Monday, September 16, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Monday, September 16, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

I said Ibsen, assuming the "peers" mentioned in the clue were fellow Scandinavians on the Nobel committee, which doesn't really make sense, since surely he would have gotten the Nobel if the Nobel committee people thought he should have.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:00 pm Shouldn't Russian authors be considered Eurasian authors rather than European ones? (During the precall phase, I wondered whether the FJ category name ruled out Russian authors, even though any Russian writer of note will have lived in the smaller European part of the country.) I thought the category name made the clue a little unfair, and was a factor in leading me to reject Tolstoy and go with Hugo.

The Jason juggernaut continues. 7 consecutive runaways going back to the final game of Season 35; without checking, I would guess that the only other contestants to have accomplished that are James and Ken.
Try googling tolstoy "eurasian author" and you get the message-
Did you mean: tolstoy "russian author"
It's not a popular idea...
No problem with
tolstoy "european author"
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Jason needs $54K+ to pass Austin and Julia on the money list in regular play. 27R and 3/3 on DDs like today is the way to keep winning.
He needs $54,970 to pass Austin and Matt. He would need to average $35,735 over the next two games to pass Julia.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Category 13 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:45 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Jason needs $54K+ to pass Austin and Julia on the money list in regular play. 27R and 3/3 on DDs like today is the way to keep winning.
He needs $54,970 to pass Austin and Matt. He would need to average $35,735 over the next two games to pass Julia.
Matt, right. I did not mean to stretch that + on the $54K+ that much. Thanks.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Duct tape was an embarrassing miss. I almost went with scotch tape but it just didn't quite fit. "Mesh" was throwing me for a loop since I couldn't see a way that tape would have a mesh in it.

"The Night Watch" was unfamiliar in the top box for me.

Ran "5", all but "Party of Five" in Family Television.

That was a tough comedy category. I got only $800. Not a single TOM for Chris Rock as far as I could tell.

Paralytic president = not FDR = HUGE negbait. Anyone else join me in that one?

No guess on FJ! Didn't see a single TOM in this clue at all.

Lach Trash: magistrate, Taft
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:49 pm Paralytic president = not FDR = HUGE negbait. Anyone else join me in that one?
Yes, and it was a head slap. FDR had polio. Wilson had a series of strokes, never recovered, but his VP didn't succeed him because his condition wasn't made public. 25th amendment only ratified in 1967, after JFK's assassination
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

John Boy wrote:Rodrigo did indeed have a tough day. Mistaking licorice for cotton candy and thinking that Truman was drafted to play in the NFL were two of the, um most unusual responses we've seen in a while.
I felt the clue about Gerald Ford would have made a decent FJ clue.
Rodrigo's blatantly wrong guess disrupted my thought process, so Jason gave the correct response before I could decifer it.
I think I could figure it out with enough time to write it down for FJ though.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Category 13 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:22 pm
John Boy wrote:Rodrigo did indeed have a tough day. Mistaking licorice for cotton candy and thinking that Truman was drafted to play in the NFL were two of the, um most unusual responses we've seen in a while.
I felt the clue about Gerald Ford would have made a decent FJ clue.
Rodrigo's blatantly wrong guess disrupted my thought process, so Jason gave the correct response before I could decifer it.
I think I could figure it out with enough time to write it down for FJ though.
That one clicked too late for me. Lions should have tipped me off to pick the only president with ties to my home state.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

morbeedo wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: Paralytic president = not FDR = HUGE negbait. Anyone else join me in that one?
Yes, and it was a head slap. FDR had polio. Wilson had a series of strokes, never recovered, but his VP didn't succeed him because his condition wasn't made public. 25th amendment only ratified in 1967, after JFK's assassination
Not me. I had Woodrow Wilson cold on that one. FDR had a brain aneurysm but didn't have a stroke. He just dropped dead.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:09 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:49 pm Paralytic president = not FDR = HUGE negbait. Anyone else join me in that one?
A clue about a paralyzed POTUS who isn't FDR isn't huge negbait if it's below the first row.

Plus, as noted above, FDR's paralysis didn't result from a stroke (although it's now widely believed that it was caused by Guillain–Barré syndrome, not polio as had long been thought), and it happened long before he moved into the White House. So on multiple counts, FDR didn't fit the clue.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:36 pm I said Ibsen, assuming the "peers" mentioned in the clue were fellow Scandinavians on the Nobel committee, which doesn't really make sense, since surely he would have gotten the Nobel if the Nobel committee people thought he should have.
Well, had Peer Gynt been among them...

I think Rodrigo deserves some sort of "any guess is better than no guess" prize.
I'm smart and I want respect.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I'm waiting for the "Jason left money on the table" reconciliation. It looked like he regretted he'd just dropped ten dimes just because you are supposed to sit on fifteen when the dealer has a four card up. Yeah, it feels good, and you know the edge is yours, but it still sucks when the dealer draws the six and finishes at 20.

The math keeping is an interesting dimension, I just object to identifying it as "money left on the table". It is the maximum upside while taking the maximum risk with your own money.

Good game, maybe some Jason fatigue is setting in, but he is an enjoyable fellow. I thought the TS's were pretty hard, so I don't get the little Diss from Mark about his test scores.

I second the motion for Rodrigo winning the "guess something" trophy.

I avoided the Dickens / England / Britain trap but couldn't think of any continental authors. I guessed Chekhov and was trying to pull the Russian one that isn't Dostoevsky but couldn't get Tchaikovsky out of my file sort.

I just saw the giant 5 digit numbers and figured they didn't want us to know if they were primes, and it is an Italian mathematician, so go with the Pavlov Fibonacci. I did go back and check that they were reasonably easy to spot as Fib's, but not in the time space of a clue response unless you are the Rain Man or Ramanujan.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Shaquebanisa »

Coryat: $27,000

36 R (2 DDs), 1 W--Missed the Adams/J.Q. Adams DD, took a WAG and said Washington & Monroe knowing neither one was correct.

FJ--Nope. I also figured that given it was the 1st Nobel Prize that the winners focused on Scandinavians, so I also guessed Ibsen.

LT: Woodrow Wilson
oduguy22
Swimming with the Jeopardy! Fishes

Post by oduguy22 »

Tolstoy crossed my mind first but the category had me thinking he wouldn't necessarily qualify so i went with Dickens. Had nothing better.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Said Hugo just to say something.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Well congrats to Laura for being the only one to solve that tough FJ, but obviously when you're going against a buzzsaw it really isn't going to matter much.

So glad to see Jason continuing his dominance! Let's hope he keeps this momentum going throughout the week!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MollyQMurphy wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:34 pm It must be the Minnesota connection. This is the second time in a week I had the same wrong FJ answer as Myron, and for similar reasons. Shaw it was, and wrong it was.

Interesting to see it from the front. Was in the audience for this one. It's a different perspective, for sure.
Snazzy new profile picture you have there, Molly!

After a few seconds of "It can be anybody!" I came up with Zola, Dickens, and Tolstoy. Tolstoy seemed to be the best fit, so I went with him.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

mas3cf wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:43 pm I guessed Dickens for lack of anything better (never mind that he had been dead for 30 years at that point :? ). Can someone walk me through the thinking that leads to Tolstoy? Or is it as simple as patriarch = Tolstoy?

Currently trying to build myself up on literature, and I'm disappointed in myself for not having anything to latch onto.
was never going to be a british author in a category called "european authors"...british authors and literature have their own category
earendel

Post by earendel »

I got Tolstoy based on the date and "patriarch".
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:42 am
mas3cf wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:43 pm I guessed Dickens for lack of anything better (never mind that he had been dead for 30 years at that point :? ). Can someone walk me through the thinking that leads to Tolstoy? Or is it as simple as patriarch = Tolstoy?

Currently trying to build myself up on literature, and I'm disappointed in myself for not having anything to latch onto.
was never going to be a british author in a category called "european authors"...british authors and literature have their own category
The British/European distinction is good to know for future gameplay, thanks! I hope this doesn't come off as snarky because it's a serious question: is this enough of a hard and fast rule in Jeopardy-land that if you're up on stage faced with that category, you'd not even allow British authors to cross your mind? Or is it merely a rule of thumb? Just trying to get a sense of how far to let my brain wander as the last few seconds are ticking off.