the type of film that is more likely to win for writing or possibly acting than for directing, but I stuck with Gerwig since I could actually name a film by her that the question likely referred to.

And I guessed Dilbert for lack of anything better. My other miss was cave; I had no idea on either of those.
It was just the women directors who had been nominated:
* Wertmuller for Seven Beauties in 1977
* Campion for The Piano in 1993
* Coppola for Lost in Translation in 2003
* Bigelow for The Hurt Locker in 2009 (the only one to have actually won)
* Gerwig for Lady Bird in 2017

However, I completely blanked on Gerwig and said Ava Duvernay, who probably should have been nominated for Selma and I was pretty sure was wrong. I won the defensive showcase though, 9(5)-8(5).
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.