Monday, October 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Monday, October 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:50 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:28 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:04 pm While I did get the Lach Trash, I thought Lewis Carroll's real name was a bit YEKIOYD for the top box.
A lot of top box stuff is YEKIOYDBIYOJWAYD.
What does that even mean, dude?
you either know it or you're doing business in your orange juice world and you're daft.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 34,800
48 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: cartilage, Running on Empty, kettlebell, Lewis Carroll, John le Carré (DD), Samothrace, P90X

Tonight's FJ! wasn't as soft as Friday's, but it was pretty much a WECIB.

Embarrassing misses for me on Fossey/Goodall, even though I know full well that Fossey = gorillas (in the mist!) and Goodall = chimps, and Milky Way, where I thought of every other astronomically-named candy bar other than the one that is truly "galactic."
This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:17 pm
talkingaway wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:34 pm Speaking of rulings - just "Onassis" for "Aristotle Onassis", when they gave "Jackie" in the clue? Alex has "Which one?"-ed Teddy/Franklin Roosevelt, so why not a "Which Onassis?" on this?
I think it gets down to whether there'd be some way to confuse the two and I'm pretty sure most people realize that Jackie Onassis was not a Greek shipping magnate.
It's always seemed to me like there's an unwritten rule that last name alone isn't acceptable when the clue references another person of equal or greater fame who shares that last name. That rule wasn't followed in this instance, of course.
Sprinkles are for winners.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:05 am It's always seemed to me like there's an unwritten rule that last name alone isn't acceptable when the clue references another person of equal or greater fame who shares that last name. That rule wasn't followed in this instance, of course.
I don't consider Ari Onassis to be of equal or greater fame against Jacqueline Kennedy.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:12 am
CasketRomance wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:50 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:28 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:04 pm While I did get the Lach Trash, I thought Lewis Carroll's real name was a bit YEKIOYD for the top box.
A lot of top box stuff is YEKIOYDBIYOJWAYD.
What does that even mean, dude?
you either know it or you're doing business in your orange juice world and you're daft.
Amazing how people need the simplest things explained to them, isn't it?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:37 am I saw this ep a day late. I have no position on the jack-o-lantern clue. [/spoiler]
That's a weak stance, pumpkin
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:20 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:05 am It's always seemed to me like there's an unwritten rule that last name alone isn't acceptable when the clue references another person of equal or greater fame who shares that last name. That rule wasn't followed in this instance, of course.
I don't consider Ari Onassis to be of equal or greater fame against Jacqueline Kennedy.
That's my point; sorry if I wasn't clear. The clue referenced Jackie Onassis, who is at least as famous as Ari. In similar situations in past games, I seem to remember Alex requiring the contestant to provide the first name of the correct response (e.g., Ari) in order to show that he is not simply providing the obvious last name of the notable person mentioned in the clue (e.g., Jackie).
Sprinkles are for winners.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:27 pm
seaborgium wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:20 am
That's my point; sorry if I wasn't clear. The clue referenced Jackie Onassis, who is at least as famous as Ari. In similar situations in past games, I seem to remember Alex requiring the contestant to provide the first name of the correct response (e.g., Ari) in order to show that he is not simply providing the obvious last name of the notable person mentioned in the clue (e.g., Jackie).
And clearly I forgot who was in the clue and who was in the response! My new excuse for the writers is that Jackie isn't always referred to as Onassis.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:33 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:37 am I saw this ep a day late. I have no position on the jack-o-lantern clue. [/spoiler]
That's a weak stance, pumpkin
As we say around here: I didn't just fall off of the turnip truck 8-) . I plan to monetize both sides of the great pumpkin vs. jack-o-lantern controversy (british pronunciation con-TRA-ver-see)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

1. I was OK with pumpkin being negged.
2. I think Onassis needed a BMS. Everyone knows Jackie’s second husband’s last name. His first name should be required on a trivia contest. I doubt he would be known by many people today if he hadn’t married her.
3. I was actually talking about kettle bells yesterday with Bamaboy on the way to Bamasister-in-law’s house but still missed it.
4. For some dumb reason I said Golden Gate.