Friday, October 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players
Posts: 3955
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:04 pm
Contact:

Friday, October 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:48 am

J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players
Posts: 3955
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday, October 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:48 am

DJ! Round

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 995
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:21 pm

Re: Friday, October 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by theFJguy » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:05 am

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE POSTCOLONIAL WORLD

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This African nation left the British Commonwealth in 2003 over sanctions on its undemocratic government; in 2018 it applied to rejoin

Daryn Firicano: 14200-10601=3599 (2x = $21,799)
Brian Lynch: 12400-10000=2400
Amanda Borowski: 10000-9998=2

Correct response:
Spoiler
Show
Zimbabwe (Daryn – South Africa) (Brian – Congo) (Amanda – eSwatini?)

Daily Doubles
Amanda: 600+400
Amanda: 11200-4000
Daryn: 9400+2000

Coryats
Daryn: 13400
Brian: 12400
Amanda: 14400

Combined: 40,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Daryn: 6200
Brian: 4800
Amanda: 4800

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 9809
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Friday, October 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:06 am

If Alex is harsh on himself as reports say and hypercritical of his mistakes then today had another piece of evidence. Alex heard an "N" on Amanda's Girl Scout cookie response and negged her without clarification allowing Daryn to pick up a rebound that should not have been available. Amanda got the money back later while Daryn got to keep the gifted grand.

I'm not sure whether Amanda had eSwatini or eSwahini as her finishing scribble was unreadable. What she said also seem tough to distinguish and the closed captioning stopped working early in the game.

Note: Because of the CC failure I will delay working on archiving the game today.

For the FJ! clue it was unlikely a blindfolded dart throw was going to hit the mark. I wrote "Sou" and stopped to keep me away from Daryn's miss. I wrote Namibia to have something with English and crossed it out thinking that was probably off the list for possible FJ! responses as far as this clue went. To me Namibia would need the desert hint as previously used or be part of some kind of word play thing.

My final response was Nigeria in wanting to lock in something which had me sure about a British connection.

Of course it was going to be a miss as my good day through the first 59 clues was going to mean that last clue was trouble.

Brian needed to cover Amanda's possible 20,000, so 7601 would been the suggested wager. At that wager and a miss he would have been left with 4799 for a win today. I bet he didn't sleep well on taping night.

Amanda in third place with 10000 had options although 9998 is the TPiR game, "That's Too Much!" Daryn bet exactly what he needed to bet to cover Brian's potential 24800 and today it worked out for him to get the invite to return for another taping day.

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:15 am

Re: Friday, October 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mas3cf » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:54 am

Not quite an instaget FJ for me, but less than 5 seconds. Thought process was:
Spoiler
Show
1. African countries with undemocratic leadership (okay, there are lots of them, don't try to list them all)
2. One that had a long-term dictator who lost power in the last couple years? Mugabe - Zimbabwe. Colonial power = Britain (as Rhodesia), check.

Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1600
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Friday, October 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Leander » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:54 pm

mas3cf wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:54 am
Not quite an instaget FJ for me, but less than 5 seconds. Thought process was:
Spoiler
Show
1. African countries with undemocratic leadership (okay, there are lots of them, don't try to list them all)
2. One that had a long-term dictator who lost power in the last couple years? Mugabe - Zimbabwe. Colonial power = Britain (as Rhodesia), check.
I came to the same answer but started with step 2, it only troubled me because I thought they had probably been kicked out of the Commonwealth much earlier. But I couldn’t come up with a better guess.

MDCSWildcats86
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:57 am

Re: Friday, October 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MDCSWildcats86 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:32 pm

Blindly guessed Nigeria (were they even in the Commonwealth?)

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:15 am

Re: Friday, October 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mas3cf » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:02 pm

Just played through the game on J-Archive. I've been memorizing Best Picture winners, and that paid some pretty big dividends... ran the category, whereas just 2 weeks ago I would have been 1/5 (I could have figured out the $400 clue from other context). Studied "Rape of the Lock" recently, but couldn't pull the author, which was frustrating.

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws
Posts: 1186
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Friday, October 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:31 pm

The female challenger in today's episode is not to be confused with:
http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=11079
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 130.4k games
Alpaca Farm: 1338 quizzes

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8230
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Friday, October 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:30 pm

Not a clue. I guessed Sierra Leone.

User avatar
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2086
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:29 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Friday, October 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by xxaaaxx » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:35 pm

Leander wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:54 pm
mas3cf wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:54 am
Not quite an instaget FJ for me, but less than 5 seconds. Thought process was:
Spoiler
Show
1. African countries with undemocratic leadership (okay, there are lots of them, don't try to list them all)
2. One that had a long-term dictator who lost power in the last couple years? Mugabe - Zimbabwe. Colonial power = Britain (as Rhodesia), check.
I came to the same answer but started with step 2, it only troubled me because I thought they had probably been kicked out of the Commonwealth much earlier. But I couldn’t come up with a better guess.
Ditto. I wonder why it took so long for them to get kicked out.

The 2nd and 3rd place wagers...oy. Watching that made my teeth hurt. They'll never learn.

User avatar
cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1051
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:19 am
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Friday, October 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by cheezguyty » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:00 pm

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:31 pm
The female challenger in today's episode is not to be confused with:
http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=11079
The male challenger in today's episode is not to be confused with:
http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=4529

User avatar
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1250
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:39 am

Re: Friday, October 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by floridagator » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:03 pm

Was it twice contestants hit DDs as their first move into a category?

The way Amanda held the signaling device, no ring was visible on her left hand. I wonder if she's single.

I guessed Zimbabwe but was not overly confident. I think the former Anglo-Egyptian Sudan was part of the Commonwealth and surmised it might have been suspended before it split with South Sudan. But I was even less confident about that and stuck with Zimbabwe.
Last edited by floridagator on Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

Foretopman
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 313
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:22 pm
Location: Chicago area

Re: Friday, October 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Foretopman » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:04 pm

Go figure... The day after I get stumped on a clue that all three contestants (and, it seems, everybody else here) found easy, I get the right response on a triple stumper. :o

CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:57 am

Re: Friday, October 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:29 pm

Yuck, a victory below $5K SUCKS to see! (Though at least my man Daryn held on).

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:15 am

Re: Friday, October 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mas3cf » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:30 pm

Foretopman wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:04 pm
Go figure... The day after I get stumped on a clue that all three contestants (and, it seems, everybody else here) found easy, I get the right response on a triple stumper. :o
You and me both.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 9809
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Friday, October 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:46 pm

floridagator wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:03 pm
Was it twice contestants hit DDs as their first move into a category?

The way Amanda held the signaling device, no ring was visible on her left hand. I wonder if she's single.

I guessed Zimbabwe but was not overly confident. I think the former Anglo-Egyptian Sudan was part of the Commonwealth and surmised it might have been suspended before it split with South Sudan. But I was even less confident about that and stuck with Zimbabwe.
Yes-ish and no. Archive and Google are helpful as always. DD2 was Amanda's first call in Oscars although the category had been tasted previously.

User avatar
Category 13
Wagering Viking
Posts: 1582
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:43 pm
Location: This side of paradise

The fate of the opponent draw

Post by Category 13 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:44 pm

MarkBarrett wrote: Brian needed to cover Amanda's possible 20,000, so 7601 would been the suggested wager. At that wager and a miss he would have been left with 4799 for a win today. I bet he didn't sleep well on taping night.
Amanda in third place with 10000 had options although 9998 is the TPiR game, "That's Too Much!" Daryn bet exactly what he needed to bet to cover Brian's potential 24800 and today it worked out for him to get the invite to return for another taping day.
Can you imgine the anguish this is likely to cause Lindsey Bems, when she sees those wagers? :(

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1382
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:55 am

Re: Friday, October 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Johnblue » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:31 pm

I’m going to Zimbabwe next year and I seem to know a bit about Africa anyway. This was an instaget for me. Frustrating game to watch.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6379
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Friday, October 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:39 pm

All I really knew at first glance of FJ was that it couldn't be South Africa; beyond that I didn't have a good idea of where else English colonizers occupied Africa, but I kept close to the south, feeling for reasons I couldn't put my finger on that Zimbabwe was the way to go. After I locked it in and the music ended, I recalled that although Mugabe died this year, he was removed a little longer ago, and I felt pretty good about that. So ends my first 5/5 FJ week this season. There's nowhere to go but (across and) down now!

Post Reply