FJs for the 10/28/19 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 10/28/19 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:49 pm

Before its official opening on May 24, 1883 Emily Roebling became the first person to cross it in a carriage
80%
Objects of attention in this suspenseful film include a digging dog, a scantily clad dancer & a possible murderer
57%
In 1865 this city named for an early 19th century British hero became a British colonial capital
73%
In a 1952 novel, he wrote, "But there were dry years too, & they put a terror on the valley. The water came in a thirty-year cycle"
82%
This denomination takes its name from the day, as told in the New Testament, when the Holy Spirit descended on the Apostles  
53%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
19%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
EXERCISE $400: Many consider cast iron to be the original type of this gym weight that has an attached handle; now "ring" in!
38%
COLLEGE TOWNS $600: This city that's home to Brigham Young University was originally known as Fort Utah
73%
MOUNTAIN STATES $600: Mount Lassen, at the southern end of the Cascades
43%
 A Celtic tradition of using hollowed-out turnips with candles inside led to these distinctive & larger Halloween gourds - I expected the decision on the incorrect "pumpkin" to be reversed.  
41%
I got Steinbeck on Thursday even though I thought the novel being referenced was The Grapes of Wrath.
33%
I got Steinbeck and knew the novel was not The Grapes of Wrath.
38%
I knew or could have guessed the Steinbeck novel was East of Eden.
26%
I am familiar with both terms of Pentecost & Pentecostals.
81%
7th-Day Adventists (or similar) was my incorrect response for the Friday FJ! clue.
38%

Total votes: 112

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: FJs for the 10/28/19 week

Post by AFRET CMS »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Made the connection to East of Eden first, went to Steinbeck from there. Darn Pentecostal clue terminated my FJ streak at 16; probably the longest I've had. Doubt if I'll start a new streak next week with TOC clues.

Gave myself credit for kettlebell, but that's only because I dithered long enough for dumbbell to be negged. Had I been in the game, I would have initially had a no-ring but would have gotten it on the rebound.

Haven't been anywhere in NYC except to change planes at JFK, so not only have not been across the Brooklyn Bridge, I haven't even seen it from the air. Have seen two versions of Rear Window -- the Jimmy Stewart version (several times) and one Christopher Reeve did as a paraplegic. Okay production, but very moving because you knew he wasn't getting out of the chair between takes.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
goongas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by goongas »

I live in Manhattan and have only been on the Brooklyn Bridge once for a walking tour of Brooklyn. I have seen it many times. My trips into Brooklyn occur on the neighboring Manhattan Bridge, which the subway uses. Also, I know what kettlebells are, but did not read the clue properly to come up with the correct answer.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Oh, I've walked across the Brooklyn Bridge a few times. It's a fun experience.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Charis
Contributor

Post by Charis »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: (my first time to get a whole week!)
:( :( :(
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cry:

Weekly Coryat: $31,400 (High $36,000 (M); Low $27,600 (W))

Brooklyn Bridge used to be a fun experience. Last couple of times, though, it’s been so full of people trying to capture that fun experience that it’s been nearly suffocating.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Funny story about this week - apparently, on Thursday or Friday, I was asleep and the wife was awake next to me reading, and I started talking in my sleep, and we had a brief conversation along the lines of

Me: Don't forget the rear window.
Wife: Wha??
Me: Nevermind it's fine. Rear window.

I'm not sure what I was going for, but there was definitely a connection between that and having watched the DVR recording of Tuesday's episode that night.

At the time, I expected "pumpkin" to get reversed, but now that I think about it, it doesn't completely fit the clue - the tradition didn't lead to pumpkins, as far as I know...it led to the carving of pumpkins.

Just missed a goose egg this week - Steinbeck was a somewhat lucky guess. The wife got Brooklyn Bridge while I said Golden Gate, haven't seen Rear Window, couldn't pull Wellington in time (definitely know the capital of New Zealand but I got stuck in Africa), never would've gotten Pentecost.
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I was really close to saying dumbbell, but caught myself with “wait, those don’t have handles” and getting to kettlebell. I probably have to thank my high school classmate who devoted his entire FB feed to CrossFit and lifting updates for that one.
mahatma
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mahatma »

Bigdogstalfos wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:14 pm I was really close to saying dumbbell, but caught myself with “wait, those don’t have handles” and getting to kettlebell.
They don't? I guess there are dumbbells that are like mini barbells, where you add weights to a bar, but most of the dumbbells I see are fixed weight, and what is that thing between the weights, if not a handle?
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

mahatma wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:54 pm
Bigdogstalfos wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:14 pm I was really close to saying dumbbell, but caught myself with “wait, those don’t have handles” and getting to kettlebell.
They don't? I guess there are dumbbells that are like mini barbells, where you add weights to a bar, but most of the dumbbells I see are fixed weight, and what is that thing between the weights, if not a handle?
I guess I never thought of it as a handle, but more like a grip on a pen. Maybe because it doesn’t stick out of the weight?
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks, Mark, for polling clues that I got right.
Sprinkles are for winners.
SavoyGirl
One Day Wonder, Class of 1996

Post by SavoyGirl »

I live in NYC and have driven across the Brooklyn Bridge a few times (don't often ride in cars). Today was the anniversary of the one time I ever walked across the Brooklyn Bridge, on Fri. Nov. 4, 2005. I had just started a new job at the New York State Supreme Courthouse at Foley Square (pictured on Law & Order and countless other films and TV shows), which is a couple of blocks from the entrance to the bridge. It's a long walk and once started, you have to keep going. Gorgeous views, but haven't attempted it since.
xabe
Valued Contributor

Post by xabe »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :(