LL82: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by Bamaman »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:22 pm
alietr wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:19 pm How could the Merrimack question have been the hardest? What did people answer for that, since Merrimack was already in the clue?
I knew this one cold and moneyed it. Unfortunately I put down Alabama. Not sure why I was thinking of Alabama instead of Virginia, but I did.

"The Who Sell Out" was definitely my entry point to the Heinz Baked Beans question.
There was a rather fierce Civil War ship called the CSS Alabama, but it wasn’t ironclad.

I got nine right, so of course I moneyed two of the three I missed. I had no idea on the painting. The ones I moneyed were Shazam instead of Kazam and I took a chance by saying always on the girl question. Never heard of the book but thought it was worth a shot.
jjwaymee
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jjwaymee »

Always happy when I am one of the five that posts a score for my particular Rundle. Even more impressive for me personally was that my score was used in an A Rundle for the first time ever. Of course, Horizon had experienced quite the exodus of it's former elite players. I think we were a top 5 league for the very first MSC all the way back in LL66. This time...61st place. :shock:

Sorry to my fellow Horizon competitors for mistakenly putting down Shazaam instead of Kaazam. That extra 15 points could have made us -- *checks standings* -- still 61st. :D
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:35 pm What were the Heinz and Merrimack questions from? I don't remember playing those.
Midseason Classic: https://learnedleague.com/oneday.php?classic_82 It's optional, so don't stress about missing it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:14 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:22 pm
alietr wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:19 pm How could the Merrimack question have been the hardest? What did people answer for that, since Merrimack was already in the clue?
I knew this one cold and moneyed it. Unfortunately I put down Alabama. Not sure why I was thinking of Alabama instead of Virginia, but I did.
There was a rather fierce Civil War ship called the CSS Alabama, but it wasn’t ironclad.

Yeah, merchant raider that fought a famous battle with the USS Kearsarge off the coast of Cherbourg. Painted by Manet (the battle, that is). After the war the British were assessed and paid a fine of 15.5 million dollars for violating neutrality, as the ship was built in Liverpool.

I missed Heinz, Girl and Kazaam. Still finished in the 95th percentile, which is probably the best I've managed in a midseason classic. I usually play safe with my moneys, unless I think I'm competing to win (very seldom).
I'm smart and I want respect.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Lefty wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:13 am Still finished in the 95th percentile, which is probably the best I've managed in a midseason classic. I usually play safe with my moneys, unless I think I'm competing to win (very seldom).
I was 89th %ile, which is my best I think. Was good enough for second in B Taiga.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I couldn't think of a single sport that had 3 words in its name. My dad used to watch Northern Exposure, but I couldn't have named a character other than Maurice Minnifield. I got the rest though and won my match, and got lucky with a 3 for funkadelic, which to me was an easy 0 to give my opponent.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

My apologies to David for hitting an amazing three guesses on Australia Rules Football, isomers and Northern Exposure. Sure, it occasionally happens that a stab in the dark hits the mark when playing LL questions. For me to hit three was unprecedented. A video of my stunned face at seeing the correct answers after I submitted would have been funny.

As J! fans we did each correctly zero each other on Vienna.

In previous posts I have shared how quickly I usually play the set as I generally don't care enough to spend much time on the exercise. Of course it's a bad habit that can cost me points. I had Ansel Adams for Salvador Dali as I processed "Catalonia" as "California." :oops:
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I actually saw a Carlton game when I was in Melbourne. I sat next to 2 old guys who very nicely explained everything to me. I enjoyed the game as much as any nfl game I’ve been to. I did mention on a later flight up to Cairns that I’d gone to that game & my seatmate disparaged that sport. She preferred rugby.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

I've answered 1 or 2 questions correct on 6 different match days now and somehow am 4-2 in those days. Yesterday, it was due to a forfeit. If I get promoted (sitting in 3rd in D rundle right now), it's because of that.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Johnblue wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:34 am I actually saw a Carlton game when I was in Melbourne. I sat next to 2 old guys who very nicely explained everything to me. I enjoyed the game as much as any nfl game I’ve been to. I did mention on a later flight up to Cairns that I’d gone to that game & my seatmate disparaged that sport. She preferred rugby.
I watched Australian Rules Football about 30 years ago, when ESPN carried it live on Friday nights. The league was called the "Victoria Football League" back then. The championship game, called the Grand Final (I wish we imported that term to America), was played in late September.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

LL83 rundle name poll came out and it's ranked choice voting!

There are a LOT of Qu... options
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

If I had had time to think, I MAY have gotten Australian Rules Football and Salvador Dali, but most likely not Vienna and definitely not Northern Exposure. I had forgotten to submit until well past the time limit and was just concerned about getting something, anything into the blanks and hope I didn't forfeit. Luckily my answers were accepted, and my opponent had a beer, so it was no harm no foul as regards W/L record.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Okay, I'm having a derp moment. How do I check my own score? Or wager against someone else?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:14 pm Okay, I'm having a derp moment. How do I check my own score? Or wager against someone else?
Depends if you mean for today's match, already submitted, or do you mean past matches this season? Simply going to your profile by clicking on your flag, anywhere on the site, and clicking the far left tab, which says "profile", you'll see a list of your results this season and can click each match score to see the breakdown. For today's match just click on, for example (MD19) on the LL home page and you'll see your submission if you've already played. But you should also sign up for email submission receipts (https://learnedleague.com/thorsten/notifications.php) so that you can see what you submitted on previous days, in case you forget exactly what you typed and want to look back to verify.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

econgator wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:33 am MCWA for Cathy was Dilbert? Good old Dilbert Guisewite? OK ...
Coulda been worse - coulda been Nancy.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I thought yesterday's set (MD 19) was brutal. I only got two right (Stallone/Rocky and Singapore). I've heard of the Bechdel test, but couldn't come up with the name.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:00 am I thought yesterday's set (MD 19) was brutal. I only got two right (Stallone/Rocky and Singapore). I've heard of the Bechdel test, but couldn't come up with the name.
Brutal indeed and no argument from me or my opponent as we tied 0(1)-0(1). I of course only got Rocky and she only got Singapore.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:00 am I thought yesterday's set (MD 19) was brutal. I only got two right (Stallone/Rocky and Singapore). I've heard of the Bechdel test, but couldn't come up with the name.
Agreed. I felt bad about getting only 3 right (narrowly missed the Taco Bell one) but then saw that Reddpen, my opponent for the day, had an even tougher time.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Woof wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:50 am
Agreed. I felt bad about getting only 3 right (narrowly missed the Taco Bell one) but then saw that Reddpen, my opponent for the day, had an even tougher time.
Yes. Only Singapore here.

OK, somebody please explain to me what I'm missing. I've heard of Alison Bechdel and have seen her comics here and there over the years in alternative weeklies. But this test is apparently a well-known concept? The easiest question of the day? 66% of the whole league, 86% of my rundle, both way above average?
shambolic

Post by shambolic »

RandyG wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:07 am
Woof wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:50 am
Yes. Only Singapore here.

OK, somebody please explain to me what I'm missing. I've heard of Alison Bechdel and have seen her comics here and there over the years in alternative weeklies. But this test is apparently a well-known concept? The easiest question of the day? 66% of the whole league, 86% of my rundle, both way above average?
I'd say the Bechdel test is pretty well known, especially in discussions of feminism in film that happen online. FWIW, Bechdel's memoirs were also adapted into a musical called Fun Home that won Best Musical at the Tonys a few years ago, so she's probably worth knowing for that as well.