Wednesday, October 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Plactus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 579
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:33 pm

Re: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Plactus » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:50 am

Volante wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:42 pm
And Salt Lake City is negbait? Isn't the major/flagship university being in the capital the exception, not the rule? Madison, Austin...maybe three more?
Off the top of my head, Salt Lake City (University of Utah, not the private BYU), Lincoln, and if you count them, Columbus (Ohio State), Tallahassee (Florida State), and Baton Rouge (Louisiana State).
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?

User avatar
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits
Posts: 2400
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 am

Re: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by hbomb1947 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:53 am

morbeedo wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:59 pm
Lost all my money on ^*%(@*# Butte, Montana. Man, I hate this country ;)
I lost all my money on the "fire and brimstone" DD. :(
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2331
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:30 am

twelvefootboy wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:43 pm
I was floored by Fayetteville, Arkansas being the "Athens of the Ozarks", or whatever. That was a waste of TOM - they should've just said "Suburb of Wal-Mart" (HQ is in Bentonville, but all of Northwest Arkansas is the U of A or Wal-Mart related). I would take the under at 12% of residents ever heard that nickname.

Why should a College Towns category just ask for the capital of the State? Might as well just call it State Capitals.

The flamingo clue was a joke. You gotta stand in hip waders to finally ask for Beta-carotene?

No chance for me on FJ. Geography is a wheelhole category for me. I actually gridlocked trying to remember the old name of Mumbai because I felt it had a more Anglo name. I knew I couldn't wend through the African colonies.

Steve keeps rolling, he's been tested quite a bit.
i had never heard that before either and i lived there for 2.5 years while getting my master's degree...the only nickname i remember hearing was "fayettenam"
Last edited by CasketRomance on Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2331
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:36 am

twelvefootboy wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:43 pm
I was floored by Fayetteville, Arkansas being the "Athens of the Ozarks", or whatever. That was a waste of TOM - they should've just said "Suburb of Wal-Mart" (HQ is in Bentonville, but all of Northwest Arkansas is the U of A or Wal-Mart related). I would take the under at 12% of residents ever heard that nickname.

Why should a College Towns category just ask for the capital of the State? Might as well just call it State Capitals.

The flamingo clue was a joke. You gotta stand in hip waders to finally ask for Beta-carotene?

No chance for me on FJ. Geography is a wheelhole category for me. I actually gridlocked trying to remember the old name of Mumbai because I felt it had a more Anglo name. I knew I couldn't wend through the African colonies.

Steve keeps rolling, he's been tested quite a bit.
just did a search and i have found some results saying that it is no longer called "athens of the ozarks", and says it used to be called that...jeopardy might have a bad clue on their hands as the clue suggests "athens of the ozarks" is still a nickname

User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!
Posts: 2885
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Wherever I May Roam
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:47 am

Coryat: 42,400
52 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: butterfly, Provo, Ithaca (DD), curiosity, emotional, Fayetteville, beta carotene, range, health problems/disease, Under the Volcano

Would have never gotten Under the Volcano if not for my study cards. I don't think I had ever heard of the book a month ago. OTOH, zaftig was brand-new to me today, and I could not pull dugong for the life of me.
davey wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:34 pm
Phineas Quimby, who influenced Mary Baker Eddy, is best known for his theory that this type of problem is all in the mind
How do folks feel about "medical" for this? I don't think the exact concept is very well pinned, which may be a reason nobody responded...
Anything medically-related should be fine for that clue.
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:11 pm
College Towns for $600 was MASSIVE HONKING NEGBAIT for Salt Lake City. I couldn't shift gears after being completely floored by that.
This is just...no. There is no reason whatsoever to assume that the correct response to a middle-row clue in College Towns should necessarily be the state's capital/largest city.
Sprinkles are for winners.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2331
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:59 am

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:47 am
Coryat: 42,400
52 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: butterfly, Provo, Ithaca (DD), curiosity, emotional, Fayetteville, beta carotene, range, health problems/disease, Under the Volcano

Would have never gotten Under the Volcano if not for my study cards. I don't think I had ever heard of the book a month ago. OTOH, zaftig was brand-new to me today, and I could not pull dugong for the life of me.
davey wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:34 pm
Phineas Quimby, who influenced Mary Baker Eddy, is best known for his theory that this type of problem is all in the mind
How do folks feel about "medical" for this? I don't think the exact concept is very well pinned, which may be a reason nobody responded...
Anything medically-related should be fine for that clue.
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:11 pm
College Towns for $600 was MASSIVE HONKING NEGBAIT for Salt Lake City. I couldn't shift gears after being completely floored by that.
This is just...no. There is no reason whatsoever to assume that the correct response to a middle-row clue in College Towns should necessarily be the state's capital/largest city.

totally agree...and i don't think capitals/big cities should even be included in a category called "college towns"...college town, to me anyway, suggests that college/university is the predominant entity in that given location, whereas it would obviously not be the case for the larger cities and state capitals

mas3cf
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:15 am

Re: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mas3cf » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:14 am

Volante wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:42 pm

And Salt Lake City is negbait? Isn't the major/flagship university being in the capital the exception, not the rule? Madison, Austin...maybe three more?
Agreed. Either you know BYU is in Provo or you don't, it was straightforward. The negbait version would be:

BYU has a campus in this city on the shores of a lake in Utah.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6317
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:59 am

I first learned "zaftig" from Margaret Cho of all people.

The Provo clue was negbait for Salt Lake City as much as the Fayetteville clue was negbait for Little Rock (i.e. not).

User avatar
Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 731
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:59 am

Re: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Woppy T » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:38 am

I missed the show. How did they pronounce “coup de grace”? :D

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3505
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:46 am

Woppy T wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:38 am
I missed the show. How did they pronounce “coup de grace”? :D
Correctly.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6793
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:34 am

Plactus wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:50 am
Volante wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:42 pm
And Salt Lake City is negbait? Isn't the major/flagship university being in the capital the exception, not the rule? Madison, Austin...maybe three more?
Off the top of my head, Salt Lake City (University of Utah, not the private BYU), Lincoln, and if you count them, Columbus (Ohio State), Tallahassee (Florida State), and Baton Rouge (Louisiana State).
I was going to add Georgia State (and Georgia Tech for that matter) being in Atlanta. But looking it up, I see that the capital of Georgia is Tbilisi. Huh. I've been getting that wrong for years.

EDIT: And working the question the other way, how many state capitals are really thought of as distinctively college towns more than as, you know, the seat of government and whatnot? Boston is the only one that comes to mind.

Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist
Posts: 1189
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Ironhorse » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:29 am

Columbia, maybe? Or Madison?
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8161
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:36 am

opusthepenguin wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:34 am
EDIT: And working the question the other way, how many state capitals are really thought of as distinctively college towns more than as, you know, the seat of government and whatnot? Boston is the only one that comes to mind.
Tallahassee definitely is thought of more as a college town.

True North
Contributor
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:55 am

Re: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by True North » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:56 am

Columbus was the first that came to mind for me.

Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 552
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:13 am

Re: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Peter the accountant » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:14 pm

I spent too much time running through the Caribbean to get this one. I suspect when J! talks about British colonies, the Caribbean is the last place you should look, not the first.

I has been nice to see good FJ wagering the last two games. There had been an awful lot of bad wagering over the previous couple of weeks.

Dugong really annoyed me. For some reason I got hung up on the word duodenum, which I knew was wrong. I even paused the DVR to give myself extra time to think.
--Peter

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws
Posts: 1148
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:31 pm

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Butterfly, Provo, (Ithaca), Curiosity, Emotional, Fayetteville, Denis Lehane, Beta Carotene, Range, Illness, Under the Volcano, Dugong, Andromeda
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 129.7k games
Alpaca Farm: 1316 quizzes

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws
Posts: 1148
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:33 pm

morbeedo wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:59 pm
Got to Oceania (and finally, to Wellington) at about the 1:57 mark :oops:
Know your Archive: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4726
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 129.7k games
Alpaca Farm: 1316 quizzes

User avatar
Category 13
Wagering Viking
Posts: 1562
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:43 pm
Location: This side of paradise

Re: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Category 13 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:03 pm

Peter the accountant wrote: I has been nice to see good FJ wagering the last two games. There had been an awful lot of bad wagering over the previous couple of weeks.
In said games, two out of the six wagers were glaringly bad. Not exactly a B average.

User avatar
OrangeSAM
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2041
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by OrangeSAM » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:20 pm

theFJguy wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:03 am
FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD CAPITALS
...
Dave Bein: 15800-15793=3
...
Pls check your math.
OCSam

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:21 pm

Re: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by theFJguy » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:25 pm

OrangeSAM wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:20 pm
theFJguy wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:03 am
FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD CAPITALS
...
Dave Bein: 15800-15793=3
...
Pls check your math.
Fixed, thanks.

Post Reply