Friday, September 20, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, September 20, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, September 20, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. CURRENCY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1929 Alexander Hamilton became the new face of the $10 bill, replacing this foe of his legacy, who got moved to another denomination

Jason Zuffranieri: 18805-52=18753 (16x = $437,096)
John Lance: 6000-401=5599
Heather Sullivan: 9200-2850=6350

Correct response:
Spoiler
Andrew Jackson (All three players had (Thomas) Jefferson)

Daily Doubles
Jason: 3000+3000
Jason: 10400-4000
Jason: 18000+5

Coryats
Jason: 21600
John: 6000
Heather: 9200

Combined: 36,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jason: 8400
John: 3200
Heather: 3600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jason hit a few rough patches on his way to the runaway. John had 1800 and Heather had 2600 before Jason was on the board at clue 6 as the challengers seemed to be fine with high clue value starts.

After Jason missed DD2 to drop form 10400 to 6400, Jason then missed a $1600 clue that Heather rebounded for a quick scoreboard turnaround of her leading with 6400 to Jason's sudden drop down to 4800. John was still in at that point with his 3200.

DD3 was hiding well as Jason did not find it until clue 23. At that point the top row remained as well as STATE OF CHIEFS $800.

Jason led 18000 to 4800 to 8400 and went for five bucks. Heather got that $800 clue to put her at 9200 and the lock broken with those six top clues remaining. John woke up for three of them and Jason picked up two of them before time ran out to get to the last one. It was fun to watch the ending of the round while watching the scores though it did not matter since the FJ! clue was a triple miss.

The FJ! clue had me partially joining the players as I wrote "Jef" before going the right way. It was the ghost of my 11th grade U.S. history teacher reminding me of all that he taught the class about that era and fortunately enough stuck for today.

Jason is now #3 for money in regular play and won't be passing anyone else for at least double his current number of wins. Where Jason can makes moves is money won combined in both regular play and special play. Austin Rogers has the #10 spot with $486,000. Jason is shy of Buzzy at $439K+ and Ben Ingram with $443K+

Yesterday Jason defeated Adam who won $250K on Millionaire in 2014 and today's Millionaire alum is John who won $30,000 in 2018.

I have reloaded John's (board member LanceJ) Millionaire appearance:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s-tHz1 ... d2U7v/view
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Just in - Jason is now the third-highest money winner in regular play behind Ken and James.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The game had a ToC promo in between the DJ! and FJ! rounds: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1K3TL7 ... tVwyLZOEQn

I would call it spoiler free as I would not buy that the order of players in that 5-4-3-2 kind of sideways bracket shot of smaller pics increasing in size leading towards a full screen of James means anything. After the TOC I'll remember to revisit the promo just to make sure.

The focus of the promo is naturally James as it's obvious where the J! hype machine would lead.
LanceJ
Contributor

Post by LanceJ »

It’s me! Can’t wait to watch tonight!

Re:FJ
Spoiler
i thought of Jackson immediately, but realized he was the “obvious” one since the $20’s been in the news. I was crushed so I needed a solo get for 2nd and decided to veer to another possible but unlikely answer assuming Heather would answer Jackson given how strongly she played all game. Oops! let that be a lesson to the potential contestants reading this—don’t get too clever! FJ is unpredictable! just answer correctly if you think you know it!
Also, that signaling device is a real trickster! Good game, y’all. What a blast.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Here's how I thought through FJ:
Spoiler
1. Who else is on paper money? Washington, Jefferson, Jackson, Grant, Franklin. Also some other guys on higher denominations, but that's likely too obscure for FJ.

2. Washington and Franklin died in the 18th century so didn't have a say on Hamilton's legacy. What would Grant have to do with Hamilton? I dunno.

3. Between Jefferson and Jackson... Jackson was around later, so talking about Hamilton's "legacy" would be a better fit. Also, Jackson is known for being kind of a misfit in the office for his time, and I could see him not jelling with the Founding Fathers. Jefferson wasn't the type to spit on his rivals' graves; Jackson was. So Jackson was my guess. Jefferson and Hamilton were political rivals though, so tough call. Checking my math, I seemed to vaguely remember seeing old Jackson $10 bills.
Last edited by mas3cf on Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The 9/20 game is in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6420

and thanks to other archivists as well, S36 is now current. Well at least until Monday. :D
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

That eBook clue seemed poorly pinned. I don't know how there could've been an ebook in 1991.

Ran 2-Word Alliteration.

Sacco + Vanzetti and Beatles playing in Hamburg seemed obscure for the top box.

U.S. Currency seems like an easy narrow category... No idea who would've been a "foe of" Hamilton's legacy, because none of Washington, Jefferson, Jackson, or Grant seemed to fit. Why put down a guess, no matter what I put down will be wrong.

Lach Trash: Mercurochrome, pigeon
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Probably would have said Jefferson, except when I worked at 7-11 a few years ago, someone actually paid for their stuff with a Jackson $10 bill. I asked them if they really wanted to pay with it and they said yeah, as it wasn't worth more than $10 in the condition it was in anyway.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:28 pm That eBook clue seemed poorly pinned. I don't know how there could've been an ebook in 1991.
You're right. There were no computers in 1991.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I said James Madison :oops:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

mas3cf wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:00 pm Here's how I thought through FJ:
Spoiler
1. Who else is on paper money? Washington, Jefferson, Jackson, Grant, Franklin. Also some other guys on higher denominations, but that's likely too obscure for FJ.
Um, Lincoln?
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Congrats once again to Jason! Can't wait to see if he's fully rested come Monday. My last US History course (partly concerning the Jackson era, BTW :lol:) was just a few months ago, so I had no problems with this FJ.

LanceJ: Good game! Not going to lie, when I realized it was you in the contestants' gallery this week, I thought you stood a good chance of taking down the champ, if you got to play him. Sorry things didn't work out better, but I'm glad you enjoyed the experience nonetheless.

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:01 pm The game had a ToC promo in between the DJ! and FJ! rounds: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1K3TL7 ... tVwyLZOEQn

I would call it spoiler free as I would not buy that the order of players in that 5-4-3-2 kind of sideways bracket shot of smaller pics increasing in size leading towards a full screen of James means anything. After the TOC I'll remember to revisit the promo just to make sure.

The focus of the promo is naturally James as it's obvious where the J! hype machine would lead.
Interesting promo. Seems to me that this was made a few weeks ago and just now released after the fact, my guess would be to ensure that those would actually be the 15 players participating. Besides, doesn't J! need to send out games to their affiliates a few days early? That would be an awful quick turnaround if it was done immediately after the fact.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Jefferson and Hamilton wrote The Federalist Papers together, so that's how I decided to go with Jackson.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:39 pm Jefferson and Hamilton wrote The Federalist Papers together, so that's how I decided to go with Jackson.
Actually, Hamilton's co-authors in writing the Federalist Papers were James Madison and John Jay. That authorship is fresh in my mind because I just went to see Hamilton last weekend. :D
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:28 pm U.S. Currency seems like an easy narrow category... No idea who would've been a "foe of" Hamilton's legacy, because none of Washington, Jefferson, Jackson, or Grant seemed to fit. Why put down a guess, no matter what I put down will be wrong.
If you had put down one of them and that one had been Jackson, you would have been right. You need to internalize the idea that writing something will give you a greater than zero chance of being correct, so your podium should never just say "What is ?" when the think music stops.

And leaving aside Jefferson, whom all 3 contestants went with, why did you think Jackson didn't fit?

BTW, it's odd that today was the second game this week in which all 3 contestants chose the same incorrect response on FJ.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:59 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:28 pm U.S. Currency seems like an easy narrow category... No idea who would've been a "foe of" Hamilton's legacy, because none of Washington, Jefferson, Jackson, or Grant seemed to fit. Why put down a guess, no matter what I put down will be wrong.
If you had put down one of them and that one had been Jackson, you would have been right. You need to internalize the idea that writing something will give you a greater than zero chance of being correct, so your podium should never just say "What is ?" when the think music stops.

And leaving aside Jefferson, whom all 3 contestants went with, why did you think Jackson didn't fit?
Because I know bupkis about Jackson or why he and Hamilton, who was president a billion years prior, would have been at odds.

Also, yesterday on the Oceans category, I WAGged on five clues and was wrong all five times. THAT is why I don't guess.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:02 pm Hamilton, who was president a billion years prior
Ummmmmmmm, what?