Monday, February 13, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, February 13, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6311, 2012-02-13

2012 College Championship final game 1.

CONTESTANTS
Zack Terrill, a senior at Vanderbilt University from Winter Springs, Florida
Monica Thieu, a sophomore at the University of North Texas from Dallas, Texas
Sarah Bart, a senior at Goucher College from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you. Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Hello, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to the first half of our College Championship finals. Once again, the winner gets to take home this beautiful trophy, a replica of the big trophy on which their name will be inscribed along with the other winners through the years. It's too big and too heavy for them to transport, so they go home with this. Oh, and there is the matter of the money, isn't there? At least $100,000 to the winner, so, Zack, Monica, and Sarah, congratulations on getting this far. Good luck. Let's go to work. Here comes the Jeopardy! Round for you, and here are your categories. First off...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NORTH AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL (5/5)
COLLEGE COURSES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
VIRAL VIDEOS (5/5)
CONSTELLATION NAMES (5/5)
FACTS & FIGURES (5/5)
NICE "INK" (5/5) (Alex: Those three letters will either end or begin each correct response.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sarah: 10 R (including 3 rebounds and 1 DD), 0 W
Monica: 13 R, 3 W
Zack: 7 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 0
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Monica: $4,000
Zack: $2,800
Sarah: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: The first player we introduced on our program today as a finalist--Zack Terrill--has just received a rating in a sport that is not all that common. I want to hear about it.

Zack: Yeah, um, I'm a foil fencer. It's, um, something I started when I was a freshman in college. Um, saw the American compete at the Olympics. Got to Vanderbilt.
They had a club team. Joined it and been doing it since then.

Alex: Now the Olympics are coming up in London...

Zack: Oh, yeah.

Alex: And any possibility that--

[Zack laughs]

Alex: --you will at least try out for it?

Zack: Oh, I am nowhere near that level, but...

Alex: No?

Zack: [Laughing] One can dream. [Chuckles]

Alex: How--how long before you get to that level?

Zack: Never. [Laughing]

Alex: Oh. Okay. A good, honest answer.

Alex: Now a lot of people wonder about how bright Jeopardy! contestants are. Monica, how long did it take you to complete your last two years of high school?

Monica: Well, I haven't finished them yet, so hopefully two years. We'll see.

Alex: Two--two years?

Monica: Two years for the last two years. I'm in a program called the Texas Academy of Math and Science that UNT hosts, where juniors and seniors from high school attend UNT at the same time as finishing high school. That's what I meant.

Alex: So you're gonna basically do four years in one or two years?

Monica: It's my version of time travel. Works for me. [Chuckles]

Alex: It works for you. All right. Yeah, well, you've gotta be bright to do that. It took me six, but they were the best six years of my life in high school.

[Laughter]

Alex: Uh, Sarah Bart is from Philadelphia. Her dream job has nothing to do with Jeopardy! type games...

Sarah: Not at all.

Alex: But a different kind of game.

Sarah: Um, I would like to be a general manager of the New York Mets.

[Laughter]

Alex: Now what, even at this early stage, do you think qualifies you to be general manager of the Mets?

Sarah: Just being a hopeless but devoted fan for my entire life. [Chuckles]

Alex: [Chuckles] Stress "hopeless". No, the Mets are gonna be okay this year. All right. Let's get back into this then.

Sarah: No, they're not. [Laughs]

Alex: Z--they're not?

[Laughter]

Sarah: [Chuckles] No.

Alex: No? Okay. [Chuckles]

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sarah found the Daily Double on the 24th clue. Sarah had $3,600, Monica had $4,800, and Zack was at $2,800. Sarah made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,600.

COLLEGE COURSES $800: At Princeton, English 311, "The Medieval Period", is followed by English 312, the works of this poet

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Sarah: $8,000
Monica: $7,200
Zack: $3,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, February 13, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
COUNTRY CONFUSION (5/5)
MOVIE LINES (5/5)
THE ELEMENTS OF STYLE? (5/5)
SHORT STORY FILL-IN (4/5)
VOCABULARY (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
HISTORY IS STRANGE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sarah: 11 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Zack: 9 R, 1 W
Monica: 7 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sarah snagged the next Daily Double on the 18th clue. Sarah had $13,600, Monica had $14,000, and Zack was at $12,000. Sarah wagered $4,000.

VOCABULARY $2000: Carl Jung coined this word for a coincidence in time from the Greek for "with time"
(Sarah: I don't know.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Sarah who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 21st clue. Sarah had $10,000, Monica had $12,800, and Zack was at $10,800. Sarah wagered $3,000.

HISTORY IS STRANGE $2000: Our word for a captive worker originated when medieval German eastern expansion captured many of these people
(Alex: That's where we get the word "slave".)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
HISTORY IS STRANGE $1200: He endowed some big prizes after reading his own mistakenly printed & harshly critical obituary in 1888
(Monica: Who is Mark Twain?)
(Zack: Who is Oscar Wilde?)
(Sarah: Who is Pulitzer?)

SHORT STORY FILL-IN $1600: Faulkner:
"A Rose for ____"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Sarah: $17,400
Monica: $14,000
Zack: $12,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ANNIVERSARIES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Sarah: Wager $10,601 to cover Monica.
Monica: You ought to wager to cover Zack, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you ought to choose between wagering $0 or maximizing your winnings with a bet of all $14,000. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $10,000 (to shut out Zack) or less than $7,200 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Zack). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Sarah.
Zack: You ought to try wagering between $2,001 and $5,200. This will top a $0 wager by Monica while still beating Sarah and Monica on the Triple Stumper (should Sarah wager to cover Monica's doubled score and Monica wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2011 Elizabeth II marked the 400th anniversary of this, assembled by 47 translators in Oxford, London & Cambridge

FINAL SCORES
Zack: $12,000 - $4,000 = $8,000 (What is the Oxford English Dictionary?)
Monica: $14,000 + $4,000 = $18,000 (What is the King James Bible???)
Sarah: $17,400 - $7,600 = $9,800 (What is the Oxford English [small scribble])

Total Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Sarah: $17,600, 21 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Monica: $14,000, 20 R, 4 W
Zack: $12,000, 16 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $43,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Monica: 21/58 = .362
Sarah: 21/61 = .344
Zack: 16/58 = .276
Team: 58/63 = .921

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
NORTH AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL $200: Here's the view from the 7,200-foot Harney Peak in the Black Hills of this state

NORTH AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL $400: Cabo wabo! This port-of-call is where the Sea of Cortez meets the Pacific

NORTH AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL $600: If you're enjoying Rascal Flats at the landmark seen here, you're in this city y'all

NORTH AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL $800: Check out Yellowtail Dam, part of Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area in this state
(Monica: What is Wyoming?)

NORTH AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL $1000: Quebec's Chateau Frontenac Hotel overlooks this 800-mile river

CONSTELLATION NAMES $600: Lyra represents the lyre played by this Greek hero
(Monica: Who is Apollo?)

COLLEGE COURSES $600: A Wisconsin course on this in lit & cinema includes viewing "Nosferatu" & reading "The Historian"
(Monica: What are studies?)

FACTS & FIGURES $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a furry-tailed animal on the monitor.) Not classified in its own family, the red panda has flummoxed scientists, who previously placed it in the bear family and in the family named for this animal with a very similar tail

CORRECT RESPONSES
Chaucer
synchronicity
the Slavs
Alfred Nobel
Emily
the King James Bible
South Dakota
Cabo San Lucas
Nashville
Montana
the St. Lawrence
Orpheus
vampires
the raccoon
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, February 13, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Anniversaries
In 2011 Elizabeth II marked the 400th anniversary of this, assembled by 47 translators in Oxford, London, & Cambridge.
Spoiler
What is the King James Bible? Zack and Sarah both said the Oxford English Dictionary. although Sarah was missing the final word.
Sarah Bart (Goucher College): $17,400-$7,600=$9,800
Monica Thieu (North Texas): $14,000+$4,000=$18,000
Zack Terrill (Vanderbilt): $12,000-$4,000=$8,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zee2
Contributor

Post by Zee2 »

Exactly! Been pre-empted by as tasteless a tribute, if that's what it's called, as I have ever seen, until I turned the TV off.
About Whitney Houston, and I swear these people were gloating as they outshouted each other.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

In Viral Videos, I precalled Chocolate Rain and Nyan Cat, but neither came up. I spend a lot of time on YouTube but I'd never heard of Charlie Bit My Finger, and had heard of Numa Numa but had no idea what it consisted of. At least they didn't give us Fred or Annoying Orange.

Clinical and cognitive… what who? That clue seemed insanely wide open. No idea how you got psychology out of that. Nor butter out of Facts for $600. There are tons of foods that can be both salted and unsalted.

Is Movie Lines for $400 the first "crap" on the show?

Considering nearly every movie since 2002 has absolutely failed to interest me (Transformers included), I'm surprised I was 2/5 in that (Anchorman and Up).

Not even a guess on FJ! I was thinking it might be some obscure historical document everyone's heard of but me. I have no clue how you'd get to King James Bible from that.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

FJ took about 15 seconds, but I got there with time to spare. Weird wagers, but then day 1 wagers never make sense to me.

"A Good Man is ____ ____ ____" for 2k?!?! :roll:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:In Viral Videos, I precalled Chocolate Rain and Nyan Cat, but neither came up. I spend a lot of time on YouTube but I'd never heard of Charlie Bit My Finger, and had heard of Numa Numa but had no idea what it consisted of. At least they didn't give us Fred or Annoying Orange.
I was a perfect 0-fer in that category. I've at least heard of Susan Boyle, but the other for were NHOIs.
Considering nearly every movie since 2002 has absolutely failed to interest me (Transformers included), I'm surprised I was 2/5 in that (Anchorman and Up).
I was actually 4 of 5 in that category, which surprised me.
I have no clue how you'd get to King James Bible from that.
Guess who was King of England in 1611. No, really, guess ... ;)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I still can NOT keep those kings straight. How the freaking hell do you guys do it? I mean, there must be like 20 of them with the same name. How am I supposed to keep track of a King James I from a King James XIXIXIXIXIX* from a King James KFC/A&W?

*He was the one who couldn't count.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:In Viral Videos, I precalled Chocolate Rain and Nyan Cat, but neither came up. I spend a lot of time on YouTube but I'd never heard of Charlie Bit My Finger, and had heard of Numa Numa but had no idea what it consisted of. At least they didn't give us Fred or Annoying Orange.
I was a perfect 0-fer in that category. I've at least heard of Susan Boyle, but the other for were NHOIs.
I somehow managed to go 3/5 in that category. Just once I'd like for there to be some bit of nonsensical pop culture that I can ignore w/o it showing up as a clue on this show :P

Pardon me while I memorize MTV's entire lineup...
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Clinical and cognitive… what who? That clue seemed insanely wide open. No idea how you got psychology out of that.
They are two of the major branches in the field. Even if you didn't know that, cognitive...thinking... yeah :)

I got 3 in viral. Quite enjoyed that one. 4/5 on movies- nice set of quotes, and disappointed I missed the last one but I haven't seen that since I was a kid.

Got FJ! about 10 seconds in. Once it clicked it was obvious.

Monica is local, and they actually recapped the show on the news (we air at 11am here). She will be on live during tomorrow's news. Hopefully celebrating her win!
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

econgator wrote:
I have no clue how you'd get to King James Bible from that.
Guess who was King of England in 1611. No, really, guess ... ;)

Sounds like material for a "Stupid Answers" clue. "He was king of England when the King James Bible was translated."

I precalled Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee. (Oh, well, I got the Queen Elizabeth connection right at least.)
ACW

Post by ACW »

Alfred Nobel a triple stumper? :oops:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

After that interview, I'm totally smitten with Sarah.

And sorry, but that shoulda been a triple get.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I had really liked the boards that have been used so far in this college tournament, but this board left me very underwhelmed. We saw more dumbed-down categories and recent pop culture, as well as academic categories that were poorly written or just too easy. I am disappointed, but not surprised.

I went 0/5 in the Viral Videos. The only one that I had even heard of was "Charlie Bit My Finger," and I think that I might have learned that one in the last college tournament.

I thought I knew my Faulkner really well but I had never heard of that short story of his that came up.

FJ was an instant get. It wasn't a super easy clue, but I would have predicted it to be at least a double get.

Monica surprised me with how well she played. I have a feeling that this board may have played to her strengths more than the other two that she played on, but she had a great game on the buzzer and once again had the sole get on FJ, so mad props to her.
alamble

Post by alamble »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I still can NOT keep those kings straight. How the freaking hell do you guys do it? I mean, there must be like 20 of them with the same name. How am I supposed to keep track of a King James I from a King James XIXIXIXIXIX* from a King James KFC/A&W?

For the purposes of this question, you don't even need to know which James it was, simply that *a* James was on the throne in the early 1600s. Good grief.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

alietr wrote:After that interview, I'm totally smitten with Sarah.
I have been smitten with her since her first game. She has great interview stories and I like the calm demeanor that she has when she plays.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

alamble wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I still can NOT keep those kings straight. How the freaking hell do you guys do it? I mean, there must be like 20 of them with the same name. How am I supposed to keep track of a King James I from a King James XIXIXIXIXIX* from a King James KFC/A&W?

For the purposes of this question, you don't even need to know which James it was, simply that *a* James was on the throne in the early 1600s. Good grief.
I know that. But for any other clue involving kings, when you do need to know the roman numerals, it all just blends together for me.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
WRV
Always Lies

Post by WRV »

I guessed "Slavics" on the last Daily Double. Judges, would that count?
Last edited by WRV on Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company." -Jean-Paul Sartre
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I saw the bit about premature obituary and got my mind on Twain. I think the others were the same way and stayed with literary people. My second choice was P.T. Barnum for some reason.

Instaget FJ once I realized they were going for the 400th and not 40th anniversary. (So what happened in 1971?). A brief panic attack when the OED came to my mind late in the music, but stayed with the Bible.

IF OED had been the right question, would they have taken Sarah's response?

Nice scores considering the same person got all three DDs and missed one of them.

Lame interviews. Did Alex really think a guy who took up fencing on his college club team is going to make the Olympics? I was a bit confused about Monica's college setup? How old is she and is she still in high school?

Why is wanting to be the Mets' GM a strange goal? Alex seemed puzzled she'd want to do that.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I think the other problem here is I wasn't thinking the FJ! response would be a book at all.

Also, I thought the King James Bible was WAY the hell older than that.