LL83: Learned League

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:19 am Surprised to see the question about the US state and the tony winning musical / academy award winning film now has 8 possible answers!!? I dismissed Illinois (did Chicago win best musical?) and went with Tennessee (for Memphis the musical and assuming Nashville must have won for the Oscar for best song). When I submitted, the 2 answers shown were Tennessee and Alabama.

Alas, my BWA attempt went unanswered:

LITERATURE -- Among the "Children's and Household Tales" (Kinder- und Hausmärchen) collected by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm are"The Frog Prince", "Hansel and Gretel", "Rapunzel", "Rumpelstiltskin", and a tale with a title sometimes translated to "The Story of a Boy Who Went Forth to Learn" what? By the end of the story, despite numerous ordeals, he still hadn't learned it. THE ART OF THE DEAL
Arthur and Fame are cities, I didn't go past those two when I saw how big the list became.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

It wasn't Thorsten's finest day, to be sure.
ouachiouat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ouachiouat »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:49 am for the heavy water question:

did anyone else specifically not put heavy because of the word heavier in the question. Even with the bad music/film question, this took away my win and gave me a tie :(
Yup. I knew it was heavy, but then kept thinking it couldn't be since heavier was in the question. Ended up putting dirty. Was assigned a point for it & would've tied 7(5)-7(5) if I had gone with my gut. Opponent got it right, so they weren't led astray.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

ouachiouat wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:19 am
triviawayne wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:49 am for the heavy water question:

did anyone else specifically not put heavy because of the word heavier in the question. Even with the bad music/film question, this took away my win and gave me a tie :(
Yup. I knew it was heavy, but then kept thinking it couldn't be since heavier was in the question. Ended up putting dirty. Was assigned a point for it & would've tied 7(5)-7(5) if I had gone with my gut. Opponent got it right, so they weren't led astray.
This is exactly what happened to me (right down to my response of "dirty"). I mean, come on, as the H-Bomb, I know my nuclear weapons components. :D But the question ended up like a "Stupid Answers" clue on J!, which is uncharacteristic for an LL question (and at least "Stupid Answers" clues are put in a category with that name). I love Thorsten to pieces and am usually a great admirer of his question-crafting, but I feel this one wasn't one of his best.

At least I was still able to eke out a 3(3) - 1(2) win.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I learned from tossing linseed to not discount the existence of a stupid answer. Also, unlike linseed, I couldn't talk any doubt into myself over heavy water.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

It goes to show just how good Thorsten is that this is extremely rare.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

When I submitted only TN was a correct response. I must have spent at least 10 minutes on that question going over all the states and thinking about movies/musicals. I finally gave up and went with IL in thinking Chicago could be part of it even though I did not have a second part. It would have been a lot easier and quicker if only I had known Memphis was a musical. Selma for the Oscar song was the first one that came to me though I had nothing for a musical portion.

Yes, "heavier" kept me from "heavy" and I tried "hard."

The set had me spending way more time than my usual 3-5 minutes as I puzzled for a while about the fairy tale. Some form of truth/honesty for Pinocchio was out because not Grimm. I had to try to knock away things Han Christian Andersen and Aesop that kept distracting me.

Trying to think of something about Jack of beanstalk fame having ordeals had me unable to form some kind of word that fit. Then Peter Pan came to me and it was only getting worse.

Tired of how long the whole set was taking I waved the white flag and went with, "not to cry wolf".

Before going to the set of questions I had seen the post here that was removed. It definitely messed with my head in having the extra factor of considering what might be wrong with a question(s). I should have stuck with heavy for the water in guessing that was a likely problem spot.

I never would have guessed that in LL there would be that many states to fit the movie/musical combo.

It ended up being an ugly loss of 2(2)-6(3) to just go with the session as my opponent knew "Fear" for 3 points.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Almost got a W0(0) - 0(0)F yesterday after submitting with the Koin coming up IL over TN but I did stick with my gut on heavy despite heavier being in the question. I knew about heavy water from nuclear reactors cooling water but the heavier definitely threw me. I almost put "distilled" as some other kind of water but stuck with heavy.

There's a post from Thorsten where the state question apparently originally referred to the states largest two cities as the answers which would've ruled out all except TN. I would've answered TN if that was the case knowing there is a Academy Award winning film called Nashville and figuring there would be a musical about Memphis.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:19 am Surprised to see the question about the US state and the tony winning musical / academy award winning film now has 8 possible answers!!? I dismissed Illinois (did Chicago win best musical?) and went with Tennessee (for Memphis the musical and assuming Nashville must have won for the Oscar for best song). When I submitted, the 2 answers shown were Tennessee and Alabama.
"The Story of a Boy Who Went Forth to Learn" what? By the end of the story, despite numerous ordeals, he still hadn't learned it. THE ART OF THE DEAL
----------
:lol:
Where is the evidence that Trump ever attempted to learn anything?
-------------
I am ashamed to win yesterday against my opponent who is also a spawn of the morbeedo LL tree. He has Theater and Film as 1 and 2 wheelhouse, and they are 18th(last) and 13th for me. I missed initially with Illinois, but then this trainwreck.... The undeserved 3 gave me the win :oops: .
------------
I didn't even notice the word "heavier" and as soon as I saw Deuterium it was done.
-----------
I had Dairy Queen immediately until the description of the apparatus just seemed too complicated and dangerous for the little shops. Flipped it to Burger King. Lesson learned.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:31 am I learned from tossing linseed to not discount the existence of a stupid answer. Also, unlike linseed, I couldn't talk any doubt into myself over heavy water.
Exactly. He's human and makes mistakes. I've never understood the "it's in the question, so it CAN'T be the answer" mentality.
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:11 am Selma for the Oscar song was the first one that came to me though I had nothing for a musical portion.
Same here. I went through the list after submitting and when I came to Hamilton, I checked to see if maybe there was a city in AL with that name. Seems to me he could have also avoided this by using different phrasing, like "is named after" instead of "has the name of".
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

econgator wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:31 am
Volante wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:31 am I learned from tossing linseed to not discount the existence of a stupid answer. Also, unlike linseed, I couldn't talk any doubt into myself over heavy water.
Exactly. He's human and makes mistakes. I've never understood the "it's in the question, so it CAN'T be the answer" mentality.
It's a common convention, especially in crossword puzzles.

Last season had "show" in the "Your Show of Shows" question.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:36 am
econgator wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:31 am
It's a common convention, especially in crossword puzzles.

Last season had "show" in the "Your Show of Shows" question.
For the same reason you always say Rrrrrrobbie Burns when Jeopardy asks about a Scottish poet. Sure there are others, but you're playing the odds.

As for my change from entering "heavy", I didn't actually know the answer, but was taking a stab at it as heavy made sense; then when re-reading the questions with my answers (a method that has helped with RTFQ syndrome), I changed to something else.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

LITERATURE -- Among the "Children's and Household Tales" (Kinder- und Hausmärchen) collected by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm are"The Frog Prince", "Hansel and Gretel", "Rapunzel", "Rumpelstiltskin", and a tale with a title sometimes translated to "The Story of a Boy Who Went Forth to Learn" what? By the end of the story, despite numerous ordeals, he still hadn't learned it. THE ART OF THE DEAL
Not bad at all! My feeble attempt at a BWA for that was "German."
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:02 am It goes to show just how good Thorsten is that this is extremely rare.
About one question (at the most) per season is a total fustercluck. Out of 150, I’d say that is a pretty good batting average.
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

I'm another one who ruled out heavy because heavier was in the question. Cost me a win and had to settle for a tie, but I can live with it.

I answered Alabama because I came up with Selma and couldn't think of an Oscar winner for another city. At that time only Tennessee was accepted, so I googled Hamilton, AL and sure enough it's a thing.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:06 pm

Not bad at all! My feeble attempt at a BWA for that was "German."
I was tempted to go for a BWA with "how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop," but did not.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

The best I could figure on the Grimm question was that the boy had gone out to learn his name.

I submitted Alabama, thinking of the song from Selma and not having any other ideas, at a time when Tennessee was the only answer. I thought there was some small possibility that there could be a Best Musical that was also a city in Alabama, and sure enough there was. So I sent an email about it, then researched some more and found both Iowa and North Dakota have cities named Hamilton and Arthur. (I didn't send a follow-up email about this because I figured Thorsten would be thorough, once one alternative answer was uncovered, to uncover any others.)

I thought it was interesting that in addition to having cities named Selma, Memphis, and Hamilton, Texas also has a city whose name is partially a Best Original Song winner (Port Arthur), and a city whose name is part of a Best Original Song winner (Frisco, as in Hello, Frisco, Hello).
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:19 pm The best I could figure on the Grimm question was that the boy had gone out to learn his name.
"His name' from me too.

I didn't read the water question carefully enough to be put off by "heavier". I might just stick with this method.

I guessed Tennessee knowing Nashvile and thinking Memphis likely enough (didn't actually remember it as a musical). On the one hand, I'm sorry it wasn't written tigher; on the other, my opponent might not have threed it if he'd known there were 8 acceptable answers.
I'm smart and I want respect.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Sure taking a long time to get the grading done today.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

3 for Frost/Nixon and a 1 for Andorra? Yeah, I'm winning the match with that kind of defense.