Thursday, October 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mahatma
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 543
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:52 pm

Re: Thursday, October 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mahatma » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:50 pm

A bad game is nice once in a while, just for the pleasure of seeing Disdainful Alex unleashed.

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Sharp As A Tack
Posts: 1071
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Thursday, October 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:19 pm

49 R (Missed The One Clue in Song Royalty and Nobility and Fun Facts $2000(Said Perignon.).)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Detail, PGA Championship, Hearing, *Northwest Territories*, Lama, Lanai, Pulsar, Rifling, James McCullough, (George III), (Herman Wouk), James Baldwin, New York Yankees
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 128.9k games
Alpaca Farm: 1298 quizzes

Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist
Posts: 1142
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Thursday, October 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Ironhorse » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:31 pm

A couple years ago, the show released several unused clues from a Twilight Zone category onto the website because it was too niche to accommodate their normal practice of recycling unused clues. So it is likely we will eventually see the rest of the category.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

MDCSWildcats86
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:57 am

Re: Thursday, October 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MDCSWildcats86 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:46 pm

yclept wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:36 am
1. I wish Jeopardy would release the unread clue.

Usually, they save them for later in the season.

Example: Some years back, there was an unplayed category called BIBLICAL BOOKBINDERS. It reappeared some six/seven months later, and it was like WOF's B&A, except they did not tell you what linked "B" to "A" (i.e. HEY_____LAW Correct Q: Who is Jude?)

brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 780
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 2:03 pm

Re: Thursday, October 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by brick » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:28 pm

They have resurrected the Lānaʻi, lanai error from last year. Ugh.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8099
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Thursday, October 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:13 pm

brick wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:28 pm
They have resurrected the Lānaʻi, lanai error from last year. Ugh.
They just said it sounds like. That seems to be fine.

brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 780
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 2:03 pm

Re: Thursday, October 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by brick » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:18 pm

X
Last edited by brick on Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 780
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 2:03 pm

Re: Thursday, October 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by brick » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:21 pm

econgator wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:13 pm
brick wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:28 pm
They have resurrected the Lānaʻi, lanai error from last year. Ugh.
They just said it sounds like. That seems to be fine.
It doesn’t though. Less than rose and rosé. Lānaʻi has one more syllable.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6241
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Thursday, October 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:21 pm

brick wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:21 pm
econgator wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:13 pm
brick wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:28 pm
They have resurrected the Lānaʻi, lanai error from last year. Ugh.
They just said it sounds like. That seems to be fine.
It doesn’t though. Less than rose and rosé. Lānaʻi has one more syllable.
"Sounds like" covers a lot of ground. The word and the place have the same (English) vowels and consonants, pronounced in the same order.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 7679
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Thursday, October 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:30 pm

seaborgium wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:21 pm
"Sounds like" covers a lot of ground.
Which is why it should never be used as a TOM for anything.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

cthulhu
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:29 am

Re: Thursday, October 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by cthulhu » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:18 pm

Hugo Z wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:55 pm
Doesn't get much more specific than Oklahoma in 1936...
A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing though; I know that area of the US pretty well, so I hesitated between “Dust Bowl” and “Bible Belt”, especially considering that Durant is half the state away from the Dust Bowl area. Eventually came back to Dust Bowl though - TPTB are tricky, but usually not quite that tricky.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8099
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Thursday, October 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:35 pm

cthulhu wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:18 pm
Hugo Z wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:55 pm
Doesn't get much more specific than Oklahoma in 1936...
A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing though; I know that area of the US pretty well, so I hesitated between “Dust Bowl” and “Bible Belt”, especially considering that Durant is half the state away from the Dust Bowl area. Eventually came back to Dust Bowl though - TPTB are tricky, but usually not quite that tricky.
I never really considered OK as part of the Bible Belt, but it certainly is. Good thing I didn't think of it.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3427
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Thursday, October 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:42 pm

Bible Belt was my pretty confident response. At about :20, it occurred to me, Wouldn't they have called the phrase 'alliterative'? Then the significance of OK over just region kicked in. I had trouble bringing up the correct phrase, and by the time I did, no time to change... :( :( Mencken came up with Bible Belt in the '20s, so not too far off...

cthulhu
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:29 am

Re: Thursday, October 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by cthulhu » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:04 pm

davey wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:42 pm
Bible Belt was my pretty confident response. At about :20, it occurred to me, Wouldn't they have called the phrase 'alliterative'? Then the significance of OK over just region kicked in. I had trouble bringing up the correct phrase, and by the time I did, no time to change... :( :( Mencken came up with Bible Belt in the '20s, so not too far off...
I’ve seen plenty of Oklahoma billboards proclaiming the state to be the “Buckle of the Bible Belt”, hence my initial thoughts about that instead of the correct answer.

Did not know it was a Menckenism; thanks!

Post Reply