LL82: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by bomtr »

Guess it's hard to make Hamlet G-rated. My first MCWA of the season. Hate it when that happens.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I honestly had no idea that TS4 even came out.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:38 pm I honestly had no idea that TS4 even came out.
Are you saying that the mods on JBoard do not read, study and remember every post? :D viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5002&p=314317#p314169
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

I was lucky enough to forget that the Lion King remake happened and/or never considered it to fit the criteria. Didn't think Toy Story 4 had done THAT well, but it was the only big animated film I could think of that would have still been playing.

I've been playing way above my pay grade so far this season.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:38 pm I honestly had no idea that TS4 even came out.
I should probably get around to watching at least one Toy Story movie one of these days. Could come in handy for trivia purposes if nothing else.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:27 am Got quilt on a WECIB but I thought he was looking for 2 different words until I reread the question for the 5th time.

Surprised at the low get for Card Sharks, given this summer’s reboot with Joel McHale
I don't think I had heard of the games mentioned in the question. Card Sharks sort of floated through my mind, but I think I watched maybe part of one episode. Soooo I left it blank and lost my private rundle match 6(5)-9(5). I know, I know, don't leave a blank space...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"Card Sharks" was easy.

I clammed on "Toy Story 4" because I thought it was released earlier in the year and didn't think it was rated G. I still haven't seen even the second one yet because I have zero interest in Pixar's schmaltz.

"Roc-a-Fella" rang a bell but I couldn't dig deep enough to uncover the artist's name.

Overthought "homogenization" and put "separation" instead.

"Spark" had me thinking too technologically and wondering if maybe some robot-based work had come out 200 years ago.

No guess on Quilt. The clue was just turning into a total word salad for me and I couldn't make heads or tails of it.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

For UBI, I guessed "universal brotherhood initiative". What we need right now. Who's with me?

For the game show I guessed Price is Right, because I remember you try to guess closer to the right price than your opponent without going over, so you want to be "between" his guess and the actual price. On the other hand, Acey Deucey is a card game.

Then I guessed Frozen II which appears not to be out yet. Still, with advance sales and all.
I'm smart and I want respect.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Way down here in Taiga D, the twelvefootboy L7 streak has ended. :!: I may do better than the Miami Dolphins this year. Of all things, it was a quilting question that ended my O-fer. I expect to remain in the lavender zone, but who knows. I did play 5 of the top 8 players already and the categories seem to be pivoting my direction a little bit.

While I don't care a lot about the faux competition aspect in my first LL season, I do enjoy the various mini-narratives that come up from this game format. For this case, I can imagine both me and my opponent laid the quilt questions as 3's (which we did), and we both did a dope slap on the reveal of how easy it was to guess. Luckily, I went with the only cromulent guess I could get.

I took the gaspipe on UBI, couldn't get past "United" something something.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

jev15 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:11 pm I was one of the 36% who confidently answered The Lion King for highest-grossing G-rated movie. Now I really want to know what that movie did to earn a PG.
According to imdb.com, The Lion King was "Rated PG for sequences of violence and peril, and some thematic elements".

I also answered The Lion King. It totally slipped my mind that Toy Story 4 had been released in June.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:05 pm
I should probably get around to watching at least one Toy Story movie one of these days. Could come in handy for trivia purposes if nothing else.
I've seen the first one.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Went the wrong way between Denmark and Indonesia and Texas Instruments and Shockley (I thought the scientist had a company named for him). Getting either one would have meant a win instead of a loss :roll:

But at least the Commish seems to be gifting me '90s pop culture questions this season with Good Burger and now Sister, Sister.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I waffled between TI and Motorola (which I had mistakenly thought was also a Texas company; they were actually founded in Illinois).

Not that it would have mattered - I would have lost on defense, as has been the case quite often this season. Two seasons ago I had 11 UfPA the whole season and this year I'm already at 16. I've never had defense this bad.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

I should've had Foley, just couldn't think of it at all.

Annoyed with myself over Greenland vs. Denmark, went Greenland, but at least it didn't cost me the match, I'd have lost anyway.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I waffled between Denmark, Indonesia, Canada, and the Philippines. Only Denmark made sense given the wording. But Australia was MCWA?

I'm curious about people who got Fill or Kill. Did you just guess? Did you know it? I consider myself very well versed in finance and I don't think I have ever heard that phrase before (but I don't deal with trading admittedly).
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

alietr wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:00 am I'm curious about people who got Fill or Kill. Did you just guess? Did you know it? I consider myself very well versed in finance and I don't think I have ever heard that phrase before (but I don't deal with trading admittedly).
Back when I was much more actively trading stocks in my Roth IRA, I remember that there was always a "Fill or Kill" option on the trading platform.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

My guess was "ton or none" based on the "large amount" hint in the question.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

alietr wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:00 am I waffled between Denmark, Indonesia, Canada, and the Philippines. Only Denmark made sense given the wording. But Australia was MCWA?

I'm curious about people who got Fill or Kill. Did you just guess? Did you know it? I consider myself very well versed in finance and I don't think I have ever heard that phrase before (but I don't deal with trading admittedly).
I trade stocks and options fairly regularly, though not at the volumes that require a fill or kill order. It annoyed me to no end that I couldn't figure it out initially. I had "all or none" which doesn't rhyme, then "one or none" which doesn't match what is actually happening. It was only when I started to throw out words for making a transaction, ("order", "ticket", etc.) that I got to "fill" and figured it out from there.

I was pretty sure the national park referred to Greenland, and I had previously thought Greenland was not its own country, but rather part of Denmark. However, with talks about our American President wanting to buy Greenland, I found out it's actually a semi-autonomous country, so I thought it might be a trick and went that way instead.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I was in Greenland in July & they’re very proud of that park. I own the Folsom prison CD. I could only think of Texas Instruments because of the Dallas TOM. Foley was my best get which gave me my only perfect day so far!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

My opponent & I appropriately zeroed each other on Sister, Sister. Where I won the match was getting Foley for 3 points. My vague recollection is learning the name from the Lisa Whelchel era of The New Mickey Mouse Club visiting the Disney guy and seeing stuff such as coconuts for horse trots.