LL82: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:31 pm

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by cmp146 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:08 pm

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:36 pm
Answering "Tuesday Next" instead of "Thursday Next" when spotted a date this week is super-fail. Also, my memory of my time at Barnes and Noble continues to slip away. I do still remember there's 2 F's in Jasper FForde, though.
I got that one cold- I read the whole series, and then remembered that Fforde never got around to a sequel for "Shades of Grey" which still annoys me to this day. GrossB's quiz was quite fun and well done. I still love my abridged copy of "The Princess Bride" which is on my bookshelf.

User avatar
boson
Trivial
Posts: 1605
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by boson » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:00 pm

There's nothing like a one-day special or minileague in learned league from outside your areas of expertise to make you feel dumb. It is about this far into the off season that I always start to doubt that I know anything.

Just voicing my insecurities so that others can make fun of me or not feel alone in the feeling of ignorance.

User avatar
RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 283
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:39 pm

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by RJRouge » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:53 pm

boson wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:00 pm
There's nothing like a one-day special or minileague in learned league from outside your areas of expertise to make you feel dumb. It is about this far into the off season that I always start to doubt that I know anything.

Just voicing my insecurities so that others can make fun of me or not feel alone in the feeling of ignorance.
Yeah, I didn't bother with the 1Ds on Monday or Tuesday.

Bigdogstalfos
Valued Contributor
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:36 pm

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by Bigdogstalfos » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:30 pm

boson wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:00 pm
There's nothing like a one-day special or minileague in learned league from outside your areas of expertise to make you feel dumb. It is about this far into the off season that I always start to doubt that I know anything.

Just voicing my insecurities so that others can make fun of me or not feel alone in the feeling of ignorance.
The HBCUs 1DS earlier this offseason was like that for me. Went in to it hoping to do decently and learn something. I knew like one of the first 7-8 and tapped out. It’s also bad when the day’s set is on music I’m pretty meh on or a TV show I’ve never seen.

User avatar
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1426
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by twelvefootboy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:46 pm

boson wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:00 pm
There's nothing like a one-day special or minileague in learned league from outside your areas of expertise to make you feel dumb. It is about this far into the off season that I always start to doubt that I know anything.

Just voicing my insecurities so that others can make fun of me or not feel alone in the feeling of ignorance.
Since we are talking about self flagellation, I have learned not to sign up for the idea of enrichment. I've got 9 TCA after day 10 of the Foreign Policy in Pop Culture ML, half of the next worst player. I apologize to those for whom the match play is important.

I apparently signed up for 21st century movies and Board Games as well, so as I used to tell our employees and staff, the beatings will continue until morale improves.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

User avatar
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 840
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by Lefty » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:07 pm

Congrats to sherder on winning the 1DS on cannibalism. I'm eating my heart out.
I'm smart and I want respect.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4645
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by This Is Kirk! » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:16 pm

I haven't been participating in many of the off-season events lately, but couldn't resist the New Wave one day. I got all 12 right, but still only managed 52nd place! I don't even think my moneying was particularly bad. There were just a lot of people that get 'em all right.

sherder
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 439
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:30 am

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by sherder » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:16 pm

Lefty wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:07 pm
Congrats to sherder on winning the 1DS on cannibalism. I'm eating my heart out.
Thanks! One of my friends said she wasn't sure if she should be impressed or disturbed. I replied that I didn't think they were mutually exclusive.

shambolic
Contributor
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu May 09, 2019 6:07 pm

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by shambolic » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:09 am

Has anyone here had to settle a scoring dispute with Thorsten? If so, how long did it take? I was marked incorrect for an answer that (I think) clearly meets the "sounds like" criterion yesterday, and was hoping to get it resolved ASAP, as this match outcome could very well determine whether I make the finals in this ML.

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1780
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:12 pm

shambolic wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:09 am
Has anyone here had to settle a scoring dispute with Thorsten? If so, how long did it take? I was marked incorrect for an answer that (I think) clearly meets the "sounds like" criterion yesterday, and was hoping to get it resolved ASAP, as this match outcome could very well determine whether I make the finals in this ML.
Send it via the contact form at the bottom of the page, and he should get to it pretty quickly.

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by morbeedo » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:18 pm

Rats! Now I have to write 12 more questions.

2020 One-Day Proposal Accepted: Doomed Expeditions

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4533
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by jeff6286 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:32 pm

shambolic wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:09 am
Has anyone here had to settle a scoring dispute with Thorsten? If so, how long did it take? I was marked incorrect for an answer that (I think) clearly meets the "sounds like" criterion yesterday, and was hoping to get it resolved ASAP, as this match outcome could very well determine whether I make the finals in this ML.
What was your answer?

User avatar
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material
Posts: 2266
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:24 pm
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by StevenH » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:44 pm

My 1DS proposal on The Wonder Years was accepted and will be run on April 9! It's hard to believe that all three of the 1DS that I have done have been pop culture themed.

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 424
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:01 am

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by 1stlvlthinker » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:45 am

Big week for me. I got the email inviting me to a J! audition next month, and now I'm tasked with writing a LL One-Day for January.

The topic: Lucky Johnsons
Won some of Ben Stein's money, some of Roger Lodge's, some of Chris Harrison's. None of Alex Trebek's.

User avatar
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General
Posts: 922
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:35 am

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by Cat Hammarskjold » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:08 pm

shambolic wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:09 am
Has anyone here had to settle a scoring dispute with Thorsten? If so, how long did it take? I was marked incorrect for an answer that (I think) clearly meets the "sounds like" criterion yesterday, and was hoping to get it resolved ASAP, as this match outcome could very well determine whether I make the finals in this ML.
I have found that he responds much more quickly if you send an email to thorsten@learnedleague.com than if you use the contact form on the site.

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1780
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:27 pm

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:08 pm
shambolic wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:09 am
Has anyone here had to settle a scoring dispute with Thorsten? If so, how long did it take? I was marked incorrect for an answer that (I think) clearly meets the "sounds like" criterion yesterday, and was hoping to get it resolved ASAP, as this match outcome could very well determine whether I make the finals in this ML.
I have found that he responds much more quickly if you send an email to thorsten@learnedleague.com than if you use the contact form on the site.
Huh. Different strokes, etc.

I too am wondering how your dispute was resolved. Was it the Kevin "Fiege" question? He rescored a bunch of those, I think.

shambolic
Contributor
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu May 09, 2019 6:07 pm

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by shambolic » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:00 am

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:27 pm
Cat Hammarskjold wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:08 pm
shambolic wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:09 am
Has anyone here had to settle a scoring dispute with Thorsten? If so, how long did it take? I was marked incorrect for an answer that (I think) clearly meets the "sounds like" criterion yesterday, and was hoping to get it resolved ASAP, as this match outcome could very well determine whether I make the finals in this ML.
I have found that he responds much more quickly if you send an email to thorsten@learnedleague.com than if you use the contact form on the site.
Huh. Different strokes, etc.

I too am wondering how your dispute was resolved. Was it the Kevin "Fiege" question? He rescored a bunch of those, I think.
Yep, it was Fiege question. It was rescored early yesterday afternoon (I think), so quite a quick turnaround. I sort of wonder how this was missed in the initial grading, because if the LL forums are any indication, I'm far from the only person to misspell it. In any case, I'm glad it got updated, and will probably put more effort into exact spelling in the future to avoid any similar fiascos down the road.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6653
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by alietr » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:04 am

Are mini-leagues scored by Thorsten, or by the smith(s)?

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by morbeedo » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:56 am

alietr wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:04 am
Are mini-leagues scored by Thorsten, or by the smith(s)?
I thought Thorsten did all the scoring

User avatar
Volante
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 6603
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: LL82: LearnedLeague

Post by Volante » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:49 am

morbeedo wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:56 am
alietr wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:04 am
Are mini-leagues scored by Thorsten, or by the smith(s)?
I thought Thorsten did all the scoring
I think he does too, but it's based solely on rules provided by the smiths so it's not always as forgiving/generous as an LL match.

Post Reply