Thursday, September 19, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Thursday, September 19, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:36 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:19 pm
I was on track to run BRITISH NICKNAMES but they left the two easiest clues uncovered. I wasn't surprised William Caxton was a TS. If that clue makes the poll (not a request, but maybe a suggestion) I'll be interested to see the results. I was surprised by the TS on the GF in GFCI. That's the other clue in this game that might be interesting to poll.
The G didn't stump me but the F did

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:52 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:16 am
If I'd thought of toggle I don't think I'd have switched to it.
Or maybe you would have switched to it then switched back. [ducks and runs]

I would have clammed, but the only possible response that occurred to me was "multitask".

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:59 am

Volante wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:36 pm
opusthepenguin wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:19 pm
I was on track to run BRITISH NICKNAMES but they left the two easiest clues uncovered. I wasn't surprised William Caxton was a TS. If that clue makes the poll (not a request, but maybe a suggestion) I'll be interested to see the results. I was surprised by the TS on the GF in GFCI. That's the other clue in this game that might be interesting to poll.
The G didn't stump me but the F did
Likewise.

Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Peter the accountant » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:21 am

I need to expand my definition of “toy”. I always think of a Rubiks cube as a puzzle rather than a toy or game.

My first thought for FJ was erector set. Haven’t seen that mentioned yet. Also thought of Lego and tinker toys. Didn’t like any of them, figuring they were all older than the 1970s. Picked tinker toy, knowing it was probably wrong.

Fourth voyage in 1502 took me straight to Columbus. Never thought of the reference back to Ferdinand and Isabella.

Alex mentioned that luck has played a role in Jason getting this far. Didn’t think he would need so much of it to win again. Having opponents find and miss all three daily doubles was a bit of a lucky stroke for Jason.
--Peter

da Doctah
Contributor

Post by da Doctah » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:14 pm

Any comments on the fact that the same correct response appeared twice under "In the Ocean"? You don't see a lot of that, but when the very nature of the category means there are only four possible values, it becomes inevitable. I'm going to assume the one unrevealed clue would have given us Nilla's favorite wrong answer. (And I'm now sorry I didn't check out the J!6 clue for the same category.)

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:38 pm

da Doctah wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:14 pm
Any comments on the fact that the same correct response appeared twice under "In the Ocean"? You don't see a lot of that, but when the very nature of the category means there are only four possible values, it becomes inevitable. I'm going to assume the one unrevealed clue would have given us Nilla's favorite wrong answer. (And I'm now sorry I didn't check out the J!6 clue for the same category.)
There was a similar category a while back involving Mt Rushmore:
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3567

and the (in)Famous Treaties category:
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1310

I like em. Mixes things up; you don't get the luxury of being able to simply answer clues by process of elimination. But not too often though.

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:01 pm

I don't think it's uncommon where the category presents a limited list of possible responses. There are even some X, Y OR Z type categories where you have to say whether the clue thing should be classed in one of only three choices.

josephulton

Post by josephulton » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:35 pm

Volante wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:38 pm
da Doctah wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:14 pm
There was a similar category a while back involving Mt Rushmore:
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3567

and the (in)Famous Treaties category:
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1310

I like em. Mixes things up; you don't get the luxury of being able to simply answer clues by process of elimination. But not too often though.
Whoa -- crazy that in Mt Rushmore, they actually didn't even use one of the 4 possible responses.