Wednesday, October 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
Category 13
Wagering Viking
Posts: 1554
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:43 pm
Location: This side of paradise

Re: Wednesday, October 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Category 13 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:43 pm

John Boy wrote: That's the kind of game I love to see: three evenly matched, good quality players, all with a realistic chance going into the final. The kind of game I hate to see anyone lose. And capped off by three absolutely spot-on correct FJ wagers. Well done, all.
The J round was something of a hot mess, as Alex made a note of before starting DJ.

Bill was wary to pad his wager by $9, to avoid being one-upped in the event Kevin takes a chance on shortagey. This wagering scenario gives the leader reasonable case for covering 3rd by a small amount more than one dollar, as that's what 2nd is expected to do.
Bill could have actually added another 780 or so without hurting his chances in a TS.

Furthermore, Kevin could have anticipated the above strategy from Bill and countered with a fine tuned shortagey wager of $7200.
Last edited by Category 13 on Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1738
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: Wednesday, October 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:44 pm

Emma Boettcher's father is also named Kevin. That's a heck of a coincidence.

Bigdogstalfos
Contributor
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:36 pm

Re: Wednesday, October 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bigdogstalfos » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:56 pm

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:44 pm
Emma Boettcher's father is also named Kevin. That's a heck of a coincidence.
Maybe the current Kevin is part of a secret government Boettcher cloning and Jeopardy engineering project. Each subsequent Boettcher gathers more and more info into creating the ultimate Boettcher player.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6241
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Wednesday, October 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:27 am

I played against a Feerick a few months after another Feerick's appearance (in which he won as many games as, and more money than, Emma).

User avatar
Shaquebanisa
Contributor
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 12:24 pm
Location: Northwest Suburbs of Chicago

Re: Wednesday, October 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Shaquebanisa » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:32 am

Coryat: $28,800

35 R (2 DDs), 2 W. Missed the Brussels DD, said Madrid because my European geography with regards to country locations is poor.

FJ--Took me about 10 seconds to go from "czar"--->Russia, Russian body of water--->Caspian Sea-->sturgeon.

LT: du Pont, Jim Beam

jev15
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:20 pm

Re: Wednesday, October 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jev15 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:50 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:28 pm


Hercule Poirot seemed obscure for the top box, especially relative to Sherlock Holmes at $400.

In terms of books sold, Agatha Christie ranks below only Shakespeare and the Bible. She has been translated more than any other author. Hercule Poirot is her most famous creation, and has been featured in dozens of movies and a long-running TV series.

In other words, very much the opposite of obscure. Please stop confusing things you don't know with things most people don't know.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 7679
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, October 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:04 am

jev15 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:50 am
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:28 pm


Hercule Poirot seemed obscure for the top box, especially relative to Sherlock Holmes at $400.

In terms of books sold, Agatha Christie ranks below only Shakespeare and the Bible. She has been translated more than any other author. Hercule Poirot is her most famous creation, and has been featured in dozens of movies and a long-running TV series.

In other words, very much the opposite of obscure. Please stop confusing things you don't know with things most people don't know.
I wasn't calling NHOI, just saying that the name seemed less pavlovian to mystery novels than Sherlock Holmes, whom I would've thought was THE definitive #1 no-holds-barred champion of fictional detectives. And somehow despite knowing both "Agatha Christie" and "Hercule Poirot", i've never managed to make a mental match between the two. Yet another example of me only "half-knowing" things.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

talkingaway
Contributor
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:59 am

Re: Wednesday, October 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:41 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:04 am
jev15 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:50 am
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:28 pm


Hercule Poirot seemed obscure for the top box, especially relative to Sherlock Holmes at $400.

In terms of books sold, Agatha Christie ranks below only Shakespeare and the Bible. She has been translated more than any other author. Hercule Poirot is her most famous creation, and has been featured in dozens of movies and a long-running TV series.

In other words, very much the opposite of obscure. Please stop confusing things you don't know with things most people don't know.
I wasn't calling NHOI, just saying that the name seemed less pavlovian to mystery novels than Sherlock Holmes, whom I would've thought was THE definitive #1 no-holds-barred champion of fictional detectives. And somehow despite knowing both "Agatha Christie" and "Hercule Poirot", i've never managed to make a mental match between the two. Yet another example of me only "half-knowing" things.
I can't get too worked up about the clues being Poirot then Holmes, as opposed to the other way around. Yes, they get harder as you go down, but adjacent clues can occasionally be "in the wrong box", and it doesn't bug me. Poirot's probably the second biggest fictional detective out there next to Holmes.

Plus, the Holmes clue was actually a little bit tough. Holmes and British sleuth is a pretty solid pairing, but I'm sure there are others, and you can get trapped. Plus, the book in the clue isn't even a Conan Doyle book - it's a modern book that uses the Holmes character. I'm not sure how obscure this particular series of books is, as I'm not a huge reader of mystery novels, but the other clue is "Beekeeper", since Holmes takes up beekeeping after retiring. In fact, there's a movie Mr. Holmes with Ian McKellen that has beekeeping as part of the film.

Anyone else notice in DJ! that one of the contestants failed to answer in the form of a question, and then corrected himself? I guess if he can do it before Alex calls him wrong, it's okay...I thought I read that in J! they'll ask for clarification, but in DJ! and FJ!, you're out. I'd be so tempted to phrase all my responses, "Are you asking me about ....?" just to see what happens.

User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!
Posts: 2849
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Wherever I May Roam
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, October 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:38 am

Coryat: 30,800
43 R/4 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: DuPont, Jim Beam, Mugwumps

Like the contestants, I had a hard time getting untracked. On FJ!, I put sturgeon but worried about beluga. I thought they were the same thing, but I was sweating the possibility of a near miss.

Recently, the Chinese have essentially taken over the caviar trade, driving down prices and, with them, the luxury associated with the product. Here is an interesting article on the subject.
Sprinkles are for winners.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6241
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Wednesday, October 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:41 am

talkingaway wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:41 am
Anyone else notice in DJ! that one of the contestants failed to answer in the form of a question, and then corrected himself? I guess if he can do it before Alex calls him wrong, it's okay...I thought I read that in J! they'll ask for clarification, but in DJ! and FJ!, you're out. I'd be so tempted to phrase all my responses, "Are you asking me about ....?" just to see what happens.
As a rule, it seems, Alex just lets time run out on misphrasing contestants in DJ, leaving it to them to figure it out from his silence.

Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 521
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:13 am

Re: Wednesday, October 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Peter the accountant » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:52 am

Lots of asking for the full title of the category, slowing things down a bit. Then there's the inherent delay for triple stumpers and wrong answers. Toss in some thought before asking for the next clue, and we get a number of clues left on the board.

My first reaction to FJ was asking myself for a Russian fish associated with royalty. Only one answer came to mind. Spent over half of the think time trying - and fortunately failing - to come up with some alternative.
--Peter

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2455
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Wednesday, October 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:35 pm

Category 13 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:43 pm
John Boy wrote: That's the kind of game I love to see: three evenly matched, good quality players, all with a realistic chance going into the final. The kind of game I hate to see anyone lose. And capped off by three absolutely spot-on correct FJ wagers. Well done, all.
The J round was something of a hot mess, as Alex made a note of before starting DJ.

Bill was wary to pad his wager by $9, to avoid being one-upped in the event Kevin takes a chance on shortagey. This wagering scenario gives the leader reasonable case for covering 3rd by a small amount more than one dollar, as that's what 2nd is expected to do.
Bill could have actually added another 780 or so without hurting his chances in a TS.

Furthermore, Kevin could have anticipated the above strategy from Bill and countered with a fine tuned shortagey wager of $7200.
And I thought this thread was already finished with the carp.

:roll:

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Sharp As A Tack
Posts: 1071
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Wednesday, October 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:24 pm

52 R (Missed Nicole Kidman, Jim Beam, Inside the Actor's Studio, and Chuck Grassley.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Sherlock Holmes, DuPont, *Sulky*, Lisbon, Mugwumps
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 128.9k games
Alpaca Farm: 1298 quizzes

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3427
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Wednesday, October 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:35 pm

talkingaway wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:41 am

I can't get too worked up about the clues being Poirot then Holmes, as opposed to the other way around. Yes, they get harder as you go down, but adjacent clues can occasionally be "in the wrong box", and it doesn't bug me. Poirot's probably the second biggest fictional detective out there next to Holmes.

Plus, the Holmes clue was actually a little bit tough. Holmes and British sleuth is a pretty solid pairing, but I'm sure there are others, and you can get trapped. Plus, the book in the clue isn't even a Conan Doyle book - it's a modern book that uses the Holmes character. I'm not sure how obscure this particular series of books is, as I'm not a huge reader of mystery novels, but the other clue is "Beekeeper", since Holmes takes up beekeeping after retiring. In fact, there's a movie Mr. Holmes with Ian McKellen that has beekeeping as part of the film.
Also, since Sherlock Holmes IS more famous than Poirot, more people would know that he never had a secretary...probably more than would remember he took up beekeeping, actually...The McKellen movie is what made me think of it, though I remember little else about it.

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 2342
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Wednesday, October 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by morbeedo » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:42 pm

Category 13 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:43 pm
John Boy wrote: That's the kind of game I love to see: three evenly matched, good quality players, all with a realistic chance going into the final. The kind of game I hate to see anyone lose. And capped off by three absolutely spot-on correct FJ wagers. Well done, all.
Bill was wary to pad his wager by $9, to avoid being one-upped in the event Kevin takes a chance on shortagey. This wagering scenario gives the leader reasonable case for covering 3rd by a small amount more than one dollar, as that's what 2nd is expected to do.
Bill could have actually added another 780 or so without hurting his chances in a TS.

Furthermore, Kevin could have anticipated the above strategy from Bill and countered with a fine tuned shortagey wager of $7200.
I'm a little late to the party, but I don't follow shoretegic wagering. Could you please elaborate? The scores going into final were 15,200 / 10,800 / 13,200. How is 8,410 better than 8,401 from 2nd place?

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 2342
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Wednesday, October 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by morbeedo » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:58 pm

I'm not afraid to admit what I don't know: NHO Mengele. I paused on that clue and thought, "Should I know this??" I had to turn on subtitles to get the spelling. Overall, the WWII era is a real weak spot for me. A friend recommended "The Second World War" by Anthony Beevor, so I bought the book but it's rather intimidating at 800 pages! Mengele is mentioned on exactly 3 pages.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6241
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Wednesday, October 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:25 pm

morbeedo wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:42 pm
Category 13 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:43 pm
John Boy wrote: That's the kind of game I love to see: three evenly matched, good quality players, all with a realistic chance going into the final. The kind of game I hate to see anyone lose. And capped off by three absolutely spot-on correct FJ wagers. Well done, all.
Bill was wary to pad his wager by $9, to avoid being one-upped in the event Kevin takes a chance on shortagey. This wagering scenario gives the leader reasonable case for covering 3rd by a small amount more than one dollar, as that's what 2nd is expected to do.
Bill could have actually added another 780 or so without hurting his chances in a TS.

Furthermore, Kevin could have anticipated the above strategy from Bill and countered with a fine tuned shortagey wager of $7200.
I'm a little late to the party, but I don't follow shoretegic wagering. Could you please elaborate? The scores going into final were 15,200 / 10,800 / 13,200. How is 8,410 better than 8,401 from 2nd place?
This wasn't a Shore's Conjecture game; Shoretegic wagering is when first place recognizes second place has third locked out and can pass first place while holding on to the lock, and only wagers to surpass second's maximum score. So if the scores were $15,200 to $10,800 to $3,000, and first place guesses second won't wager above $4,800, and bets $401 to cover that, that's Shoretegy.

Presumably, as the game actually was, $8,410 is slightly better than $8,401 for second place because first place might decide to underwager by covering third instead of second (which, again, is not Shoretegy). (Donna Vogel did this in her fourth game from $18,400 to $18,000 to $10,800, but she covered third by $300, and won in a double get against second place, who covered third by $100.)

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 2342
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Wednesday, October 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by morbeedo » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:36 pm

seaborgium wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:25 pm
morbeedo wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:42 pm

I'm a little late to the party, but I don't follow shoretegic wagering. Could you please elaborate? The scores going into final were 15,200 / 10,800 / 13,200. How is 8,410 better than 8,401 from 2nd place?
This wasn't a Shore's Conjecture game; Shoretegic wagering is when first place recognizes second place has third locked out and can pass first place while holding on to the lock, and only wagers to surpass second's maximum score. So if the scores were $15,200 to $10,800 to $3,000, and first place guesses second won't wager above $4,800, and bets $401 to cover that, that's Shoretegy.

Presumably, as the game actually was, $8,410 is slightly better than $8,401 for second place because first place might decide to underwager by covering third instead of second (which, again, is not Shoretegy). (Donna Vogel did this in her fourth game from $18,400 to $18,000 to $10,800, but she covered third by $300, and won in a double get against second place, who covered third by $100.)
Wow. I follow the math, but not the strategy. I need to sit with this one for a while. Thanks for the explanation!

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8099
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Wednesday, October 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:31 am

morbeedo wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:58 pm
I'm not afraid to admit what I don't know: NHO Mengele. I paused on that clue and thought, "Should I know this??" I had to turn on subtitles to get the spelling. Overall, the WWII era is a real weak spot for me. A friend recommended "The Second World War" by Anthony Beevor, so I bought the book but it's rather intimidating at 800 pages! Mengele is mentioned on exactly 3 pages.
The important things about Mengele were that he was a Nazi doctor at Auschwitz who performed horrific experiments on the prisoners and was known as the White Angel or Angel of Death.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3427
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Wednesday, October 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:48 am

econgator wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:31 am
morbeedo wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:58 pm
I'm not afraid to admit what I don't know: NHO Mengele. I paused on that clue and thought, "Should I know this??" I had to turn on subtitles to get the spelling. Overall, the WWII era is a real weak spot for me. A friend recommended "The Second World War" by Anthony Beevor, so I bought the book but it's rather intimidating at 800 pages! Mengele is mentioned on exactly 3 pages.
The important things about Mengele were that he was a Nazi doctor at Auschwitz who performed horrific experiments on the prisoners and was known as the White Angel or Angel of Death.
Also, that he fled to Argentina after the war, and lived there and elsewhere in South America, evading capture until he died in 1979, despite the efforts of Nazi hunters like Simon Wiesenthal.
This is the fact around which Ira Levin built his highly fictional thriller The Boys From Brazil, which became a movie in 1978. Gregory Peck played Mengele.

Post Reply