LL83: Learned League

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by This Is Kirk! »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:28 am

For the music question, I got as far as Brian Eno and "Tal"king Heads.
Talking Heads were a four piece (edit: sorry, you were prolly thinking Talking Heads for the first band, the "art-rock" one)

I got that one despite totally misinterpreting the question. For some reason I thought the Bryan/Brian group and the Swedish duo were the same. I ended up thinking of famous rock trios from the late '70s and The Police came to mind quickly.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I was trying to think of two-word novel/movie titles; it was the only question in yesterday's set that I didn't have a fairly immediate answer for. I don't remember what my first ideas were, but I was inferring a particular time frame that the titles weren't fitting. Then Gone Girl popped randomly into my head, and I thought, "What the hell, I feel fine stopping there." It reminded me of the time I got Dirk Nowitzki right a few seasons ago.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:27 pm
morbeedo wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:28 am

For the music question, I got as far as Brian Eno and "Tal"king Heads.
Talking Heads were a four piece (edit: sorry, you were prolly thinking Talking Heads for the first band, the "art-rock" one)

I got that one despite totally misinterpreting the question. For some reason I thought the Bryan/Brian group and the Swedish duo were the same. I ended up thinking of famous rock trios from the late '70s and The Police came to mind quickly.
All I could think of was Rush, has no idea what their first single was
Total game show career losings = $171,522
RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by RJRouge »

I overthought the French slave revolt question. That should be a Pavlov for Haiti, but between thinking that was TOO obvious, plus the use of "republic" and "Saint-Domingue"...
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

RJRouge wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:31 pm I overthought the French slave revolt question. That should be a Pavlov for Haiti, but between thinking that was TOO obvious, plus the use of "republic" and "Saint-Domingue"...
Me on the heavy water question: Can't be "heavy", heavier is in the question.

Me on this question: Well, if "heavier" can be in the question, why not "republic"? Even though I was sure the revolt date was Haiti. Double fail.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Good to see that cmp146 got the prussic acid question correct (and got 2 points for it!). :)
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:17 pm
RJRouge wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:31 pm I overthought the French slave revolt question. That should be a Pavlov for Haiti, but between thinking that was TOO obvious, plus the use of "republic" and "Saint-Domingue"...
Me on the heavy water question: Can't be "heavy", heavier is in the question.

Me on this question: Well, if "heavier" can be in the question, why not "republic"? Even though I was sure the revolt date was Haiti. Double fail.
I did the same thing yesterday, getting the MCWA with brown sugar (already updated scores).
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

econgator wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:40 am Good to see that cmp146 got the prussic acid question correct (and got 2 points for it!).
Shoutout to Professor Pruss who is now leading A Magnolia! If her opponents keep defending her like that (zero for Soul Train?) she will keep winning.
I did the same thing yesterday, getting the MCWA with brown sugar (already updated scores).
I answered spun sugar. The picture linked below is approximately the setting as I answered
http://imgur.com/gallery/NsMlBLw
There will be a day when I can remember how to post photos here. Today is not that day.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I am SO glad I didn't discard "Prussian" after the count and kept trying to cram it into seven letters. (Took about 5 minutes. Lotta kerning work.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

boson wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:38 am
econgator wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:40 am Good to see that cmp146 got the prussic acid question correct (and got 2 points for it!).
Shoutout to Professor Pruss who is now leading A Magnolia! If her opponents keep defending her like that (zero for Soul Train?) she will keep winning.
I don't get it, what's wrong with zero for Soul Train? It was nearly a dead heat for the easiest question of the day.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:34 am
I don't get it, what's wrong with zero for Soul Train? It was nearly a dead heat for the easiest question of the day.
I loved the Soul Train question and expected a lot of players to fall into the trap that I almost did with coin tossing The Jeffersons and Sanford and Son. It was the "long running" part that made me re-read the question (and doubt about the decade) and see the musical part of the clue. Read. Every. Word.

Prussic acid was stuffed with TOM, and still a bit of a tough pull, especially since I didn't know the chemical composition that goes with the term.

Turbinado cost me a 3, so ya' never know when a nugget falls your way or their way in a tough category.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:59 am
I loved the Soul Train question and expected a lot of players to fall into the trap that I almost did with coin tossing The Jeffersons and Sanford and Son. It was the "long running" part that made me re-read the question (and doubt about the decade) and see the musical part of the clue. Read. Every. Word.

Turbinado cost me a 3, so ya' never know when a nugget falls your way or their way in a tough category.

but the examples they gave were musical shows...plus it had syndication in the clue...sanford and son and the jeffersons weren;t syndicated shows during their first run
Prussic acid was stuffed with TOM, and still a bit of a tough pull, especially since I didn't know the chemical composition that goes with the term.
Last edited by CasketRomance on Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Surprised to see turbinado play so difficult. Both my opponent and I assigned that one zero and we both got it. Interestingly it was tied for the lowest defense of the day, but it was the second most difficult.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Her last name is Pruss, she has .885 in science. Her opponent also got prussic acid. There was also a food question where she also excels. Soul train was easy, but TV and Music are way down on her strengths. You are probably right that singling out Soul Train as poor defense was wrong, but defense should also match the opponent, not just the question.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Age was probably as important to whether you knew "Soul Train" as much as TV knowledge. It's hard for me to imagine anyone close to my age (49) not remembering it.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

boson wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:21 am
Her last name is Pruss, she has .885 in science. Her opponent also got prussic acid. There was also a food question where she also excels. Soul train was easy, but TV and Music are way down on her strengths. You are probably right that singling out Soul Train as poor defense was wrong, but defense should also match the opponent, not just the question.
I literally had to add an "I" to my LL name of PrussC to form Prussic. I have also found it in a lab before and was fascinated by the old name on the bottle. This lab also had some other interestingly lethal bottles on the shelves, including potential explosives.

I also am a huge fan of turbinado sugar in my coffee, and we have approximately 100 lbs of Lego in our basement (with several hundred bits on every other floor of the house). It was a magical day.

I would like to thank my amazing run of luck that my opponents offensive capabilities appear to be not working so far this season. I am expecting a regression to the mean any time now. :-)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Yeah, well I gave her a 0 for a CANADIAN GEOGRAPHY question and she managed to get that one wrong!
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:30 am Age was probably as important to whether you knew "Soul Train" as much as TV knowledge. It's hard for me to imagine anyone close to my age (49) not remembering it.
I think demography is also a big factor. I'm aware of the show only as a pop culture reference from SNL skits or whatever. I expect Soul Train never aired anywhere in the Grain Belt except for local UHF stations in the cities. Too much money to be made airing Preachers and infomercials.

The syndicated vs. network distinction didn't help me any, I assumed they were all network shows at one time. When you get off the tractor and go in the house, you don't overthink what is on the boob tube.

eta - the UHF reference has triggered some flashbacks to the olden ways. many tv's didn't even have the UHF tuner and when they appeared it was like a mystery knob that you could sometimes summon a snowy picture late at night from Metropolis or Gotham City. Of course you had to use pliers to change the channel as the knob was always broken :). okay - gotta walk uphill to school now.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Volante wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:04 am I am SO glad I didn't discard "Prussian" after the count and kept trying to cram it into seven letters. (Took about 5 minutes. Lotta kerning work.)
Haha. Nice
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:30 am Age was probably as important to whether you knew "Soul Train" as much as TV knowledge. It's hard for me to imagine anyone close to my age (49) not remembering it.
47 and went with Showtime at the Apollo. On the reveal, my reaction was more 'oh' than 'doh'
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

alietr wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:10 am
Yeah, well I gave her a 0 for a CANADIAN GEOGRAPHY question and she managed to get that one wrong!
Yeah, but I still passed the Canadian citizenship test, so they are stuck with me now! If it is any consolation, I blame it to my assumption that it was a Mercator projection that makes it look so big. Apparently, it actually IS so big. My knowledge is thoroughly erratic.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

cmp146 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:05 am
I literally had to add an "I" to my LL name of PrussC to form Prussic. I have also found it in a lab before and was fascinated by the old name on the bottle. This lab also had some other interestingly lethal bottles on the shelves, including potential explosives.

I also am a huge fan of turbinado sugar in my coffee, and we have approximately 100 lbs of Lego in our basement (with several hundred bits on every other floor of the house). It was a magical day.

I would like to thank my amazing run of luck that my opponents offensive capabilities appear to be not working so far this season. I am expecting a regression to the mean any time now. :-)
I was so mad that I couldn't pull the Lego question. I blame it on the fact that my son is now 15 and hasn't played with Lego things for a decade, but I could even picture the container that the Bionicle came in and what it looked like, but couldn't for the life of me pull the name. And I had a good laugh about the Pruss/Prussic acid clue.