Friday, September 20, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, September 20, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by floridagator »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:39 pm Jefferson and Hamilton wrote The Federalist Papers together, so that's how I decided to go with Jackson.
Jefferson was an anti-federalist. He opposed the adoption of the US Constitution. He was out of the country most of the time that the Federalist debate was taking place.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Jackson Bill.jpeg
Jackson Bill.jpeg (69.94 KiB) Viewed 3151 times
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Moderator hat on:

As a reminder, if you're (futilely) trying to educate TPH, there is a thread specifically for that. These conversations don't belong in the daily thread unless you think they will be of use to other Boardies.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

alietr wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:13 am Moderator hat on:

As a reminder, if you're (futilely) trying to educate TPH, there is a thread specifically for that. These conversations don't belong in the daily thread unless you think they will be of use to other Boardies.
you should add a button to his name that you can click and takes you directly to that thread...i might be one of the few people that do not use acronyms on here, but i am pretty fricking lazy overall
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:12 pm only foe i knew of hamilton was that burr dude...had no idea if that dude had ever been on currency and relegated to another piece before being permanently erased...so that is what i went with
Exactly my thought process. It's clear I have a pretty big gap in my knowledge of that time period.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

heppm01 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:44 am
CasketRomance wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:12 pm only foe i knew of hamilton was that burr dude...had no idea if that dude had ever been on currency and relegated to another piece before being permanently erased...so that is what i went with
Exactly my thought process. It's clear I have a pretty big gap in my knowledge of that time period.
yeah i have no idea why jackson and jefferson were his foes
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (My only miss was Bryan Cranston, though many of my peers probably would have gotten that.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Governor-General, Madagascar, Iran, eBook, (Outlander), Joseph Campbell, Mercurachrome, Pigeons, Massachusetts
Douglas Squasoni
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:36 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:07 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:02 pm Also, yesterday on the Oceans category, I WAGged on five clues and was wrong all five times. THAT is why I don't guess.
We're not talking about ringing in and guessing blindly on regular clues. We're talking about FJ, where not writing any response guarantees that you'll get it wrong.
But there have been dozens and dozens and dozens of times where I've put down a WAG on FJ! and it was just as wrong as a blank (most recently yesterday). And literally ZERO where I've put down a WAG that has ended up being right.
And how many times have you ever written down no response at all, and it turned out to be right?

:roll:
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

ditto
Last edited by John Boy on Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Incredible how we have had 2 of the top 3 highest regular play Jeopardy cash winners in one year!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:56 pm Incredible how we have had 2 of the top 3 highest regular play Jeopardy cash winners in one year!
Eh, not that incredible; David Madden's run finished less than a year after Ken's did.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:43 pm
CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:56 pm Incredible how we have had 2 of the top 3 highest regular play Jeopardy cash winners in one year!
Eh, not that incredible; David Madden's run finished less than a year after Ken's did.
To each their own.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

My very flawed FJ process was simple: run through the current bills. Washington, Lincoln, Hamilton, Jackson, Grant, Franklin.

Eliminate Washington - couldn't be described as a foe. Eliminate Lincoln and Grant - came around later (flaw one - that doesn't mean they couldn't have changed part of Hamilton's legacy). Eliminate Franklin - pretty sure he died before Hamilton. And eliminate Hamilton, of course. That leaves Jackson, which was my answer.

Flaw two - We'll just forget that Jefferson in on the $2. :oops:
Flaw three - We'll hope that the larger denominations existing during the time in the question don't matter. Mainly because the only person on one of those bills that I can remember is Chase.
Flaw four - Let's not think at all about earlier versions of currency, even though the idea of earlier versions is right there in the clue.

But I still got the right answer, so I'm claiming it, flawed thinking or not.
--Peter
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

As laid out in the musical, the reason Hamilton was never gon' be president had nothing to do with his being an immigrant and everything to do with sex.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:33 pm As laid out in the musical, the reason Hamilton was never gon' be president had nothing to do with his being an immigrant and everything to do with sex.
funny how banging a married woman can ruin a person's chances of being president back then, but owning a person and was quite acceptable...weird mofos back then