Monday, October 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, October 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, October 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OBSERVANCES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Washington made the very first Presidential proclamation in response to a request for “a day of public” this

Kara Skinner: 5200+5200=10400
Ben Hamman: 8200-7001=1199
Jessica Garsed: 15200-2600=12600 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Thanksgiving (Ben – service) (Jessica – mourning)

Daily Doubles
Ben: 800-1000
Ben: 600+2000
[DD3 not found]

Coryats
Kara: 5200
Ben: 8400
Jessica: 15200

Combined: 28,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Kara: 2800
Ben: minus 200
Jessica: 4800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Six clues unplayed including DD3 left hidden. Not good.

Kara had the pick with four clues left in the DJ! round. She went $800 in THE NATIONAL RECORDING REGISTRY while the last DD was very likely in ESSAYS $800. I would consider those categories equal for possibly having the DD so it's just bad luck Kara picked the wrong $800 clue.

With the sole solve in the FJ! round it could be that Kara is playing tomorrow if she had picked the other $800 clue. Sometimes it can be one little thing that decides a match.

Kara and Ben each had some time in the red while Jessica stayed more calm to almost lead wire to wire.

Alex did not have his best game and even with a few slip-ups he's still amazing at running the show for so many years.

The FJ! clue was another brow wiper for me as I was stumped and only had "remembrance" on my paper to avoid a blank sheet. I had just enough time to try a desperate brainstorm of important things in each month to hit luckily hit upon the "of course" moment to make the needed switch.

My near "remembrance" and "service" & "mourning" by the players shows how wide open the incorrect portfolio could be for this clue.
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

Chalk me up with an answer for “remembrance” as a proto-Memorial Day thing for maybe remembering the tenth anniversary of the end of the Revolutionary War or something.

When was the last time a daily double wasn’t found?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bigdogstalfos wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:38 am Chalk me up with an answer for “remembrance” as a proto-Memorial Day thing for maybe remembering the tenth anniversary of the end of the Revolutionary War or something.

When was the last time a daily double wasn’t found?
Scroll down to Andy's Thoughts: https://thejeopardyfan.com/2019/10/fina ... -2019.html

March 28, 2018 for DD not found
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

I said "mourning" for lack of anything better as time was running out. I didn't start down the right road -
Spoiler
ticking off the names of public holidays
- until it was too late. D'oh.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I knew this one cold from all the web sites that review the origins of Thanksgiving (they all mention it, with that exact "day of publicl..." quote; the modern annual national holiday didn't come into being until FDR). See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_ ... oclamation

The first mention of Washington with Thanksgiving came as early as J! game #10.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:53 pm I knew this one cold from all the web sites that review the origins of Thanksgiving (they all mention it, with that exact "day of publicl..." quote; the modern annual national holiday didn't come into being until FDR). See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_ ... oclamation

The first mention of Washington with Thanksgiving came as early as J! game #10.
A later mention, from this game: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=934

was fun to revisit with the clues and images.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

For some reason I was very neg-happy today. I had 4W at the first break, two of which were Ranks & Titles. Luckily I made up for it by running Video Games and Anagrams.

Places of Business for $400 seemed poorly pinned. I went with "Exercise" and took the neg because that seemed too generic.

How the hell did I fail to pavlov President = Illinois = Lincoln?!

Strangely, "Swamp Fox" was the only thing I recognized or got right in American Revolution.

I love how in DJ! they kept picking literally every clue but the one that still had the DD in it.

Thanksgiving came to mind first, but I dismissed it since I thought Lincoln was the one who declared Thanksgiving. I just had nothing else except absolute certainty that "Thanksgiving" was wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

Lach Trash: Clyde, bail, "Soul Man"
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Lach Trash: Clyde, bail, "Soul Man"
Good job.
The National Recording category was pretty easy but the minute they had a stand and stare on that Sam & Dave clue, it scared the hell out of them, so I knew we wouldn't get to see all the clues. :x
On the last $800 clue, I thought it was supposed to be Sesame Street, so it surprised me when Jessica was ruled correct. I thought Schoolhouse Rock was a Jack Black movie from 2004 or something.

I Should have known Clyde but it's been over 30 years since I last played Pac Man.

I was yelling "Use some Common Sense" at the TV before Ben finally came up with it.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

My first thought was "remembrance," but I figured that wasn't going to be it since we don't have a Remembrance Day. "Memorial" didn't make sense in the phrase "national day of _____," and moments after I dismissed it I came up with "thanksgiving" and decided that worked perfectly.

I usually feel bad for contestants in third place who have a sole get on FJ but are too far behind to eke out a win, but I'm okay with this outcome. Kara got to be a champ, and Jessica was the most deserving (in the context of the gameplay at large) of the win.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Category 13 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:46 pmI thought Schoolhouse Rock was a Jack Black movie from 2004 or something.
I think you've made a lot of people on this board feel very old.

For those, like you, who are unaware of the existence of these 1970s educational shorts (which ran, off and on, on the ABC network on Saturday mornings into the 2000s):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8H3WzRgVTQ
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

trainman wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:05 pm
Category 13 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:46 pmI thought Schoolhouse Rock was a Jack Black movie from 2004 or something.
I think you've made a lot of people on this board feel very old.

For those, like you, who are unaware of the existence of these 1970s educational shorts (which ran, off and on, on the ABC network on Saturday mornings into the 2000s):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8H3WzRgVTQ
i am a geezer and i am unfamiliar with the school of rock tv shorts...they don't ring a bell and i watched a lot of saturday morning cartoons on abc
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I heard the n on Alaska and expected a reversal but not an immediate one.

The new champ pulled a Homer. If she had bet correctly, she wouldn't be the new champ.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Note to self: Be careful of plurals! I said out loud "Schoolhouse Rocks", but quickly said "Rock" afterwards. I knew it cold, and got too excited humming "conjunction junction" to myself.

Yes, I'm the one who yelled "Pinky, not dinky!" at the TV screen for the Pac-Man clue. I had to take a beat to get to "Clyde", because I had to go through "Sue" - I knew Sue was the fourth ghost in either Pac-Man or Ms. Pac-Man, and quickly moved Sue into the "girl game" category, and got to Clyde. Good on Alex for correcting that - honestly, he's still doing a good job, and I hope he hosts as long as he feels like hosting.

Tough game overall for me. The DJ! wordplay with "out" just didn't click with me - normally those categories are gimmies for me, as is science, which I also did subpar.

And I'm going to start to ALWAYS write down my precalls. I was going to write down all the national holidays during the break, but just said "forget it, I can wing it during the 30 seconds", and skipped ahead on the DVR. I got stuck on mourning, with "celebration" as a backup...like July 4, perhaps?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So apparently the Tetris names came from a hoax propagated on Twitter. I submitted an erratum.

http://www.8-bitcentral.com/blog/2019/t ... Names.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments ... nge_ricky/
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:56 pm So apparently the Tetris names came from a hoax propagated on Twitter. I submitted an erratum.

That's awesome! Something seemed "off" with that clue. At least "7 blocks" and "rotatable" is a big red arrow pointing to Tetris...but those names didn't seem right. I swear I've seen official manuals call them "S, L, T, I, O" and "reverse-S, reverse-L".
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:52 pm The new champ pulled a Homer. If she had bet correctly, she wouldn't be the new champ.
She overwagered and missed. Either you're confused, or you think $13,999 would have lost her the game that $12,600 won for her (which I'd also consider confusion, but not the sort I was alluding to at the beginning of the sentence).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:56 pm So apparently the Tetris names came from a hoax propagated on Twitter. I submitted an erratum.

That reminds me of the time J! had a clue of "Walter Matuschanskayasky" in a category ostensibly about celebrities' real names. http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1049 When I learned that Walter Matthau made it up for his cameo credit in Earthquake, I went to the Archive with the intent of submitting an erratum, but given that the category was merely BETTER KNOWN AS..., that the clue consisted only of the fake name, and that Matthau was credited under that name in a movie, one can't definitively say J! was duped in that case.