LL82: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by cmp146 »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:36 pm Answering "Tuesday Next" instead of "Thursday Next" when spotted a date this week is super-fail. Also, my memory of my time at Barnes and Noble continues to slip away. I do still remember there's 2 F's in Jasper FForde, though.
I got that one cold- I read the whole series, and then remembered that Fforde never got around to a sequel for "Shades of Grey" which still annoys me to this day. GrossB's quiz was quite fun and well done. I still love my abridged copy of "The Princess Bride" which is on my bookshelf.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

There's nothing like a one-day special or minileague in learned league from outside your areas of expertise to make you feel dumb. It is about this far into the off season that I always start to doubt that I know anything.

Just voicing my insecurities so that others can make fun of me or not feel alone in the feeling of ignorance.
RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by RJRouge »

boson wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:00 pm There's nothing like a one-day special or minileague in learned league from outside your areas of expertise to make you feel dumb. It is about this far into the off season that I always start to doubt that I know anything.

Just voicing my insecurities so that others can make fun of me or not feel alone in the feeling of ignorance.
Yeah, I didn't bother with the 1Ds on Monday or Tuesday.
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

boson wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:00 pm There's nothing like a one-day special or minileague in learned league from outside your areas of expertise to make you feel dumb. It is about this far into the off season that I always start to doubt that I know anything.

The HBCUs 1DS earlier this offseason was like that for me. Went in to it hoping to do decently and learn something. I knew like one of the first 7-8 and tapped out. It’s also bad when the day’s set is on music I’m pretty meh on or a TV show I’ve never seen.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Since we are talking about self flagellation, I have learned not to sign up for the idea of enrichment. I've got 9 TCA after day 10 of the Foreign Policy in Pop Culture ML, half of the next worst player. I apologize to those for whom the match play is important.

I apparently signed up for 21st century movies and Board Games as well, so as I used to tell our employees and staff, the beatings will continue until morale improves.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Congrats to sherder on winning the 1DS on cannibalism. I'm eating my heart out.
I'm smart and I want respect.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I haven't been participating in many of the off-season events lately, but couldn't resist the New Wave one day. I got all 12 right, but still only managed 52nd place! I don't even think my moneying was particularly bad. There were just a lot of people that get 'em all right.
sherder
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sherder »

Lefty wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:07 pm Congrats to sherder on winning the 1DS on cannibalism. I'm eating my heart out.
Thanks! One of my friends said she wasn't sure if she should be impressed or disturbed. I replied that I didn't think they were mutually exclusive.
shambolic

Post by shambolic »

Has anyone here had to settle a scoring dispute with Thorsten? If so, how long did it take? I was marked incorrect for an answer that (I think) clearly meets the "sounds like" criterion yesterday, and was hoping to get it resolved ASAP, as this match outcome could very well determine whether I make the finals in this ML.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

shambolic wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:09 am Has anyone here had to settle a scoring dispute with Thorsten? If so, how long did it take? I was marked incorrect for an answer that (I think) clearly meets the "sounds like" criterion yesterday, and was hoping to get it resolved ASAP, as this match outcome could very well determine whether I make the finals in this ML.
Send it via the contact form at the bottom of the page, and he should get to it pretty quickly.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Rats! Now I have to write 12 more questions.

2020 One-Day Proposal Accepted: Doomed Expeditions
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

shambolic wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:09 am Has anyone here had to settle a scoring dispute with Thorsten? If so, how long did it take? I was marked incorrect for an answer that (I think) clearly meets the "sounds like" criterion yesterday, and was hoping to get it resolved ASAP, as this match outcome could very well determine whether I make the finals in this ML.
What was your answer?
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

My 1DS proposal on The Wonder Years was accepted and will be run on April 9! It's hard to believe that all three of the 1DS that I have done have been pop culture themed.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Big week for me. I got the email inviting me to a J! audition next month, and now I'm tasked with writing a LL One-Day for January.

The topic: Lucky Johnsons
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I have found that he responds much more quickly if you send an email to thorsten@learnedleague.com than if you use the contact form on the site.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:08 pm
I have found that he responds much more quickly if you send an email to thorsten@learnedleague.com than if you use the contact form on the site.
Huh. Different strokes, etc.

I too am wondering how your dispute was resolved. Was it the Kevin "Fiege" question? He rescored a bunch of those, I think.
shambolic

Post by shambolic »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:27 pm
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:08 pm
Huh. Different strokes, etc.

I too am wondering how your dispute was resolved. Was it the Kevin "Fiege" question? He rescored a bunch of those, I think.
Yep, it was Fiege question. It was rescored early yesterday afternoon (I think), so quite a quick turnaround. I sort of wonder how this was missed in the initial grading, because if the LL forums are any indication, I'm far from the only person to misspell it. In any case, I'm glad it got updated, and will probably put more effort into exact spelling in the future to avoid any similar fiascos down the road.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Are mini-leagues scored by Thorsten, or by the smith(s)?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

alietr wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:04 am Are mini-leagues scored by Thorsten, or by the smith(s)?
I thought Thorsten did all the scoring
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:56 am
alietr wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:04 am Are mini-leagues scored by Thorsten, or by the smith(s)?
I thought Thorsten did all the scoring
I think he does too, but it's based solely on rules provided by the smiths so it's not always as forgiving/generous as an LL match.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)