Monday, September 16, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, September 16, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, September 16, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EUROPEAN AUTHORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
When he didn’t win the inaugural 1901 Nobel Prize, 42 of his peers apologized to him, calling him “the most revered patriarch of today’s literature”

Jason Zuffranieri: 34400-10000=24400 (12x = $356,643)
Laura Majors: 8800+8000=16800
Rodrigo Morante-Tirado: 200-199=1

Correct response:
Spoiler
Leo Tolstoy (Jason – Goethe) (Rodrigo – Camus)

Daily Doubles
Jason: 2600+2600
Jason: 14400+7000
Jason: 22200+3000

Coryats
Jason: 25800
Laura: 8800
Rodrigo: 200

Combined: 34,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jason: 10000
Laura: 4000
Rodrigo: minus 1000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Funny that Jason got Avalon on Friday and Camelot today.

Five more clues left on the boards today. :( It was obvious the editor was working today as Laura had at least 3 clipped responses that shorted the hearing of her proper phrasing. It's there and just misses being heard fully to irk some needlessly.

Lots of incorrect responses to hit double digits creating many rebounds. Some of the triple stumpers had me getting a better picture of why Jason failed the test more than once in his early tries.

The FJ! category had me telling myself during the break that it likely meant no one British. For precalls I had Machiavelli, Kafka and Cervantes. The clue had me taking an unpleasant distracting trip down memory road as I proved in front of millions that Nobel Lit is not for me.

Trying to focus on the clue I had no idea who to guess. The correct guy was not going to happen as I consider him 1800s. Breaking my own rule I wrote Doyle to avoid a blank page. 0/2 on Mondays to start the season.

Jason passed Arthur Chu in games won making those going for the 12th win 8/9 times successful. A 13th win is 5/7 with Austin & Seth getting bounced at that point.

Jason needs $54K+ to pass Austin and Julia on the money list in regular play. 27R and 3/3 on DDs like today is the way to keep winning.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I went from Kipling to Shaw and stayed there, assuming that it was someone who won eventually. Sticking "never won" in the clue somewhere might have helped, but probably not.

Thumbs up to Laura for the sole solve.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I guessed Hugo, which I don't think was an outlandish proposition, but he died 16 years too early to have been a 1901 Nobel candidate. As long as we're in Russia, Dostoevsky died even earlier, in 1881.
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

The legend Sully Prudhomme getting the first Nobel nod over Tolstoy, or even Ibsen, considering the Nobel Committee’s predilection for awarding the Prize to Scandinavian writers really not known outside of their own countries (Harry Martinson and Eyvind Johnson beating out Nabokov says hi) is one of those big snubs that seems to come up a lot.
Leander

Post by Leander »

“Patriarch” immediately made me think of the pictures of the white bearded Tolstoy.
Pointer
Contributor

Post by Pointer »

Wow! How often do we see a spelling mistake in a Jeopardy! clue??? I grabbed my phone to take a screen shot as soon as I noticed it, but was too late to catch it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Pointer wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:14 pm Wow! How often do we see a spelling mistake in a Jeopardy! clue??? I grabbed my phone to take a screen shot as soon as I noticed it, but was too late to catch it.
The initial reveal was okay while it was the secondary shot with the error. Here are both:
Spoiler
Spoiler
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

I guessed Dickens for lack of anything better (never mind that he had been dead for 30 years at that point :? ). Can someone walk me through the thinking that leads to Tolstoy? Or is it as simple as patriarch = Tolstoy?

Currently trying to build myself up on literature, and I'm disappointed in myself for not having anything to latch onto.
Last edited by mas3cf on Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Shouldn't Russian authors be considered Eurasian authors rather than European ones? (During the precall phase, I wondered whether the FJ category name ruled out Russian authors, even though any Russian writer of note will have lived in the smaller European part of the country.) I thought the category name made the clue a little unfair, and was a factor in leading me to reject Tolstoy and go with Hugo.

The Jason juggernaut continues. 7 consecutive runaways going back to the final game of Season 35; without checking, I would guess that the only other contestants to have accomplished that are James and Ken.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

I felt fairly confident in guessing Émile Zola for FJ. Clearly, not the worst guess in the world.

I thought the season began this week; good to see Jason is still a beast.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

mas3cf wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:43 pm I guessed Dickens for lack of anything better (never mind that he had been dead for 30 years at that point :? ). Can someone walk me through the thinking that leads to Tolstoy? Or is it as simple as patriarch = Tolstoy?
Unsure about his dates, I also said Dickens. I wonder if there was any particular reason to know Tolstoy. Knowing who WON the first one seems REEEAAALLLYYY obscure, but asking for who LOST the first one is another degree of difficulty altogether. Woof. Seems like a tough way to lose me early-season perfect FJ record.

Aaaaaannnnnnndddddd…………, Jason just keeps rolling along.

Idle thought: Is the newest Rambo movie called "Last Blood" because Stallone is so old that his blood type has been discontinued?

Rodrigo did indeed have a tough day. Mistaking licorice for cotton candy and thinking that Truman was drafted to play in the NFL were two of the, um most unusual responses we've seen in a while.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

9021amyers wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:03 pm I felt fairly confident in guessing Émile Zola for FJ. Clearly, not the worst guess in the world.

I thought the season began this week; good to see Jason is still a beast.
Same here. I knew Zola was nominated for the first two prizes so I "locked in" on him and didn't think more about the clue. Turned out to be a bad mistake.
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

It must be the Minnesota connection. This is the second time in a week I had the same wrong FJ answer as Myron, and for similar reasons. Shaw it was, and wrong it was.

Interesting to see it from the front. Was in the audience for this one. It's a different perspective, for sure.
Pending...
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Although "patriarch" tried to lead me towards Papa Hemingway, I knew 1901 was too early for him. Went with Kipling instead. I was never going anywhere near Tolstoy.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:18 pmThumbs up to Laura for the sole solve.
For the record, I got it right, too

I don't know what thinking led me to Tolstoy. First, I thought of Dickens, but then remembered the recent Anna Karenina FJ and all the talk afterward about the category EUROPEAN AUTHORS pretty much excluding the Brits. I think it was a combination of the date and the image of a wizened old dude with a long beard

Starting at the bottom throws me off. I just can't get used to it.
davey

Post by davey »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:18 pm I went from Kipling to Shaw and stayed there, assuming that it was someone who won eventually. Sticking "never won" in the clue somewhere might have helped, but probably not.

Thumbs up to Laura for the sole solve.
Those were the only 2 plausible names that came to me, but I decided the clue would be really nasty if the person eventually won...so casting around, I ended up with Balzac, though I insist that Zola was the name I really meant...At least he was alive at the time.
It seems obvious on hearing the right response but I came nowhere near the right name.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I considered Twain and then went with Dickens.

Tolstoy's Wikipedia page mentions that he is well known for a Nobel prize controversy because he didn't win.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.