Wednesday, February 15, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alamble »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Inca Cola is tasty though.
It's probably made with cane sugar, the way Mexican Coke is, as opposed to HFCS.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Inca Kola is NOT tasty, but you have to wash the cuy down with something.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

alamble wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Inca Cola is tasty though.
It's probably made with cane sugar, the way Mexican Coke is, as opposed to HFCS.
I can actually get Mexican Coca-Cola around here.

And Sangria Señorial, which I really like. That's another addition to the "list of things I tried for the first time on one of my trips to Wheel of Fortune auditions in Jacksonville".
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Mexican Coke has been available at CostCo lately.
emtwo
Contributor

Post by emtwo »

The Sack-n-Save right outside campus has an impressive selection of Mexican sodas. I'm pretty sure they have Jarritos in every color of the rainbow.
Nevertheless I went 3/5 on Coke (for some reason I assumed all the products had to be soft drinks so I did not see tea for the Japanese one.) DJ! was kind bad for me because of the bounty of not-quite-current pop culture-type answers. Darn you old people! FJ! took me a little, but I did eventually settle on Connecticut. I was thinking the three oldest universities were Harvard, Penn, and Yale, (which I know now is false but it ended up okay) and I knew Pennsylvania was certainly not the third smallest state, so CT it was.

Do the teachers always bet really conservative? Definitely a departure from us college kids wagering everything willy-nilly.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

emtwo wrote:The Sack-n-Save right outside campus has an impressive selection of Mexican sodas. I'm pretty sure they have Jarritos in every color of the rainbow.
Nevertheless I went 3/5 on Coke (for some reason I assumed all the products had to be soft drinks so I did not see tea for the Japanese one.) DJ! was kind bad for me because of the bounty of not-quite-current pop culture-type answers. Darn you old people! FJ! took me a little, but I did eventually settle on Connecticut. I was thinking the three oldest universities were Harvard, Penn, and Yale, (which I know now is false but it ended up okay) and I knew Pennsylvania was certainly not the third smallest state, so CT it was.
Penn's #4 (so they say ...), so you weren't that far off.
Do the teachers always bet really conservative? Definitely a departure from us college kids wagering everything willy-nilly.
It seems so, yeah. A quick glance at the Archive shows that of the 30 DD's hit, 26 of them were wagers under $3200 and about 20 of those were under $2000. I much prefer your style of play. :)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

econgator wrote:
It seems so, yeah. ... I much prefer your style of play. :)
Ditto!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: My Blu-ray collection: Devil's Island Discs

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
DBear wrote:quick commentsNever heard of the term "Golden Hour" being used in the context of lifesaving.

Ok, show of hands, people. How many have actually seen Papillon?
I'd heard of Golden Hour in the context of life-saving, but am more familiar with it as it applies to filmmmaking (the brief periods just before sunrise, or after sunset, when the light has rather magical properties unobtainable at any other time of day).
Interesting, Ive only heard "Magic Hour" for that term, though always in context of movie-making. (The wikipedia entry for Golden Hour suggests that cinematography is where "magic hour" is most often used, whereas "Golden Hour" seems to have originated with photography)
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

alamble wrote:Actually, most of Coke's international beverages are gross.
Lift Lemon, which I've had in Australia, is delicious.
davey

Post by davey »

Paucle wrote:
billy pilgrim wrote:I saw Papillon on the big screen in 1973. Have seen it several times on tv since. Excellent movie - Dustin Hoffman and Steve McQueen acting a screenplay by Dalton Trumbo.
yeah, I'm a little surprised by the general indifference to the film displayed here. It's brilliant, and in fact earns a rare 8.0 at the IMdB.
Is it indifference, or that the movie is so old..., and largely forgotten, despite its IMDB rating? I think I saw it in a college film series, several years after it came out...but I know I read the Mad magazine parody when it was new! In retrospect, Popicorn is an uninspired title. (There's a list of all the Mad movie parodies on Wikipedia!)
I was struck that Alex made the same remark about Born Free - even less likely to have been seen by these thirty-something contestants.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I was home sick yesterday, and Born Free was on TCM. It's quite a nice little movie.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

davey wrote:but I know I read the Mad magazine parody when it was new! In retrospect, Popicorn is an uninspired title.
Incidentally, I actually have that issue of Mad somewhere. I had no idea what the hell they were spoofing until I looked it up.

Their art director said that Mad is always best when you first start reading it. I read it a lot between 1998 and 2001, and having found several older issues at comic book stores, I disagree: it was best in the 70s and 80s.

(Not that I have a problem with crass humor. I think I kept giving up on modern-day Mad because they kept spoofing stuff I've never heard of.)
Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Miss Mellie »

bpmod wrote:In 1992 (OMG is it going to be 20 years already) I was at a friend's wedding in Virginia and this guy (he was probably drunk, but I don't remember) was in my face about how stupid Canadians are and how they know nothing about the USA. When I told him I could name all the states and their capitals, he responded with "Yeah, but you only have, like, three or something." Instead of letting it go, I reminded him that I had been referring to US states (Canada has provinces, and there are (and were then) ten of them). But in light of his assumption, I told him that I'd name 5 US states & capitals for every Canadian province & capital that he named. He didn't take me up on it, but the challenge vey quickly came for me to "put my money where my mouth was", and so, after my response was "in what order would you like them?" I had to deliver. I couldn't do them by population, but the other three orders were (then) simple.
From now on, I am only attending weddings with Brian as my date.

I have seen Papillon (Steve McQueen - the ultimate bad ass) but just couldn't get the word out of my mouth. On the other hand, I have not seen Born Free but was shouting that one at the screen. In Kenya, I stayed at Joy Adamson's home on the shores of Lake Naivasha. It's now a conservation center and vacation lodge named Elsamere, after the lion of course. It's a nice little place. They feed the colobus monkeys kitchen scraps and warn you not to wander the grounds at night, lest the hippopotami feel territorial.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Miss Mellie wrote:
bpmod wrote:In 1992 (OMG is it going to be 20 years already) I was at a friend's wedding in Virginia and this guy (he was probably drunk, but I don't remember) was in my face about how stupid Canadians are and how they know nothing about the USA. When I told him I could name all the states and their capitals, he responded with "Yeah, but you only have, like, three or something." Instead of letting it go, I reminded him that I had been referring to US states (Canada has provinces, and there are (and were then) ten of them). But in light of his assumption, I told him that I'd name 5 US states & capitals for every Canadian province & capital that he named. He didn't take me up on it, but the challenge vey quickly came for me to "put my money where my mouth was", and so, after my response was "in what order would you like them?" I had to deliver. I couldn't do them by population, but the other three orders were (then) simple.
Ditto. And I'm straight. And married.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

emtwo wrote:Do the teachers always bet really conservative? Definitely a departure from us college kids wagering everything willy-nilly.
well, there's a lot less data on the teacher's tournament, of course, but the historical data for the college tournament suggests that you need a pretty big score ($18k or so) for a wild card. that could explain the aggressive wagering. if you go into final with, say, $12k, you might very reasonably think, "i'm not going to Q unless i get this right, so i might as well bet it all". in the teacher's tournament, though, there's no particular mark to shoot for, so you might just bet whatever you think might give you a decent chance to win and hope to snag a wild card if you don't.

i kind of thought patrick might bet it all the way he snapped up that rockumentary category, but his actual wager was much more sensible in the context of a tournament quarterfinal. too bad he overthought it, but he made up for it by winning anyway. he seemed like the only one of the three who was brave in this game, so i'm glad he won.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:
Miss Mellie wrote:
Ditto. And I'm straight. And married.
Hmmm... maybe I should hire myself out as a wedding date. I'm not attached and I do so love to travel.

But sorry Dave. I think I'll have to limit myself to women only.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I think I kept giving up on modern-day Mad because they kept spoofing stuff I've never heard of.
Yeah, you wouldn't want to accidentally learn about something pop-culture-related. Where could that knowledge possibly come in handy?

(I don't read the magazine currently, but I do watch the cartoon. I did give a subscription to the magazine to a friend's son for his 9th birthday -- I started reading MAD when I was 8 -- and it was a big hit with him.)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

trainman wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I think I kept giving up on modern-day Mad because they kept spoofing stuff I've never heard of.
Yeah, you wouldn't want to accidentally learn about something pop-culture-related. Where could that knowledge possibly come in handy?
I don't need Mad to know that all modern movies suck. :-P