LL83: Learned League

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by twelvefootboy »

StevenH wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:15 am Another tough day yesterday, with Camp David Accords my only get. And I said Marie Callender for Maria Callas :oops:
It's so strange how wheelhouses work, after two tough days this was my best day ever with a five-pack, thanks to the only Opera diva I ever, ever, heard of. I will bask in the limelight until the next Opera question :lol:. Nunes and EPO were tip of the brain gets, like putts that lip in instead of lipping out :). I reasonably could have completed the six-pack, but hair bands is no help to me and it seemed un-guessable as a result so I just punted.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

StevenH wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:15 am Another tough day yesterday, with Camp David Accords my only get. And I said Marie Callender for Maria Callas :oops:
You may not take any solace in this, but I'd vote for that for the season's Very Best Wrong Answer.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

RandyG wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:21 pm
You may not take any solace in this, but I'd vote for that for the season's Very Best Wrong Answer.
Totally. I hope Thorsten saw it. :lol:
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

RandyG wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:21 pm
Oh I definitely thought about that and would consider it an honor! I just wasn't sure if it's as good as whatever other candidates there are.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

StevenH wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:51 pm I just wasn't sure if it's as good as whatever other candidates there are.
Generally speaking, anything we come up with is significantly better than what actually gets nominated.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:23 pm
StevenH wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:51 pm I just wasn't sure if it's as good as whatever other candidates there are.
Generally speaking, anything we come up with is significantly better than what actually gets nominated.
This.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

econgator wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:23 pm
Well, Anything ±3σ
shambolic

Post by shambolic »

Unsure if shameless self-promotion is frowned upon on this board, but I have begun a blogging project in which I attempt to write a "companion question" to each question that appears in LearnedLeague (not published until after a match day has concluded). It can be found here:

https://mercurialmisery.blogspot.com
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

One of my best match days this season, and yet I lost 8(5)-9(5)

I thought very carefully about defense and assigned the zero to Vertigo - the only question my opponent missed - despite his respectable film score. He previously got both the Mildred Pierce and The Road to (xxx) questions correct, so I figured this one was a gimme, with multiple angles of attack. Oh well. Looks like I’ll be “C”ing you again next season
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

I was pretty happy about getting 4 and still lost 4(4)-8(4). I know I really don't belong in C rundle, so I'm pretty much guaranteed to get relegated back to D, where I normally belong.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

First 9 games of the season: 5 wins, 3rd in the rundle.
11 games since: 1 win, 13th in the rundle.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

It's a good thing my opponent only got 2 right, because I couldn't have defended any worse if I'd known what their responses were. Played completely against their percentages, but I guess (just like me) there's only one German football club they've ever heard of.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Oog. 5 games to go and only a 3 loss buffer...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

shambolic wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:38 pm Unsure if shameless self-promotion is frowned upon on this board, but I have begun a blogging project in which I attempt to write a "companion question" to each question that appears in LearnedLeague (not published until after a match day has concluded). It can be found here:

https://mercurialmisery.blogspot.com
Those are some good ones. And yes, that kind of self-promotion is perfectly fine.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

THREE six packs for me last week. Regression to the mean seems inevitable after that!
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Since the start of last season, I've had as many ties as wins. #ARundleLife
I'm having my best season ever- in terms of qpct- thanks to two 6-packs and six 5's, but everyone brings their A-game when they play me.
Hoping for a third lap
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:40 pm THREE six packs for me last week. Regression to the mean seems inevitable after that!
Dang! That's 3 more than me for the whole season (although one of my 2 5's this season was a 9(5).)
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

I have no six packs this season, but still lead my C Rundle with a 12-4-4 record. I'm winning with defense because my total match points are far below those around me. :shock:

It did help that I had my first forfeit win of the season on Friday where I got what is my usual number right (three).

Boy, am I going to get killed next season if this keeps up. :oops:
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:10 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:40 pm THREE six packs for me last week. Regression to the mean seems inevitable after that!
Dang! That's 3 more than me for the whole season (although one of my 2 5's this season was a 9(5).)
Those three are the sum total for this season for me.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

This one's been absolutely brutal for me. Qpct is usually around .660 for me, and I'm barely above .500. I blame winter.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.