Monday, September 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, September 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

Woppy T wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:56 pm
teapot37 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:42 pm The Pavlov for Chagall for me is "Russian Jewish painter". What musical could be about Russian Jews? Fiddler is the most likely candidate.
Same here.

Too bad that nobody even guessed on the “sgt Pepper” clue. Given the precedent from a few years ago I wonder if they would have required the complete title.
i figured it was a beatles album...i said revolver...i thought sgt pepper came out before revolver...had the years reversed...i hate the beatles
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Rackme32 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:45 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:30 pm ... Didn't think I would do that badly on the albums: knew $1,000 was a Beatles album but couldn't decide which one; picked the wrong 20 on Adele; NHO the two Fleetwood Mac songs named; and recognized both songs as Alanis Morrissette but couldn't name any of her albums in time (although I recognized Jagged Little Pill after the reveal).
<snip>
No guess on FJ! I know Fiddler on the Roof is a musical with a Russian theme, and that Chagall was Russian. The pieces were all in my brain, but as usual, they just completely evaporated and I just stared at the screen in stony silence.
I had zero idea on any of the albums... Only one I've heard (to my knowledge and not counting hit singles that happened to play on a radio within earshot somewhere) is Sgt. Pepper, but those titles rang no bells with me at all. Maybe with 3 minutes to think about it, I *might* have pulled Jagged Little Pill on a good day...

On FJ!, I had no idea where Chagall was based nor that he painted fiddlers on roofs (for what reason? I dunno), so no lead to Fiddler there for me even though I know that's the time period for it.

Went to our friend Google and found the painting... Never seen it before, and don't want to EVER see it again! Frickin' UGLY!
i got jagged little pill and nevermind...gave wrong number for adele
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

the picture they used of hilary duff was nothing like i remember her looking like...yeah i know she is older, but i recognize lots of child stars in pictures when they have become geezers...give me a picture of her from a cinderella story, the perfect man, or either of the cheaper by the dozen movies and it would have a gimme
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 35,800
43 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Mohammad bin Salman

Jason keeps chewing contestants up and spitting them out.

TIL that America's Cup is named after a boat rather than a country. That was a nasty DD, particularly in the second box.

I had heard the Chagall/Fiddler thing within the last couple of months, so it was just a matter of recalling it. Luckily, I was able to grab the mental flash card about 10 seconds into the Think Music.
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:18 pm For the rapper clue $ or no $?
I would add the dollar sign. I've never seen it rendered without.
Sprinkles are for winners.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:48 am TIL that America's Cup is named after a boat rather than a country. That was a nasty DD, particularly in the second box.
Odd. I thought that was fairly common knowledge.

Not a prayer on FJ.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:31 am
i hate the beatles
Well, I've never been to England, but I kind of like the Beatles. Then I headed for Las Vegas. Only made it out to Needles!

I said Outrigger for canoe. Judges?

From the year 1964, the musicals I came up with were Hello Dolly, funny girl, and Fiddler on the Roof. With those choices in mind, it was no problem coming up with the correct answer before the think music started. I knew Chagall was Jewish but I didn't know he was Russian. That would have made it all the more easier.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:28 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:48 am TIL that America's Cup is named after a boat rather than a country. That was a nasty DD, particularly in the second box.
I think I learned it from Jeopardy! (most recently 12/24/2013)...
The most surprising thing about FJ to me was Jason's apparent lack of confidence in his response... :roll:
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:18 pm The game is in the Archive: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6422

For the rapper clue $ or no $? I went S for starters and can change it if that is the better option. It would have been a NHOH for me except that I sometimes peek in at 3:00 to catch the TMZ Live headlines and he of course was a hot topic for more than a day.
Definitely $.
earendel

Post by earendel »

teapot37 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:42 pm The Pavlov for Chagall for me is "Russian Jewish painter". What musical could be about Russian Jews? Fiddler is the most likely candidate.
Same here.

Too bad that nobody even guessed on the “sgt Pepper” clue. Given the precedent from a few years ago I wonder if they would have required the complete title.
i figured it was a beatles album...i said revolver...i thought sgt pepper came out before revolver...had the years reversed...i hate the beatles
So does Allan Sherman...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj-2Tcuzy0I
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
earendel

Post by earendel »

I had no idea for FJ! - I associate Chagall with stained glass. And my knowledge of Fiddler was that it was inspired by the writings of Sholem Aleichem, so I didn't have any avenue to come up with the answer.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

earendel wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:06 am I had no idea for FJ! - I associate Chagall with stained glass. And my knowledge of Fiddler was that it was inspired by the writings of Sholem Aleichem, so I didn't have any avenue to come up with the answer.
from page one of the "Pavlov Revival" thread (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=343)(recently bumped):

"jewish russian = marc chagall (1887-1985)"
TravlRaider
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by TravlRaider »

I'm glad someone else thinks so. I would've gladly traded for the Bonhomme Richard clue.
davey

Post by davey »

Woppy T wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:30 am
earendel wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:06 am I had no idea for FJ! - I associate Chagall with stained glass. And my knowledge of Fiddler was that it was inspired by the writings of Sholem Aleichem, so I didn't have any avenue to come up with the answer.
from page one of the "Pavlov Revival" thread (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=343)(recently bumped):

"jewish russian = marc chagall (1887-1985)"
It's also helpful to know that he favored folk subjects. Mark Rothko was also Jewish and born in the Russian Empire (present-day Latvia - Chagall was born Lithuanian Jewish in what's now Belarus), but no one would think his work inspired a musical set in a shtetl.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:43 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:18 pm The game is in the Archive: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6422

For the rapper clue $ or no $? I went S for starters and can change it if that is the better option. It would have been a NHOH for me except that I sometimes peek in at 3:00 to catch the TMZ Live headlines and he of course was a hot topic for more than a day.
Definitely $.
Thank you Ironhorse and also BigDaddyMatty for the input. It's now A$AP Rocky in the Archive.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

mas3cf wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:47 pm I had no idea what to even guess for FJ, so just picked a random show from that time period, and was wrong. This highlighted a clear gap in my knowledge...
Don't be hard on yourself. This is hardly an area of knowledge most would be expected to have, even aspiring J! contestants. Pretty darned obscure, in fact.

To me "a clear gap in my knowledge" is when they present a clue about presidents or world history and you have to "pick a random " president or event. Yeah, that tells me to go brush up on that before I become a contestant.

In this case I can hardly imagine anyone thinking "I've gotta brush up on" this category as it's unlikely ever to be used again.

BTW I had the same impression and same blank. I strained to think of a show from that period and WAGGED Camelot. You?
davey

Post by davey »

John Boy wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:04 am
mas3cf wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:47 pm I had no idea what to even guess for FJ, so just picked a random show from that time period, and was wrong. This highlighted a clear gap in my knowledge...
Don't be hard on yourself. This is hardly an area of knowledge most would be expected to have, even aspiring J! contestants. Pretty darned obscure, in fact.

To me "a clear gap in my knowledge" is when they present a clue about presidents or world history and you have to "pick a random " president or event. Yeah, that tells me to go brush up on that before I become a contestant.

In this case I can hardly imagine anyone thinking "I've gotta brush up on" this category as it's unlikely ever to be used again.

BTW I had the same impression and same blank. I strained to think of a show from that period and WAGGED Camelot. You?
Mark has already shown that this bit of knowledge has been used again and again on the show.
Which category is unlikely to be used again? Broadway Musicals?? Artists???
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

TravlRaider wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:56 am
I'm glad someone else thinks so. I would've gladly traded for the Bonhomme Richard clue.
One of the five stories on my card was how I tried to interview Ted Turner at the America's Cup and he proceeded to call me a 'yo-yo' for about 10 minutes straight. He was in the news a lot more back then.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

No hope for me on FJ. I know nothing about Chagall other than he's a painter. Was left to randomly guess early 1960s musicals. Picked West Side Story because Jesus Christ, Superstar and The Sound of Music didn't strike me as potential titles of paintings. Now I can try to add his Russian and Jewish pavlov to my aging memory banks.

I surprised myself by knowing that the two songs were by Adele. Had no idea what album they were on, so I remained clam on that one. After the reveal, I recalled that her two albums are named for her age when released. Baby steps.
--Peter
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Same here.

i hate the beatles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6fGcpp3KzE
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

davey wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:27 am
econgator wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:28 am
I think I learned it from Jeopardy! (most recently 12/24/2013)...
The most surprising thing about FJ to me was Jason's apparent lack of confidence in his response... :roll:

I thought the same thing at first about Jason’s lack of confidence in his answer but I realized he shook his head because Alex asked if Jason would surpass the $500,000 mark with his answer.

I’m not a Beatles fan myself but one should be familiar with their catalogue if one wishes for success in trivia. But yes, they were an okay pop combo. As for FJ, this was my first correct FJ on a Monday for this season! I went with Hello Dolly! at first but I had an aha moment halfway through.