Article about quiz show scandals - mentions Holzhauer

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Article about quiz show scandals - mentions Holzhauer

Post by floridagator »

Kind of a long piece, for those who already know the story of this scandal. The author alleges that Holzhauer broke the game.
https://www.theamericanconservative.com ... primetime/
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Article about quiz show scandals - mentions Holzhauer

Post by Woof »

floridagator wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:27 am Kind of a long piece, for those who already know the story of this scandal. The author alleges that Holzhauer broke the game.
Thanks for posting this. The author puts a fairly predictable spin on the story, but IMO misses one crucial distinction. He mentions the apparent contradiction between the supposed anti-intellectual bent of McCarthyism and the public adulation for the smart quiz show winners. This distinction pervades American history: as de Tocqueville noted, there has been a strain of anti-intellectualism in America since the founding of the Republic that continues to this day. Those people who cheered on McCarthy, Nixon and the other Red-baiters were not necessarily the same as those watching the quiz shows. In fact, apart from a very brief interlude in the mid-20th Century, Americans have always had a distrust of the well-educated.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

floridagator wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:27 am Kind of a long piece, for those who already know the story of this scandal. The author alleges that Holzhauer broke the game.
Thanks for the resource - I've not seen the movie and wasn't aware of some of the narrative. I'm not sure the scandal was that big a hit to our national psyche.

Not much connection to Holzhauer - it looks like just a throwaway clickbait comment on top of an otherwise decent essay.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
yclept

Post by yclept »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:15 pm
Thanks for the resource - I've not seen the movie and wasn't aware of some of the narrative. I'm not sure the scandal was that big a hit to our national psyche.

Not much connection to Holzhauer - it looks like just a throwaway clickbait comment on top of an otherwise decent essay.
Not any real connection at all - trying to say that James broke Jeopardy isn’t even proving to be true as Jason has been the only one to really attempt to play the game in a somewhat similar way since James left the show. Those who expected James clones have likely been disappointed as the game has become more standard again.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

you are right...i did ctrl f and typed in holzhauer to find the mentions and it was pretty much no link whatsoever...worthless article
davey

Post by davey »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:42 am

you are right...i did ctrl f and typed in holzhauer to find the mentions and it was pretty much no link whatsoever...worthless article
But hey...there's only one anti-Semitic rant in the comments underneath it...so considering the source, let's be grateful...
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

davey wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:20 am

But hey...there's only one anti-Semitic rant in the comments underneath it...so considering the source, let's be grateful...

are there generally anti-semitic remarks by the site or author?
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

The more interesting comment was the one that claimed that Herb Stempel auditioned for Jeopardy! in the 1990s. Has anyone ever heard a rumor of this before?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:35 pm

The author went out of his way to mention that Stempel was Jewish, didn’t see how that was relevant. Granted, I wasn’t alive then so maybe it was a bigger deal then.
shambolic

Post by shambolic »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:20 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:35 pm

The author went out of his way to mention that Stempel was Jewish, didn’t see how that was relevant. Granted, I wasn’t alive then so maybe it was a bigger deal then.

It's been a couple years since I saw Quiz Show, but at least in the movie, the anti-Semitism of the times was hinted at. Specifically, it was implied that the producers consciously crafted the narrative of a waspy guy like Van Doren taking down Stempel. So, unfortunately, his being Jewish wound up being relevant in the story for that reason.