Monday, September 9, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Re: Monday, September 9, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DavidRosen »

It was surprising to see the return of "athlete's foot" as a response to "tinea pedis." This was pretty much the same clue that Gilbert Collins had when going for his 5th win, as a Daily Double with a $2,000 bet. He got negged when he answered "ringworm." I was one of the opponents, and when we broke for FJ I was ahead, with the game on my racket. During the break his answer was ruled correct (it was) and he was credited with $4,000, leaving him ahead and the game on his racket. Of course, FJ was easy, we both got it right and he won. Arga-Warga!
Why bring this back so soon? Were they hoping for the same answer so they could show they had done their homework this time?
Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Woppy T »

I thought the 2 name category in DJ was poorly done. Alex, in his instructions and in providing the correct responses, gave two names, but the contestants kept doing portmanteaus. Obviously they would have accepted either, but this could have been explained better.

Loved the Goliathtown response.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

DavidRosen wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:16 am It was surprising to see the return of "athlete's foot" as a response to "tinea pedis."
This was pretty much the same clue that Gilbert Collins had when going for his 5th win, as a Daily Double with a $2,000 bet. He got negged when he answered "ringworm." I was one of the opponents, and when we broke for FJ I was ahead, with the game on my racket. During the break his answer was ruled correct (it was) and he was credited with $4,000, leaving him ahead and the game on his racket. Of course, FJ was easy, we both got it right and he won. Arga-Warga!
Why bring this back so soon? Were they hoping for the same answer so they could show they had done their homework this time?
oof I had forgotten about that tough break for you, David. :cry:

I am not typically one of those who clamors for a "special tournament for people who lost but ________"
But for "people who thought they had the game won, but then a perfectly fair correction snatched away the victory" I would say ok.

As for the athlete's foot question, I think 20 months is not so unusual for repeating a fact. (but not the exact question...)

(Jan 16th, 2018 - DOC TALK - "I've got tinea pedis, this condition, so stop calling me a couch potato")
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

DavidRosen wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:16 am It was surprising to see the return of "athlete's foot" as a response to "tinea pedis." This was pretty much the same clue that Gilbert Collins had when going for his 5th win, as a Daily Double with a $2,000 bet. He got negged when he answered "ringworm." I was one of the opponents, and when we broke for FJ I was ahead, with the game on my racket. During the break his answer was ruled correct (it was) and he was credited with $4,000, leaving him ahead and the game on his racket. Of course, FJ was easy, we both got it right and he won. Arga-Warga!
They just wanted to rub your nose in it, pick at the scab a little. :D
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

I think my results in FJ were on the bubble. With the clue, an improbable-sounding word popped into my head and I immediately thought "I'm sure that's not right, but it's *something* like that". And in fact it was something *exactly* like that.

(Fun fact: in one episode of the Monty Python TV show, a parody of a 1940s pirate film has a list of credits including "First Wench - Tinea Pedis".
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

I got the FJ, but only because sometime in the last few days, I saw a reference to this very subject, either on the internet or tv. All I can recall is that it was accompanied by a drawing or painting of David about to topple Goliath. Might've been the wikipedia homepage, but I'm not sure. Anybody else see this?
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

As soon as I submitted the last post, it came to me...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... laims.html
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

reddpen wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:01 am For FJ I knew it was a single syllable city and was pretty sure it started with G and ended in "th", but the closest I could get was Goth. Kinda doubt the judges would have given me that. Now if Goth had been correct and I'd written Gath...
I'd say that's an edge case. I'm pretty much positive that if this had been a non-FJ clue, your response of "What is Goth?" would have been accepted. Especially if you said it with an English accent. Goth, pronounced in the usual way, is probably closer to the sound of the Hebrew word. Gath, with the a pronounced like the a in gas, is an Americanized pronunciation. I think the English would pronounce the a more like ah, but I'm not sure. But that would be a further argument that spelling it Goth doesn't really change the pronunciation. Add to that the fact that the original written Hebrew had no markings for vowels. You had to recognize the word from the consonants alone, supplying the vowels sounds that you knew the word to have. I suspect there's no way to be certain of the vowel on an uncommon word like Gath, though perhaps cognate words in other ancient near east tongues can help. But we probably can't rule out pronunciations like Get(h), Goot(h), Git(h), and Geet(h). Given that, it might be wise to rule that Goth is close enough. I don't know if the judges or someone with more knowledge of the subject would see it my way, though.
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

I don't know where my brain was vacationing during Final Jeopardy!, but my response was "Goth." If I'd been a contestant, maybe my sloppy handwriting could've made it look enough like "Gath" to get me the win, but I doubt it. Now I am imagining Goliath with his hair dyed black, wearing eyeliner and black lipstick and listening to Bauhaus.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

54 R (Missed Melissa McCarthy(Unfamiliar film title.), Fade Away, and $800 and $2000 in Last Names(Knew one but not the other for both.).)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Prevail, Coffee Pot, (The Help), Thunderbird, Corvette, Prius, Boxing, Schlossberg & Bergman, Beanie, Beethoven's Ninth, Soy Bean

Knew Noah Webster just from the picture. :ugeek:
Douglas Squasoni
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:56 pm I think the consensus seems to be this was not one of the better FJ clues we've seen. The whole Goliath thing hardly even qualifies as a TOM because it's so obvious. This one was more arcane fact recall.
You're probably right, along with those predicting a very low get rate for this clue on the weekly poll. HOWEVER it was a bit of arcane trivia that landed smack in the middle of my wheelhouse, for once. There are likely to be many more this season that make me stand (or sit) and stare so I'll definitely take this one.
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

Count me in the "even when I heard it, it didn't register" camp.for Gath. He was Goliath of the Philistines, not a hometown hero. Lol...
Pending...
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

pinkfreud wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:38 am I don't know where my brain was vacationing during Final Jeopardy!, but my response was "Goth." If I'd been a contestant, maybe my sloppy handwriting could've made it look enough like "Gath" to get me the win, but I doubt it. Now I am imagining Goliath with his hair dyed black, wearing eyeliner and black lipstick and listening to Bauhaus.
Good one!

About 20 seconds in, it struck me: it's someplace with a pithy name, like "Gath," right? Naturally, I went with "Goth" instead.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:20 am
reddpen wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:01 am For FJ I knew it was a single syllable city and was pretty sure it started with G and ended in "th", but the closest I could get was Goth. Kinda doubt the judges would have given me that. Now if Goth had been correct and I'd written Gath...
I'd say that's an edge case. I'm pretty much positive that if this had been a non-FJ clue, your response of "What is Goth?" would have been accepted. Especially if you said it with an English accent. Goth, pronounced in the usual way, is probably closer to the sound of the Hebrew word. Gath, with the a pronounced like the a in gas, is an Americanized pronunciation. I think the English would pronounce the a more like ah, but I'm not sure. But that would be a further argument that spelling it Goth doesn't really change the pronunciation. Add to that the fact that the original written Hebrew had no markings for vowels. You had to recognize the word from the consonants alone, supplying the vowels sounds that you knew the word to have. I suspect there's no way to be certain of the vowel on an uncommon word like Gath, though perhaps cognate words in other ancient near east tongues can help. But we probably can't rule out pronunciations like Get(h), Goot(h), Git(h), and Geet(h). Given that, it might be wise to rule that Goth is close enough. I don't know if the judges or someone with more knowledge of the subject would see it my way, though.
Were the Books of Samuel written in Hebrew or the koine? From what I've read, most scholars think that they were written in the 5-6th C BCE.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I'm another who knew exactly what they were looking for but had no actual knowledge of the answer. I racked my brain for Philistine cities and settled on Ashkelon with no confidence whatsoever since I knew that it still exists as a city.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Woof wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:51 pm Were the Books of Samuel written in Hebrew or the koine? From what I've read, most scholars think that they were written in the 5-6th C BCE.
Hebrew. The Septuagint translation into Koine Greek came 3 or 4 centuries later. Interestingly, the Septuagint transliterates Goliath's hometown as Γεθ (i.e. Geth). So their vowel choice was different from the one written down by the Masoretes between the 6th and 10th centuries CE.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Linear Gnome wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:07 am I invented Goliad.
You were in Texas in 1829?
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 29,600
38 R/3 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Corvette

Glad to see my boy Jason tearing it up. Not a great game for me, but a solve on a TS FJ! feels nice. Surprised more people haven't heard of "Goliath of Gath."
Sprinkles are for winners.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Woppy T wrote: I thought the 2 name category in DJ was poorly done. Alex, in his instructions and in providing the correct responses, gave two names, but the contestants kept doing portmanteaus. Obviously they would have accepted either, but this could have been explained better.
This.
I was sure they were supposed to say the two names as one, even after Alex explained it.

On the first clue revealed in that category: I could have sworn they were going for Barry Levinson on the back half, but the correct response ended with (Jerry) Seinfeld. I guess I just totally miss heard the clue. Can somebody post up the actual verbage?
davey

Post by davey »

Category 13 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:38 pm
Woppy T wrote: I thought the 2 name category in DJ was poorly done. Alex, in his instructions and in providing the correct responses, gave two names, but the contestants kept doing portmanteaus. Obviously they would have accepted either, but this could have been explained better.
This.
I was sure they were supposed to say the two names as one, even after Alex explained it.

On the first clue revealed in that category: I could have sworn they were going for Barry Levinson on the back half, but the correct response ended with (Jerry) Seinfeld. I guess I just totally miss heard the clue. Can somebody post up the actual verbage?
No, the correct response ended with the director of Addams Family Values...Barry Sonnenfeld.