Wednesday, October 9, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, October 9, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
Hit 1980s ALBUMS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This American singer-songwriter briefly landed on the U.N.’s apartheid blacklist for his 1986 multi-platinum album

Jessica Garsed: 9800+9799=19599 (3x = $52,199)
Emily Shaw: 16300-8000=8300
Steven Reich: 7600+7053=14653

Correct response:
Spoiler
Paul Simon (Emily – Springsteen)

Daily Doubles
Emily: 2000+1500
Emily: 6900+3000
Steven: 9000-5000

Coryats
Jessica: 9800
Emily: 14400
Steven: 12600

Combined: 36,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jessica: 1000
Emily: 6100
Steven: 5800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Another score change for Alex to handle when Jessica did not give the expected response in Kiwi $600 and got $1200 back after the first segment, though before DD1.

Very strange to hear Alex have to read those movie quotes in a bland voice as required by the category, without trying any imitations. Between that and the CLASSIC TELEVISION my Coryat was happy with the 10/10.

My precalls off the FJ! category all missed the target other than having Emily's Springsteen in the mix. I was ready for Michael Jackson, movie soundtracks and even Journey.

The clue had me taking a few seconds to figure out the album/artist though once I got there I was pretty sure I was right. During the rest of think time I worried that one of the players might have some kind of guess that was embarrassing for both the contestant and show. Fortunately, a Springsteen miss is not terrible. Only wrong.

Jessica has won 3 games without finding a DD, so I expect her to find one tomorrow win or lose.

Still no 3/3 sweep in the FJ! round yet this season, plus longer going back to last season.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I skipped over all the spoiler info, and won't know more until tomorrow, since J! is delayed for me due to the Patriots game, but I do like to check on the FJ! wagering, so...

Am I just not seeing something, or was the leader's FJ! wagering really, really bad? If you're the leader and not in a tourney, there's never a reason to bet more than max(2L - W + 1, W - 2L - 1), where W is your score and L is second place. I mean, unless you're People's Sexiest Man Alive in 1995, and the category is "PEOPLE'S SEXIEST MAN OF THE ALIVE IN 1995", and maybe you want to maximize your winnings.

Strictly speaking, it's not Clavin's Rule, but...it's fairly close, no? Again, haven't watched the show, judged the skill of the contestant, or seen the category. But as a rule of thumb, 50% of all FJ! responses are correct - I imagine it's higher from the champ podium and from the leader's podium, but not high enough that you should be wagering a lot even if you're just playing FJ! solo. Topics can be tricky - I like movies, but OSCARS would strike fear in my heart.

I hate dumping on contestants - and, when all is said and done, considering they've been able to do something that I haven't been able to do, bravo to them. And the stage fright can be real. But spending 30 minutes the night before your J! taping to run over some basic arithmetic problems in old game situations from the J! Archive so that it's almost a reflex can help prevent these "interesting" wagers.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Springsteen was a sort-of reasonable guess, but he didn't release an album in 1986, and the ones he did release in that era (Born in the USA and Tunnel of Love) had no controversies attached to them.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:36 am I skipped over all the spoiler info, and won't know more until tomorrow, since J! is delayed for me due to the Patriots game, but I do like to check on the FJ! wagering, so...

Am I just not seeing something, or was the leader's FJ! wagering really, really bad? If you're the leader and not in a tourney, there's never a reason to bet more than max(2L - W + 1, W - 2L - 1), where W is your score and L is second place. I mean, unless you're People's Sexiest Man Alive in 1995, and the category is "PEOPLE'S SEXIEST MAN OF THE ALIVE IN 1995", and maybe you want to maximize your winnings.

Strictly speaking, it's not Clavin's Rule, but...it's fairly close, no? Again, haven't watched the show, judged the skill of the contestant, or seen the category. But as a rule of thumb, 50% of all FJ! responses are correct - I imagine it's higher from the champ podium and from the leader's podium, but not high enough that you should be wagering a lot even if you're just playing FJ! solo. Topics can be tricky - I like movies, but OSCARS would strike fear in my heart.

I hate dumping on contestants - and, when all is said and done, considering they've been able to do something that I haven't been able to do, bravo to them. And the stage fright can be real. But spending 30 minutes the night before your J! taping to run over some basic arithmetic problems in old game situations from the J! Archive so that it's almost a reflex can help prevent these "interesting" wagers.
For the FJ! round wagering:

Emily 16300
Jessica 9800
Steven 7600

Emily better wager at least 3300 to cover the possibility of Jessica getting to 19600.
If Emily misses then falls to 13000 which Jessica and/or Steven can both reach on a get.

If Jessica bets to cover Steven's possible 15200 then that is 5400. On a miss then Jessica is at 4400.

Emily's drop to 8300 kept her well above it. If Steven had bet zero then Emily is above that as well.

If the clue had been a triple miss then Emily still wins. If the clue had been a triple hit then Emily has more than 19601.

The 8000 by Emily is not typical and when it comes to J! wagering the amounts can often be all over the place. As to the why for betting more than 3301? Perhaps she will post on Reddit. The category is a specific kind that could instill extra confidence or extra fear for a player as I would not consider that one neutral. My needle was pointing towards 80% green for good while I can see someone else in dark red for fear below 20% on a category gauge.

You may not like Emily's wager and that is fine while in this case I would not go adjective adjective bad on it. Even if Emily had bet the 3301 she still doubly loses with both opponents getting it and wagering big.

DD2 is another area to revisit for Emily's game as she left 3900 on the table that would have come in handy at the end.

Steven can revisit DD3 not for the wager, as he would have led on a get, for the miss itself. It can't be easy to sort through all those Mars things in limited seconds and match it to the appropriate word/phrase origin material that clues often use.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Another FJ miss for me. :( Rough week so far. Never heard the backstory that would have led me to the solve.

Hoping Thursday and Friday will be more like "Capitals of Former Soviet Republics" or "Solve This Calculus Equation"...
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I guess the argument could be made - and rightly so - that if she thinks both of the other players are definitely going to get it based on the category, she might as well wager to maximize winnings for this game if she's able to get FJ! as well. I probably overvalue "just getting the win to get a little bit of money and coming back as a returning champ", to the detriment of "making a big dent in the J! budget with your single win". After all, you make as much money winning $30,000 in one show and losing the next as you do winning $15,000 in two shows and losing the third. And even getting a second win is tough - surely above 33%, but definitely far from a sure thing.

And, duly noted, the amount of Emily's wager turned out to be irrelevant - the only thing that mattered was Emily's response.
mechamind
Contributor

Post by mechamind »

That still only gives her an excuse to bet up to $6,499 so she can win on a triple stumper. Anything more than $6,500 would allow the 2nd place contestant to win with a $0 wager.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Had Stevie Wonder as a guess for FJ! based on a deep cut of his called "It's Wrong! (Apartheid)", which closes the same album that "Part Time Lover" was on.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:09 pm Had Stevie Wonder as a guess for FJ! based on a deep cut of his called "It's Wrong! (Apartheid)", which closes the same album that "Part Time Lover" was on.
Could make sense, depending on whether a "blacklist" is a good or a bad thing to be on.
I'm smart and I want respect.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lost the rugby/soccer coinflip on Kiwi for $400. That seemed like negbait.

I thought Auckland was the easiest in Kiwi, but that may be because I was precalling it in Not the Capital.

4/5 in Flex, "OK", and Numberw, missing hyperextended (said "over-" instead), "woke" (NHOI), and whatever $1,000 was in Number.

Bombed "Not the Capital" after clamming on Sydney.

I precalled "This is Sparta!" in Shouted Movie Quotes. Didn't recognize the Stella quote.

All but "Starsky & Hutch" in Classic TV.

Roadgeek me got only 2/5 in Lesser Known Names.

UN apartheid blacklist -> uhhhhh......... I got absolutely nothing. I didn't know Paul Simon HAD any solo albums, much less ones certified multi platinum. The title given rings not the faintest of bells for me.

Lach trash: A-frame, Hartford
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

'80s albums? More, please! Of course this was an instaget. 8-)
How is Sydney a TS? :o
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I'm not going to waste a poll request on it, but did most of you get The Member of the Wedding? I'd honestly never heard of it, but it has tons of Archive hits (albeit most back when the canon had a heavier focus on academic topics).
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:49 pm I'm not going to waste a poll request on it, but did most of you get The Member of the Wedding? I'd honestly never heard of it, but it has tons of Archive hits (albeit most back when the canon had a heavier focus on academic topics).
I fell for the same neg-bait as Emily. I think I had heard of Member of the Wedding at some point, but it wasn't exactly in the forefront of my memory.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:49 pm I'm not going to waste a poll request on it, but did most of you get The Member of the Wedding? I'd honestly never heard of it, but it has tons of Archive hits (albeit most back when the canon had a heavier focus on academic topics).
I happened to get it. There are two main Carson McCullers novels you need to know. I took the word "honeymoon" to be TOM for "The Member of the Wedding."
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:59 pm
I happened to get it. There are two main Carson McCullers novels you need to know. I took the word "honeymoon" to be TOM for "The Member of the Wedding."
Clam for me as I knew it was "the other one" whose name I would not recall without Chris Harrison giving me four options. Request or not I might poll it since it's a good one to know and well within the type I usually do for the extra clues.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:29 pm I precalled "This is Sparta!" in Shouted Movie Quotes. Didn't recognize the Stella quote.
I pre-called A Streetcar Named Desire. Recognized "This is Sparta". Ran the category. 8-)
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

It’s definitely Quiz Bowl knowledge for me. Your usual McCullers bonus includes it, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, and Ballad of the Sad Cafe.