Thursday, October 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2331
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Thursday, October 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:50 pm

not sure how people came up with the grapes of wrath for the book...the movie came out in 1940

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2331
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Thursday, October 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:52 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:28 pm
The writers missed out by not putting the Daily Double in the category called "Daily Double".

How to Train Your Dragon may be one of the most disappointing stand-and-stares ever.

====

Ran New Testament Quotes, all but $1,000 in Hobbies and Bet It "All", all but $2,000 in Fictional Flags and Strong Language.

"Blah Blah Blah Cascades" = NOT Washington = OMG MASSIVE MASSIVE NEGBAIT.

Embarrassing miss: somehow got "Gray's Anatomy" and "Orange Is the New Black" mixed up. NHO the other four shows.

Somehow I blanked on where the Rockies are, but recovered by matching Adirondack to New York.

A story about "dry years"? That sounds like The Grapes of Wrath, which despite being a terrible book, I know was written by John Steinbeck. Huh, right author, wrong book.

Lach trash: Adam, stonewalling, Haymarket Square, Brawny, How to Train Your Dragon. Also got the Captain Nemo DD.
was the only one i missed in that category

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6317
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Thursday, October 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:41 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:28 pm
"Blah Blah Blah Cascades" = NOT Washington = OMG MASSIVE MASSIVE NEGBAIT.
Mount Shasta is in the Cascades and it's right near the California/Oregon border.

User avatar
Volante
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 6603
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Thursday, October 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:48 pm

talkingaway wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:20 pm
I clammed up a little too much in geography, my Achilles heel - Rockies? Colorado, of course. That's where Coors is made, and why the cans have the mountains on them, and why Sam Elliott (NOT Sam Waterston!) talks about that fresh, Rocky Mountain water. But it's fourth row, so I clam up, because the Rockies go elsewhere - just like how Salt Lake City isn't the only college city in Utah that could house BYU. Nope. At least I rang in on Santa Fe.
There are four states with mountains 14,000' or higher: Alaska with 29, Washington with 2, California with 12 and the remaining -53- are all in Colorado
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... ourteeners

User avatar
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1426
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: Thursday, October 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:06 pm

Thought process - Steinbeck and that Dust Bowl book. Nope, (way) too early. I figured JS for pre-war, so who is a favorite post-war writer? Hemingway, don't know which book, but don't have to. Why no other Hemingways here so far?

I didn't know that "sounds like so-and-so" was a valid pathway to an FJ.

Steve got undone by his DD3 miss. He has almost $90K to console him. It seems like the 4 days were full of playwright friendly clues.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

A Wray
Contributor
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:54 am

Re: Thursday, October 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by A Wray » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:14 pm

twelvefootboy wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:06 pm
Why no other Hemingways here so far?
I was a Hemingway. But for no other reason than I ruled out Steinbeck, because obviously the date was wrong for Grapes of Wrath. &^%$#@!!!

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4645
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Thursday, October 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:43 pm

Count one more in the "sounds like Steinbeck" category. I know I definitely wasn't specifically thinking about "East of Eden."

talkingaway
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:59 am

Re: Thursday, October 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:45 pm

twelvefootboy wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:06 pm
Thought process - Steinbeck and that Dust Bowl book. Nope, (way) too early. I figured JS for pre-war, so who is a favorite post-war writer? Hemingway, don't know which book, but don't have to. Why no other Hemingways here so far?

I didn't know that "sounds like so-and-so" was a valid pathway to an FJ.

Steve got undone by his DD3 miss. He has almost $90K to console him. It seems like the 4 days were full of playwright friendly clues.
For me, my thinking on the "Streisand" FJ! clue was similar to tonight's. That clue was "woman + singer + actress + most successful + 1963 debut = Streisand". This one was "dry valley + 1952 + writer = Steinbeck". Neither was a slam dunk when I wrote the answer, but they were each the best guess I could get. Sometimes, living with uncertainty is necessary in FJ! - not every clue is virtually self-correcting, like NaCHO.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6317
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Thursday, October 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:20 am

This FJ reminds me of the time in early 2009 I got an FJ right with Victor Hugo when I guessed the chapter titles in the clue belonged to Les Misérables, but it turned out they were from The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

User avatar
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1426
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: Thursday, October 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:55 am

talkingaway wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:45 pm
twelvefootboy wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:06 pm
Thought process - Steinbeck and that Dust Bowl book. Nope, (way) too early. I figured JS for pre-war, so who is a favorite post-war writer? Hemingway, don't know which book, but don't have to. Why no other Hemingways here so far?

I didn't know that "sounds like so-and-so" was a valid pathway to an FJ.
For me, my thinking on the "Streisand" FJ! clue was similar to tonight's. That clue was "woman + singer + actress + most successful + 1963 debut = Streisand". This one was "dry valley + 1952 + writer = Steinbeck". Neither was a slam dunk when I wrote the answer, but they were each the best guess I could get. Sometimes, living with uncertainty is necessary in FJ! - not every clue is virtually self-correcting, like NaCHO.
My boolean algebra kicked Steinbeck out for 1952. How do you typecast a writer for one novel about dry weather? (OK, maybe two, but that wasn't the gist of EoE). Congrats to all of you that got it right for the wrong reason and IMHO for the wrong reasoning :lol: . I will henceforth answer every drought clue with Steinbeck, and every bell or old man or sea clue with Hemingway and etc...
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8161
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Thursday, October 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:40 am

seaborgium wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:41 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:28 pm
"Blah Blah Blah Cascades" = NOT Washington = OMG MASSIVE MASSIVE NEGBAIT.
Mount Shasta is in the Cascades and it's right near the California/Oregon border.
That and it said the southern end of the Cascades.

That being said, I went with Oregon not knowing how far south they extended.

mahatma
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 570
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:52 pm

Re: Thursday, October 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mahatma » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:49 am

A Wray wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:14 pm
twelvefootboy wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:06 pm
Why no other Hemingways here so far?
I was a Hemingway. But for no other reason than I ruled out Steinbeck, because obviously the date was wrong for Grapes of Wrath. &^%$#@!!!
Hemingway might have been a good guess, if the clue text read more like: ‘Sometimes it was dry, sometimes wet.’

mas3cf
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:15 am

Re: Thursday, October 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mas3cf » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:52 am

econgator wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:40 am
seaborgium wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:41 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:28 pm
"Blah Blah Blah Cascades" = NOT Washington = OMG MASSIVE MASSIVE NEGBAIT.
Mount Shasta is in the Cascades and it's right near the California/Oregon border.
That and it said the southern end of the Cascades.

That being said, I went with Oregon not knowing how far south they extended.
I just reviewed national parks, and one of them was Lassen. Kept me from stepping on that landmine.

mas3cf
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:15 am

Re: Thursday, October 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mas3cf » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:54 am

CasketRomance wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:50 pm
not sure how people came up with the grapes of wrath for the book...the movie came out in 1940
Anything having to do with grapes sounds like it should be associated with a valley in California. Took me a while to get that straight.

mas3cf
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:15 am

Re: Thursday, October 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mas3cf » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:51 am

Poll request: I got Steinbeck but didn't have East of Eden in mind.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6793
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Thursday, October 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:09 am

twelvefootboy wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:06 pm
I didn't know that "sounds like so-and-so" was a valid pathway to an FJ.
It's not. We just say stuff like that to wind up TPH.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6793
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Thursday, October 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:16 am

mas3cf wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:51 am
Poll request: I got Steinbeck but didn't have East of Eden in mind.
I think that's a good way to put it. Or "but didn't know [for sure] which book was being quoted." Or even "even though I knew the quote couldn't be from Grapes of Wrath." The important thing, for me to check the box anyway, is not to stipulate "but I had the wrong book in mind."

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6793
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Thursday, October 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:19 am

twelvefootboy wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:55 am
My boolean algebra kicked Steinbeck out for 1952. How do you typecast a writer for one novel about dry weather? (OK, maybe two, but that wasn't the gist of EoE). Congrats to all of you that got it right for the wrong reason and IMHO for the wrong reasoning :lol: . I will henceforth answer every drought clue with Steinbeck, and every bell or old man or sea clue with Hemingway and etc...
Alex's comments right before the reveal suggest that this "wrong reasoning" may have been the writers' intent. The quote brings to mind the wrong book which brings to mind the right author. But if that's so, the wrong reasoning becomes the right reasoning because it follows the exactly intended path.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6793
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Thursday, October 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:23 am

mahatma wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:49 am
A Wray wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:14 pm
twelvefootboy wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:06 pm
Why no other Hemingways here so far?
I was a Hemingway. But for no other reason than I ruled out Steinbeck, because obviously the date was wrong for Grapes of Wrath. &^%$#@!!!
Hemingway might have been a good guess, if the clue text read more like: ‘Sometimes it was dry, sometimes wet.’
Well put. It's not that the quote as written couldn't ever have been written by Hemingway. He didn't write ONLY in terse declarative statements. But that's what he's known for. And if Jeopardy! wants to point you in that direction, that's the sort of quote they're going to choose.

User avatar
nserven
At the Clam Shack
Posts: 927
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:05 pm
Location: Greenfield, MA

Re: Thursday, October 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by nserven » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:32 am

I think "valley" was supposed to be an operative word in the clue, as it refers to the Salinas Valley, which is pavlov for Steinbeck, is mentioned in the first line of East of Eden, and apparently was the original title for the book.

Post Reply