LL83: Learned League

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by StevenH »

Yesterday's set was not kind to me. The only one I got was Assassin's Creed, and that was a total guess based on a series that I had heard of and was pretty sure was released around that time period.

I also guessed India at first (based on the 1947 hint, which also made me think of Pakistan), but for some reason I switched to South Africa.

But I did manage to avoid relegation back down to D for the second season in a row!
classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by classicroadster »

alietr wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:54 am
boson wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:16 am Anyone stave off relegation or get promoted? Let us cheer you on!
Well, I did stave off relegation, no thanks to you and your $&@%÷</)! wife!
I started MD25 tied for third and lost yesterday, but so did everyone else around me in the standings so I stayed in third and will be in C for the first time next season.

Is shibboleth a common phrase in certain parts of the country? I'd never heard of it...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

boson wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:16 am Happy LLama holiday everyone! We played trivial pursuit family edition to ease the withdrawal last night and I had to protest a periodic table question:
'True or false, "J" is the only letter not present in a atomic symbol on the periodic table.'

I'm going to be tiresome over the break.
If only they'd said "that has never been" instead of "not."

I think it's interesting that tungsten saves W from periodic table absence, since it doesn't show up in any element's name.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

Finished middle of the pack in B Horizon so I guess I'll be sent back there, which is just fine with me.

I went to the registration page of the World Wars mini league to check it out but apparently the mere act of doing so has got me registered. That's also fine and dandy as long as it's over by the end of the month, when I'll be incommunicado for a while. It commences 13 Jan and goes for 12 matches so I guess I'll be ok unless there are more than a couple of off days (other than weekends).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The second part of the season was a disaster for me. I was flirting with promotion to C level and had the top DE in my rundle at one point. Then I went 2-8 down the stretch, including a six match losing streak at one point and had my first 0(0) day in a while on MD25. I avoided getting kicked down to the basement at least. I was surprised to see I have been in D twice as long as E, it seemed like longer in E.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

mrparadise wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:22 am I went to the registration page of the World Wars mini league to check it out but apparently the mere act of doing so has got me registered. That's also fine and dandy as long as it's over by the end of the month, when I'll be incommunicado for a while. It commences 13 Jan and goes for 12 matches so I guess I'll be ok unless there are more than a couple of off days (other than weekends).
You can use the calendar on the LL front page. WW is over Jan 31st.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

teapot37 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:26 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:39 pm
alietr wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:12 pm
teapot37 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:56 am I don't want to jinx it, but this is the first season where I've gotten to this point in a season with 0 MCW.
I'm the opposite. I have 14 MCW through today (which leads my rundle). I've gotten 37 questions wrong, so that means 38% of my misses have been the MCW.
Is a low MCW a good thing? This isn't a TD (think different) reward based game. I've got 20 MCW and that's 22% of my misses (a lot of them, lol..). I'd think you'd want the smartest wrong answer, but I can see merit in the ability to get clues correct that don't have consensus wrong answers (at the 5% threshhold).

I take it that teapot37 just wants to have a null set for the novelty of it. Nothing that a six-pack won't preserve, so good luck tomorrow!
I really wanted to post the panel from Watchmen: "'Do it?' ... Do you seriously think I'd explain my masterstroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

But that sounds meaner than I would intend. Yeah, it's mostly the novelty.
However, in doing some research in how common 0 MCW is this season, I discovered that there is someone in one of the rookie rundles (LevyJ4) who, despite not having answered a single question correct all season, notched 5 wins due to forfeits.
I wonder what the deal was with that. Surely they can’t be that bad at trivia. Did they just get discouraged early and submit blank answer forms to avoid Pavanoing as a favor to their sponsor? Or does Thorsten create ghost players when he has an odd number of players in a rundle?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:38 am Or does Thorsten create ghost players when he has an odd number of players in a rundle?
That does sound vaguely familiar.

I got promoted back to A Taiga, though I couldn't possibly tell you how. I finished 11-6-8 with a rather underwhelming 84 TCA and 22 points below my QPct. That was only 13th best in the rundle. My defense was a slightly above historical .707. Had only 81 TCA, but everyone in the rundle had from 75-90. Beats me. So, back to A for a season, where I will again get trounced and sent back down to B.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Getting a promotion to C!!!!!!

Wonder how long I’ll get to stay there.

I don’t feel I deserve this promotion, I had one of the lowest CAA in my rundle, but then I’ve had some incredibly unlucky seasons too, so I’ll take this and enjoy the challenge to not get relegated.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:38 am
teapot37 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:26 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:39 pm
alietr wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:12 pm
teapot37 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:56 am I don't want to jinx it, but this is the first season where I've gotten to this point in a season with 0 MCW.
I'm the opposite. I have 14 MCW through today (which leads my rundle). I've gotten 37 questions wrong, so that means 38% of my misses have been the MCW.
Is a low MCW a good thing? This isn't a TD (think different) reward based game. I've got 20 MCW and that's 22% of my misses (a lot of them, lol..). I'd think you'd want the smartest wrong answer, but I can see merit in the ability to get clues correct that don't have consensus wrong answers (at the 5% threshhold).

I take it that teapot37 just wants to have a null set for the novelty of it. Nothing that a six-pack won't preserve, so good luck tomorrow!
I really wanted to post the panel from Watchmen: "'Do it?' ... Do you seriously think I'd explain my masterstroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

But that sounds meaner than I would intend. Yeah, it's mostly the novelty.
However, in doing some research in how common 0 MCW is this season, I discovered that there is someone in one of the rookie rundles (LevyJ4) who, despite not having answered a single question correct all season, notched 5 wins due to forfeits.
I wonder what the deal was with that. Surely they can’t be that bad at trivia. Did they just get discouraged early and submit blank answer forms to avoid Pavanoing as a favor to their sponsor? Or does Thorsten create ghost players when he has an odd number of players in a rundle?
I think she is a ghost player, but in the form of someone who signed up but then couldn't play, and Thorsten was made aware and made all their results 0(0). If you look at her individual matches, you'll see her opponents received no defensive assignments and got forfeit victor points instead (0, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9; i.e. 1.5 points per correct answer with non-whole totals rounded up).
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

After starting the season 5-2-2, I finished a rousing 2-10-4. Every single match where I got 4 or 5 correct in that patch ended in either a loss or tie. I also finished with 4 higher CAA than the next closest in the rundle. At least my DE was the 2nd best, which helped me stave off relegation to D!
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

boson wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:16 am Anyone stave off relegation or get promoted? Let us cheer you on!
Which doesn't imply we will throw rocks at the relegatees, lol!

Good news from the kindergarten rundle E Taiga, two of morbeedo's offspring are graduating into grade school. GarsonK and tfb (MearesK) will go face the bullies in D :mrgreen: . My llama bro ran of a W5 streak to break in the promotion zone.
boson wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:16 am
... protest a periodic table question:
'True or false, "J" is the only letter not present in a atomic symbol on the periodic table.'

I should know this, but what is the controversy (please pronounce this British style in your head, con - TROH - versy) here? True, yes??
seaborgium wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:13 am I think it's interesting that tungsten saves W from periodic table absence, since it doesn't show up in any element's name.
This is a cool nugget, thanks!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

boson wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:16 am
... protest a periodic table question:

I should know this, but what is the controversy (please pronounce this British style in your head, con - TROH - versy) here? True, yes?
I believe it was true until the new names of the super-heavy elements were finalized. Before that there were placeholder symbols, including Uuq. This element no. 114 has been named Flerovium, and there is no longer a Q in the periodic table.

I did this research on my phone, so I'm only about 90% sure...

(Sorry, messed up the quoting attribution)
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Congrats to BigDaddyMatty on his third straight A Horizon title.
I finished with career highs in TCA, TMP, and CAA. If you'd told me four years ago that I'd crack 100 correct answers in a season and finish on the Maso leaderboard, I'd have :lol: I will be returning to A for a sixth straight season, striving for 50 career wins in A, B, and C.
Maybe someday I'll make the championship, but I've only had one winning season in A. There is a chance. There is also a chance I'll be elected president someday, or be the first person to crack $250k in a J! game.
Hoping for a third lap
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:29 am
Good news from the kindergarten rundle E Taiga, two of morbeedo's offspring are graduating into grade school. GarsonK and tfb (MearesK) will go face the bullies in D :mrgreen: . My llama bro ran of a W5 streak to break in the promotion zone.
Rah rah!

Meh season for me. I’m staying exactly where I am in C Taiga.

Bombed games and sports with 1/11 correct and finished the season with 33% or less correct in 6 categories. Let’s see if I can find the motivation to study
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:00 am Getting a promotion to C!!!!!!

I don’t feel I deserve this promotion, I had one of the lowest CAA in my rundle, but then I’ve had some incredibly unlucky seasons too, so I’ll take this and enjoy the challenge to not get relegated.
I have come close to making C a couple of times. I would like to do it for the ego boost, but I wouldn’t want to struggle through a 3-19-3 season either.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:34 pm
triviawayne wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:00 am Getting a promotion to C!!!!!!

I have come close to making C a couple of times. I would like to do it for the ego boost, but I wouldn’t want to struggle through a 3-19-3 season either.
I got a demoralizing butt whooping in C after my rookie season, but I’ve had great improvement since than, so I’m hoping to stay. It would take a lot on my part to get to B, so it will be interesting to see how I feel about the Learned League experience if I get to the point where I don’t have the excitement of possible promotion or relegation.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

boson wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:34 am
mrparadise wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:22 am I went to the registration page of the World Wars mini league to check it out but apparently the mere act of doing so has got me registered. That's also fine and dandy as long as it's over by the end of the month, when I'll be incommunicado for a while. It commences 13 Jan and goes for 12 matches so I guess I'll be ok unless there are more than a couple of off days (other than weekends).

Thanks for that, bosun. I've been around LL for a while but still learning the ins and outs of the amazing wealth of info available.
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:45 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:16 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:30 am Age was probably as important to whether you knew "Soul Train" as much as TV knowledge. It's hard for me to imagine anyone close to my age (49) not remembering it.
I think demography is also a big factor. I'm aware of the show only as a pop culture reference from SNL skits or whatever. I expect Soul Train never aired anywhere in the Grain Belt except for local UHF stations in the cities. Too much money to be made airing Preachers and infomercials.

The syndicated vs. network distinction didn't help me any, I assumed they were all network shows at one time. When you get off the tractor and go in the house, you don't overthink what is on the boob tube.

eta - the UHF reference has triggered some flashbacks to the olden ways. many tv's didn't even have the UHF tuner and when they appeared it was like a mystery knob that you could sometimes summon a snowy picture late at night from Metropolis or Gotham City. Of course you had to use pliers to change the channel as the knob was always broken :). okay - gotta walk uphill to school now.
don't forget jingling your keys to change the channel on some of the tv's with remotes which operated by sound
Late on commenting, but this took me back. Even worse was, our dogs had metal chain collars with tags, and every time one ran past the set, the channel changed! Lol.
Pending...
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

mrparadise wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:40 pm
boson wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:34 am

Thanks for that, bosun. I've been around LL for a while but still learning the ins and outs of the amazing wealth of info available.
You can also just hit the little "Unregister" button on the ML page if you don't want to play.