Friday, October 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, October 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:34 pm

dhkendall wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:22 pm
ONE-WORD RHYMES $2000 wrote:To show off, especially in the main seating area of a sports venue
"Grandstand" is given, but how about "showboat"? It doesn't quite match the "main seating area" TOM, but there's precedent for a clue where it's correct despite being against the TOM. (I'm guessing it also doesn't quite fit as a rhyme, but it's also a lot closer to being an internal rhyme than most words.)
In addition to the objections you've noted, there's also the problem of "show" already in the clue...

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:39 pm

dhkendall wrote:
ONE-WORD RHYMES $2000 wrote:To show off, especially in the main seating area of a sports venue
"Grandstand" is given, but how about "showboat"? It doesn't quite match the "main seating area" TOM, but there's precedent for a clue where it's correct despite being against the TOM. (I'm guessing it also doesn't quite fit as a rhyme, but it's also a lot closer to being an internal rhyme than most words.)
If the word was "showtboat" you'd have a leg to grandstand on.

talkingaway
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by talkingaway » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:45 pm

dhkendall wrote:
The problem is that “showboat” isn’t part of a seating area in a sports venue. Unless showing boats is a sport I’m unaware of - and even then, you wouldn't sit IN the showboat.

It’s a triple pun clue - grandstand has that internal rhyme to fit the category. Plus it’s being a show-off. Plus it’s the seating area of baseball venues (in Fenway, behind the loge).

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:01 pm

talkingaway wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:45 pm
dhkendall wrote:
The problem is that “showboat” isn’t part of a seating area in a sports venue. Unless showing boats is a sport I’m unaware of - and even then, you wouldn't sit IN the showboat.

It’s a triple pun clue - grandstand has that internal rhyme to fit the category. Plus it’s being a show-off. Plus it’s the seating area of baseball venues (in Fenway, behind the loge).
dhkendall's point is that the clue doesn't say that the correct response is also a term for the main seating area of a sports venue. If there were another single word that rhymes with itself that meant to show off, it would fit the category and the clue, and the fact that it'd make the TOM a non sequitur would not be enough to count it as wrong. There have been occasions where an intended TOM was not directly tied to the intended response, a contestant gave an unintended response that fit everything but the TOM, and they eventually gave credit for it.

"Have some Reese's and enjoy this Spielberg film about aliens in America": a contestant responded, "What is Close Encounters of the Third Kind?", got negged, and later credited with a correct response. Even though E.T. is the only Spielberg film about aliens where any Reese's product shows up, that doesn't preclude a person from having them while watching a different one. Alex mentioned before the reversal that there was supposed to be a year in the clue to pin it. (I reworded the clue from the Teen Tournament category REALLY OLD MOVIES; it had some silly wording poking fun at the fact that these recent classics were released decades before they were born.)

"For the common man or not, it's a loud, musical flourish of trumpets": the contestant responded, "What is a tantara?" The idea of the clue was to call to mind the piece Fanfare for the Common Man, with "fanfare" being the desired response, but "tantara" could just as easily be defined as "a loud, musical flourish of trumpets," so they ultimately gave it to the contestant. Alex said "for the common man" should have been in quotation marks; I would have started with the definition, followed by a semicolon and "one was composed 'for the Common Man.'"

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:14 pm

hansenkd wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:00 am
Lindsey's collapse was the most tragic in recent memory. She had multi-day championship potential for sure. But she did it to herself. Whiffing late on an extremely easy DD was cringe worthy, and then she made a very ill advised FJ wager to cover a potential farm bet that was extremely unlikely to occur (given that Susan needed Lindsey to miss in order to win). Two huge mistakes leading to a very painful loss after a dominant performance. No wonder she looked devastated and wanted to get out of there.
You seem not to recognize the concept of the leader making a basic cover wager for FJ, which is exactly what Lindsey did -- and which is the usual recommended wager in that situation because you don't have to watch very many episodes of J! (or read very many recap threads on this board) to know that a 2nd-place player in Susan's position is, in fact, highly likely to make the suicidal all-in wager. Calling Lindsey's FJ wager "very ill advised" or a "huge mistake[]" is unequivocally wrong.

And as others have pointed out, you should avoid the arrogance of assuming that just because you've known a particular fact since whatever grade, that makes a DD asking for that fact "extremely easy" to the point that a contestant responding incorrectly to it is "cringe worthy."

Finally, calling Lindsey's loss a "collapse," let alone "the most tragic in recent memory," is melodramatic hyperbole.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

Golf

Post by Golf » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:38 pm

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:34 pm
I would definitely put Lindsey Berns, along with Kaya Chua, Rene Bender, Becca Arm, Julia Kite, Kerri Griffith, Kim Taylor, and E. A. Srere as one of the best female J! non-winners.
E.A. Srere was a trivia teammate of mine for several years, both a great trivia player and person. She is very matter of fact, a trait that is very helpful on the Jeopardy stage.

Another female teammate, someone I coached, also had the knowledge base and attitude to win multiple games. But she just couldn't get the hang of the buzzer and was forced to make a big DD wager (one of the biggest that season) in the endgame. She blanked (as I tried to send her the answer via ESP from the audience) and that was that.

That being said, there is no way to accurately judge any player after one game. I get a kick out of the many here that use the term superchampion and the like after one game. But it will continue.

Are we "due" for a female superchampion? Who gives a crap? Just give me good players regardless of gender.

CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:45 pm

Golf wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:38 pm
I would definitely put Lindsey Berns, along with Kaya Chua, Rene Bender, Becca Arm, Julia Kite, Kerri Griffith, Kim Taylor, and E. A. Srere as one of the best female J! non-winners.
E.A. Srere was a trivia teammate of mine for several years, both a great trivia player and person. She is very matter of fact, a trait that is very helpful on the Jeopardy stage.

Another female teammate, someone I coached, also had the knowledge base and attitude to win multiple games. But she just couldn't get the hang of the buzzer and was forced to make a big DD wager (one of the biggest that season) in the endgame. She blanked (as I tried to send her the answer via ESP from the audience) and that was that.

That being said, there is no way to accurately judge any player after one game. I get a kick out of the many here that use the term superchampion and the like after one game. But it will continue.

Are we "due" for a female superchampion? Who gives a crap? Just give me good players regardless of gender.
doesn't female correspond with sex rather than gender?

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:20 pm

CasketRomance wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:45 pm
Golf wrote:

no

CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:28 pm

seaborgium wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:20 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:45 pm
Golf wrote:

no
when did that change? was still that way in the early 2000s when i received my master's degree