Thursday, October 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, October 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

John Boy wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:18 pm Man, this was sad. My LT on PGA championship, (Edison's) hearing, lanai, pulsar, rifling, and Yankees was enough to go into FJ in a tie with Kevin from the imaginary 4th podium. That plus my all-in instaget FJ won the game. And all those clues left unrevealed? UGH.

I knew about Edison's hearing difficulty without this clue, which was good for me because the awkwardness of phrasing and mention of mastoiditis made me think I would never have figured this one out without knowing it going in.

Well, Kevin made it into the J! players HoF, but it really wasn't pretty. Have to see how the guy rebounds after a seriously subpar win.
Credit to Mickey Rooney in Young Tom Edison for knowing the hearing loss without worrying about trying to decipher the medical term in the clue.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

SONG: ‘(1962) Nothing can stop the BLANK, BLANK, BLANK, BLANK of BLANK’
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:32 pm

Maybe 1976 (by Stevie Wonder): Sir (BLANK)?

The only played clue on the board was "Duke of Earl"
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:32 pm
MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:01 pm Have an idea for the four unplayed clues in SONG ROYALTY & NOBILITY:

$200: 1975 (from the creators of "Bohemian Rhapsody"): Killer (BLANK)

$400: 1992 (by the Spin Doctors): Two (BLANK)s

$800: 1997 (by Metallica): (BLANK) Nothing

$1000: 1980 (by Black Sabbath): Neon (BLANK)s

Comments, anyone?
Maybe 1976 (by Stevie Wonder): Sir (BLANK)?
Not with "____ of Earl" having already shown up in the category.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Kate blew the game by not knowing the correct name of what was once 3/4 of Canada. But she knew the postal abbreviation or at least the capital of Saskatchewan.

I, of course, knew the correct name. But what would have happened had she answered simply NWT. Judges?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

floridagator wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:17 am Kate blew the game by not knowing the correct name of what was once 3/4 of Canada. But she knew the postal abbreviation or at least the capital of Saskatchewan.

I, of course, knew the correct name. But what would have happened had she answered simply NWT. Judges?
i have taken many online geography quizzes before and have never seen where that was allowed as an abbreviation....if i were to have a say, i'd say no
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:50 am
floridagator wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:17 am Kate blew the game by not knowing the correct name of what was once 3/4 of Canada. But she knew the postal abbreviation or at least the capital of Saskatchewan.

i have taken many online geography quizzes before and have never seen where that was allowed as an abbreviation....if i were to have a say, i'd say no
just checked the jetpunk canadian provinces and territories quizzes and nwt is not acceptable...do canadians ever say nwt?
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

For our J! historians: the leader at the end of the J! round had $1600. How does this rank all time?

The weekly poll ought to have a box for "I would have won this game from the 4th podium".
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 30,6800
43 R/2 W
DD: 1/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: PGA Championship, (Tony) Lama, Lanai, Moet et Chandon, McCulloch, George III (DD), James Baldwin, New York Yankees

Like several others here, I was annoyed to see my strongest categories ignored. I can see skipping out on Baseball Managers, but the Song category looked accessible even for folks who aren't pop music aficionados.

We'll never know, but it would have been interesting had both "(Killer) Queen" and "Moet et Chandon" been correct responses in the same game. (For those not familiar, the song's first lines are "She keeps her Moet et Chandon in her pretty cabinet / 'Let them eat cake,' she says, just like Marie Antoinette".)
Sprinkles are for winners.
yclept

Post by yclept »

1. I wish Jeopardy would release the unread clues. We rarely get baseball categories on this show and most of the contestants stay away from them. I knew I was in trouble the moment they avoided the category while standing at their podiums and staring at most of the clues in the other categories. Very annoying;
2. I guess one decent thing to come out of this game is that being aggressive and missing a DD doesn’t doom your game, though opponent quality plays a role there. One can easily question why, since he didn’t have a firm grip on the category, he would go all-in during a game like this, though;
3. One of the least enjoyable games in a long while. On Deal or No Deal, they wouldn’t air shows where the contestant was super unlucky in their briefcase picking. If only Jeopardy had a similar thing in place. They could have just skipped to the current champ’s 4th game.
4. Yes, I am bitter that my favorite topic was barely touched. STUDY SPORTS! You will make a killing when you go up against contestants who know about as much about sports as Rosie Perez’ character in White Men Can’t Jump.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Dust Bowl came to mind first on FJ, but circled through panhandle, midwest and Bible Belt to check my work. Counting Kate's overturned Northwest Territories ruling, count me among the winner from the 4th podium crowd (albeit barely).
yclept wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:36 am One can easily question why, since he didn’t have a firm grip on the category, he would go all-in during a game like this, though;
Kevin stated on Reddit that he has a English lit PhD.

I liked the move in all honesty; you either put the game away now in what I assume is his best category out of those six, or, because he has been the best on the buzzer in each of his three games and his opponents were struggling too, have confidence that you can re-earn that 4k-5k if you miss.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Or maybe she just misspoke or had a brain fart. Clearly she knew it; she just didn't know it accurately enough. Maybe someday you won't be so harsh on people and contestants will come here to tell us about their experience.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

alietr wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:39 am

Or maybe she just misspoke or had a brain fart. Clearly she knew it; she just didn't know it accurately enough. Maybe someday you won't be so harsh on people and contestants will come here to tell us about their experience.
I agree. Being on stage is hard, distracting, and stressful. Even from the comfort of my own living room, I was thrown for a loop by the clue's use of the singular "territory" and nearly got the same neg, despite knowing Canadian geography like the back of my hand.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Hit on Dust Bowl immediately but as others also mentioned, I associate that more with an event than a region. I went with Tornado Alley and for a brief time found myself quite smug for avoiding the negbait...
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

alietr wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:39 amOr maybe she just misspoke or had a brain fart. Clearly she knew it; she just didn't know it accurately enough. Maybe someday you won't be so harsh on people and contestants will come here to tell us about their experience.
Hear, hear!
--Peter
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

yclept wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:36 am 1. I wish Jeopardy would release the unread clues. We rarely get baseball categories on this show and most of the contestants stay away from them. I knew I was in trouble the moment they avoided the category while standing at their podiums and staring at most of the clues in the other categories. Very annoying;
IIRC unused or barely used categories are sometimes brought back. A few years ago there was a Ballplayers in Uniform category from which only one clue was selected, and it came back the next year with that one clue replaced, but presumably the others all the same. Of course for that one the writers had made a special effort to find pictures and probably did not want their good work to go to waste; for a more generic category like this one they might just let it be forgotten.
yclept wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:36 am 3. One of the least enjoyable games in a long while. On Deal or No Deal, they wouldn’t air shows where the contestant was super unlucky in their briefcase picking. If only Jeopardy had a similar thing in place. They could have just skipped to the current champ’s 4th game.
No one was horribly in the red (or in the red at all); no one made an embarrassment of him/herself. It was just mediocre. If I were one of the three I would certainly want this game to have been aired and give me my brief moment of fame that I made the show at all.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

yclept wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:36 am 1. I wish Jeopardy would release the unread clues. We rarely get baseball categories on this show and most of the contestants stay away from them. I knew I was in trouble the moment they avoided the category while standing at their podiums and staring at most of the clues in the other categories. Very annoying;
2. I guess one decent thing to come out of this game is that being aggressive and missing a DD doesn’t doom your game, though opponent quality plays a role there. One can easily question why, since he didn’t have a firm grip on the category, he would go all-in during a game like this, though;
3. One of the least enjoyable games in a long while. On Deal or No Deal, they wouldn’t air shows where the contestant was super unlucky in their briefcase picking. If only Jeopardy had a similar thing in place. They could have just skipped to the current champ’s 4th game.
4. Yes, I am bitter that my favorite topic was barely touched. STUDY SPORTS! You will make a killing when you go up against contestants who know about as much about sports as Rosie Perez’ character in White Men Can’t Jump.
1) I could swear that they had a category for Triple Stumpers way, way, way back in the pre-Internet era. It would only make sense that unused clues be recycled, too. Maybe that's what "Potpourri" and "Hodgepodge" categories do? I imagine the writers work hard researching, phrasing, and testing clues (even if they get it wrong sometimes), so this can cut their work a little. The new Holtzhauer Method probably makes this harder, since I would guess the $400 clues are probably easier to write than the $2000 ones.

3) Is this true? I'm not sure it is, or at least it's not a hard-and-fast rule. In the new DoND on CNBC, they typically have one contestant per show, but they have done some 3-contestants-over-2-shows when they speed up shows due to lack of suspense with low stakes cases remaining. And I know they had a few shows in the original run where they had a contestant eliminate most of the big prizes when they got down to 8 or 9 cases. The show just speeds up in that case. (Side note: DoND provides a nice contrast to Let's Make a Deal in the famous Monty Hall problem - in DoND, contestants have no knowledge of where the big prize is. In LMaD, the host always reveals one of the two zonks. That's why you switch in LMaD, but there's no advantage to switching in DoND.)

4) I'm not a sports fanatic outside of hockey, but I know most modern "big players" from other sports, and some of the great ones from years past (Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, etc.), but that Huggins/1927 Yankees clue had me stumped. I'd never heard of Miller Huggins, but it seems he was a manager for almost two decades. And I didn't know the 1927 clue by the year, although I guess that's on me, since the 1927 Yankees are apparently widely known as the grea...sorry, can't say it, I'm from Boston.

I did miss not seeing the Song Royalty category revealed. Seriously, folks, that's EASY money. You literally just have to know the song title.

Ironically, yesterday I had to drive my parents to an appointment in Concord, and we passed by Sleepy Hollow Cemetery. My mom, ever the English teacher, mentioned Emerson, Thoureau, and Alcott were buried there. I already had the $400 in Coryat, but...a little bit spooky when J! is predicted from your day.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

It wasn't pretty, but a win is a win. I have to agree with Kevin's all-in wager on the last DD. He was only risking $4400, with the leader at 4600 and 2-3 times that still available in the bottom two rows on the board. You've got to go with the odds even when the game has been rough.

Like others, I had the right FJ response very quickly, then tried to come up with alternates. The best wrong answers I could think of were Rust Belt and Bible Belt. So I stuck with my first thought.

I would like to have seen more of the songs category. With the vocabulary of correct responses probably pretty limited, it could have been quite accessible.

My contributions to the list of unrevealed clues (which might be stretching the category a bit):

His Purple Rain album quickly went to no. 1 on the charts in 1984

Their song, We are the Champions, is a staple for playoff winners
--Peter
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:29 am (Side note: DoND provides a nice contrast to Let's Make a Deal in the famous Monty Hall problem - in DoND, contestants have no knowledge of where the big prize is. In LMaD, the host always reveals one of the two zonks. That's why you switch in LMaD, but there's no advantage to switching in DoND.)
They removed that option in the new version.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:29 am
1) I could swear that they had a category for Triple Stumpers way, way, way back in the pre-Internet era. It would only make sense that unused clues be recycled, too. Maybe that's what "Potpourri" and "Hodgepodge" categories do? I imagine the writers work hard researching, phrasing, and testing clues (even if they get it wrong sometimes), so this can cut their work a little. The new Holtzhauer Method probably makes this harder, since I would guess the $400 clues are probably easier to write than the $2000 ones.

3) Is this true? I'm not sure it is, or at least it's not a hard-and-fast rule. In the new DoND on CNBC, they typically have one contestant per show, but they have done some 3-contestants-over-2-shows when they speed up shows due to lack of suspense with low stakes cases remaining. And I know they had a few shows in the original run where they had a contestant eliminate most of the big prizes when they got down to 8 or 9 cases. The show just speeds up in that case. (Side note: DoND provides a nice contrast to Let's Make a Deal in the famous Monty Hall problem - in DoND, contestants have no knowledge of where the big prize is. In LMaD, the host always reveals one of the two zonks. That's why you switch in LMaD, but there's no advantage to switching in DoND.)

4) I'm not a sports fanatic outside of hockey, but I know most modern "big players" from other sports, and some of the great ones from years past (Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, etc.), but that Huggins/1927 Yankees clue had me stumped. I'd never heard of Miller Huggins, but it seems he was a manager for almost two decades. And I didn't know the 1927 clue by the year, although I guess that's on me, since the 1927 Yankees are apparently widely known as the grea...sorry, can't say it, I'm from Boston.

I did miss not seeing the Song Royalty category revealed. Seriously, folks, that's EASY money. You literally just have to know the song title.

Ironically, yesterday I had to drive my parents to an appointment in Concord, and we passed by Sleepy Hollow Cemetery. My mom, ever the English teacher, mentioned Emerson, Thoureau, and Alcott were buried there. I already had the $400 in Coryat, but...a little bit spooky when J! is predicted from your day.
i had never heard of him either...but "greatest team" and baseball gets a pavlov of yankees...not sure how none of the contestants got it