Thursday, November 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bigdogstalfos
Valued Contributor
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:36 pm

Re: Thursday, November 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bigdogstalfos » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:32 pm

True North wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:28 pm

I may be in the minority, but I found FJ to be an instaget, how many art movements are named for shapes?

Emma was terrific, very glad she’s making a good run.
Same. L’Estaque is in the name of a famous painting by Cezanne, but the years don’t match up at all and Post-Impressionist isn’t exactly a derisive name. Went through early 20th Century art movements and cubism was the only one that fit. I wonder if throwing in Braque would have made the get rate higher.

User avatar
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits
Posts: 2400
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 am

Re: Thursday, November 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by hbomb1947 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:35 pm

I'm honestly surprised at how hard this FJ played. A 20th century art movement named after a description of a shape? WECIB?

Well, the match of death lived up to expectations with all 3 players playing well, although props to Emma for standing out even against 2 great opponents. It's a shame that missing FJ cost Eric, and quite possibly Josh, a chance at advancing. I feel like Eric overwagered, though. Historically speaking, you don't need $18,000 to get a wild card. If I were him, I probably would have bet $1,000 or so. $12,000 (which is what he would have then had on a miss) is quite often (usually?) enough to still get a WC.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2331
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Thursday, November 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:41 pm

hbomb1947 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:35 pm
I'm honestly surprised at how hard this FJ played. A 20th century art movement named after a description of a shape? WECIB?

Well, the match of death lived up to expectations with all 3 players playing well, although props to Emma for standing out even against 2 great opponents. It's a shame that missing FJ cost Eric, and quite possibly Josh, a chance at advancing. I feel like Eric overwagered, though. Historically speaking, you don't need $18,000 to get a wild card. If I were him, I probably would have bet $1,000 or so. $12,000 (which is what he would have then had on a miss) is quite often (usually?) enough to still get a WC.
if one knows anything about art, it really should not have been that hard...i know nothing about art, so it was a sit and stare for me

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6793
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Thursday, November 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:27 pm

This was the toughest FJ of the TOC, but that's not saying an awful lot. I spun my wheels for a bit, but it seemed obvious that "shape" was the word to key in on. Once I figured what art movement involved a shape, I knew it had to be right.

Count me as one of the ones who was a little bit of an Emma doubter since she only won three games and got into this TOC by special decision. Was. Wow.

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 2378
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Thursday, November 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by morbeedo » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:41 pm

Brain: Louis XVI, Henry VIII
Mouth: Louis XIV, Henry V
:oops:

Anyone who's suffered plantar fasciitis should have got calcaneus tonight. I did - but only on a pause

Alistair Crowley! I was most pleased to pull that one out of the proverbial hat

Add Irish playwright to the Pavlov list, because I could only come up with Wilde

Schumann / Schubert ($2000) :oops:

Oh no! The boys missed (what I thought was) a gimme FJ! 1900s art movement + shape + not well received = Cubism

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2480
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Thursday, November 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:56 pm

CasketRomance wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:41 pm
hbomb1947 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:35 pm
I'm honestly surprised at how hard this FJ played. A 20th century art movement named after a description of a shape? WECIB?

Well, the match of death lived up to expectations with all 3 players playing well, although props to Emma for standing out even against 2 great opponents. It's a shame that missing FJ cost Eric, and quite possibly Josh, a chance at advancing. I feel like Eric overwagered, though. Historically speaking, you don't need $18,000 to get a wild card. If I were him, I probably would have bet $1,000 or so. $12,000 (which is what he would have then had on a miss) is quite often (usually?) enough to still get a WC.
if one knows anything about art, it really should not have been that hard...i know nothing about art, so it was a sit and stare for me
Not one of my best subjects: a C+ to B- category. The date, plus the French-sounding name, led me to Cubism just fine.

User avatar
JayK33
Just a Fan
Posts: 762
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:10 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Thursday, November 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by JayK33 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:08 am

Eric was my predicted winner for this game, and now he won't even make the semis.

For tomorrow, my bold prediction is Ryan will be eliminated. Could happen. It's happened with longer streakers and stronger players.

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 4018
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: Thursday, November 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Woof » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:19 am

H-bomb beat me to it. I confidently expected a triple get and was left aghast at the answers. The boards weren’t too hard tonight and Emma put in the second-most dominant performance so far. Can’t wait to see how things shake out tomorrow.

talkingaway
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:59 am

Re: Thursday, November 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:01 am

Misinterpreted and misfocused on the FJ! clue. I paid attention to the word "derisive", and completely blew over the keyword "shape" - didn't even notice it until coming here. So, with nothing else other than a meager knowledge of art and architecture and the idea of coming up with a word that sounded negative, I put down "brutalism". I actually felt pretty good in my ignorance, not knowing that brutalist was architecture, not art. :oops: That said, um...the brutalist architecture does look very blocky and cubic.

Did the Jeopardy! intern get knocked over when delivering the index cards with the clues and their dollar values to the U.S. ISLANDS category? The entire category seemed like it should have been reversed. Alaskan island chain is a J! keyword for Aleutian - how's that bottom row? NHO San Juan islands (had to clam myself from saying the stupid answer of the non-state Puerto Rico), and NHO either of the islands that are part of Maui - could have been Oahu for all I know. Hilton Head and Keys clues seemed like ones I should have known easily.

I precalled (Simon and) Schuster for the "SCHU" category, and finally got an opera question right with Schubert.

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws
Posts: 1148
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Thursday, November 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:45 am

55 R (Missed Mail Call, TV Taglines $400, $1600, and $2000, and Joel Schumacher(Though I have heard of him.).)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Hilton Head, Cease Fire, Charge, Calcaneus, Aleister Crowley
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 129.7k games
Alpaca Farm: 1316 quizzes

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws
Posts: 1148
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Thursday, November 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:00 am

morbeedo wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:41 pm
Brain: Louis XVI, Henry VIII
Mouth: Louis XIV, Henry V
:oops:
Louis XIV 55 years dead in clue.
Henry V 99 years dead in clue.
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 129.7k games
Alpaca Farm: 1316 quizzes

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8161
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Thursday, November 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:39 am

hbomb1947 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:35 pm
I'm honestly surprised at how hard this FJ played. A 20th century art movement named after a description of a shape? WECIB?
Best I could come up with was surrealism.

User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!
Posts: 2885
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Wherever I May Roam
Contact:

Re: Thursday, November 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:56 am

Coryat: 37,000
47 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Hilton Head Island, mail call, cease fire, Aleister Crowley

Great game. This was my first taste of Emma, since I still have a backlog of ~9 weeks worth of games from S35 to get through, and she is legit. The rematch with James, should it come to pass, is sure to be a barn burner.

On FJ, I skipped right past cubism. It just never came to mind. I thought of fauvism, dada, surrealism, the Ashcan School, and some others before settling on fauvism just to have something. Boo hiss.

In my studies, I have been trying to differentiate Schumann and Schubert. Such efforts paid off to the tune of negative $2000 tonight.
xxaaaxx wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:37 pm
ETA: perhaps I'm just thick: what was that J! keywords category about?! It seemed like a collection of completely unrelated clues.
It was a set of clues that would, but for the warning, be negbait because they seem to suggest a Pavlovian response--in their parlance, a "J! Keyword"--that is incorrect:
"Paul McCartney band" was Wings rather than The Beatles
"Dairy State" was California rather than Wisconsin
"Founding Father and president named John" was Hancock rather than Adams
"March King" was Elgar rather than Sousa
"Barcelona-born Spanish surrealist" was Miro rather than Dali
Sprinkles are for winners.

yclept
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:43 am

Re: Thursday, November 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by yclept » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:45 am

If Emma didn’t start her quick run with a win over James, they don’t go out of their way to get her in this field. As it turns out, we should be thankful for the fact that she did beat James because she was awesome tonight against two strong competitors. I pegged Josh as “the favorite if James wasn’t here” in my own rankings but Emma was simply better in this game. She has serious trivia chops and strong buzzer skills. It actually makes me feel surprised she didn’t get beyond three games.

QF games are so tricky because nobody knows what kind of score you will need for a WC. Emma smartly stood pat - why even risk losing anything In that spot? For Eric, I wonder if he is kicking himself for not going bigger on the $800 DD. If he wagers more, it sets him up to bet little or nothing in FJ. It may be worth the risk over having to guess what a good FJ wager would be.

The producers were never going to put Emma and James against each other until a potential final. I do wonder if they will throw Lindsey into the game vs Emma or use her for Game 3. It would be fun to see her and Emma in the same SF.

User avatar
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits
Posts: 2400
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 am

Re: Thursday, November 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by hbomb1947 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:08 am

econgator wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:39 am
hbomb1947 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:35 pm
I'm honestly surprised at how hard this FJ played. A 20th century art movement named after a description of a shape? WECIB?
Best I could come up with was surrealism.
Leaving aside the "shape" TOM, surrealism was eliminated by the clue about Miró already having appeared in the DJ round.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6317
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Thursday, November 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:58 am

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:00 am
morbeedo wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:41 pm
Brain: Louis XVI, Henry VIII
Mouth: Louis XIV, Henry V
:oops:
Louis XIV 55 years dead in clue.
Henry V 99 years dead in clue.
You don't need to correct people who know they were wrong.

Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 552
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:13 am

Re: Thursday, November 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Peter the accountant » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:17 am

seaborgium wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:58 am
You don't need to correct people who know they were wrong.
+1
Particularly with unhelpful information.
--Peter

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6793
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Thursday, November 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:41 am

Peter the accountant wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:17 am
seaborgium wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:58 am
You don't need to correct people who know they were wrong.
+1
Particularly with unhelpful information.
I thought it was helpful and interesting. And I didn't see it as a correction. I can see saying it needed a little more social grace. (Something like "Ouch! Yeah, 55 and 99 years too early respectively" maybe?) But come on.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6317
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Thursday, November 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:59 am

opusthepenguin wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:41 am
Peter the accountant wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:17 am
seaborgium wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:58 am
You don't need to correct people who know they were wrong.
+1
Particularly with unhelpful information.
I thought it was helpful and interesting. And I didn't see it as a correction. I can see saying it needed a little more social grace. (Something like "Ouch! Yeah, 55 and 99 years too early respectively" maybe?) But come on.
It's the third one in two days; the first one said
pertains to clue from Tuesday
Show
the guaraní is Paraguayan, in response to a post acknowledging that the guaraní is Paraguayan
and the second one said
pertains to clue from Wednesday
Show
the Ross Ice Shelf is not named for a Norwegian.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6793
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Thursday, November 7, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:07 pm

yclept wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:45 am
If Emma didn’t start her quick run with a win over James, they don’t go out of their way to get her in this field. As it turns out, we should be thankful for the fact that she did beat James because she was awesome tonight against two strong competitors. I pegged Josh as “the favorite if James wasn’t here” in my own rankings but Emma was simply better in this game. She has serious trivia chops and strong buzzer skills. It actually makes me feel surprised she didn’t get beyond three games.

QF games are so tricky because nobody knows what kind of score you will need for a WC. Emma smartly stood pat - why even risk losing anything In that spot? For Eric, I wonder if he is kicking himself for not going bigger on the $800 DD. If he wagers more, it sets him up to bet little or nothing in FJ. It may be worth the risk over having to guess what a good FJ wager would be.

The producers were never going to put Emma and James against each other until a potential final. I do wonder if they will throw Lindsey into the game vs Emma or use her for Game 3. It would be fun to see her and Emma in the same SF.
Yeah, you never know when a (potentially) dominant champ's unlucky break is going to come. For KJ it was his 75th game, but it could have been his first. For JH it was game 33, which was earlier than a lot of us expected. For Emma Boettcher* it was game 4. Her QF performance here makes it even more obvious that the loss could have come much later.

Her FJ wager is definitely defensible, but I think I'd have made the shutout bet from that position. It's only $2201 and if she gets FJ right, she's guaranteed to advance. If she misses, she's still got $21,599 to put toward a wildcard spot. I guess it's down to this fairly esoteric question. What's more likely? A) $23,800 gets a wildcard spot where $21,599 wouldn't have. B) $23,800 DOESN'T get a wildcard spot, so you really should have arranged to win the game right then and there. Both scenarios are wildly UNlikely, of course. But if you think A is slighly LESS unlikely, then stand pat. If you think B is slightly less unlikely, make the shutout bet. My response is C) I really couldn't begin to guess, but I know this much. I'd prefer to end this game KNOWING I'm going to advance instead of just assuming it. The shutout bet is more likely to produce this result, so I'm making it.

It would have been slightly risky but interesting for TPTB to pit James against Emma in the QF. They'd likely both advance, one as a winner and the other as a wildcard. It would've been interesting to see which was which and then to see them for the re-rematch in the Finals. But TPTB would have to break an unofficial rule to do this, and they'd already done that once to put Emma in the TOC at all. The unofficial rule in this case is you don't face someone in a QF match that you already faced in regular play. In any event, imagine being the poor sod standing at the third podium with an apparently non-functioning buzzer in your hand. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

---------------
* EB, as we know, stands for Eggland's Best. So an initialism here might be confusing. On the other hand, some people might argue that KJ could stand for King James. So maybe I should have typed everyone's name out. I just didn't want to waste the time on the extra keystrokes.**

** I am completely oblivious to the irony here. No idea what you're snickering about.

Post Reply