Friday, November 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1703
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:02 pm
Location: Louisville KY

Re: Friday, November 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by teapot37 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:33 pm

Note that "Black Holes and Revelations" is the title of an album by the rock band Muse.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.

User avatar
DBear
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1195
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:57 pm

Re: Friday, November 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DBear » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:35 pm

That was a TOC FJ? I would expect that to be a trigger in a college tournament. Surprised at the number of posters who already said they missed it. :o

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2473
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Friday, November 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:37 pm

i guess fenster didn't remember the alamo

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2473
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Friday, November 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:38 pm

never heard of that khan character

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2473
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Friday, November 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:46 pm

got all of the celebrities clues accept for the top box clue...never heard of that person

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2473
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Friday, November 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:47 pm

DBear wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:35 pm
That was a TOC FJ? I would expect that to be a trigger in a college tournament. Surprised at the number of posters who already said they missed it. :o
maybe not all of us are tournament of champions material...never heard of that character before

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 9813
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Friday, November 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:01 pm

CasketRomance wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:47 pm
DBear wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:35 pm
That was a TOC FJ? I would expect that to be a trigger in a college tournament. Surprised at the number of posters who already said they missed it. :o
maybe not all of us are tournament of champions material...never heard of that character before
Previous usage:
#7957, aired 2019-03-26 LITERARY ANTAGONISTS $1600: This "Jungle Book" tiger schemes to defeat the wolf pack & claim the life of young Mowgli

J! likes Kipling, his works and his characters

Zendaya came up about a year ago. J! has yet to use her HBO show, Euphoria.

User avatar
JayK33
Just a Fan
Posts: 769
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:10 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Friday, November 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by JayK33 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:11 pm

Of course, I'm familiar with Jungle Book, but I couldn't tell you all the characters' names. This was one of those instances.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2473
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Friday, November 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:13 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:01 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:47 pm
DBear wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:35 pm
That was a TOC FJ? I would expect that to be a trigger in a college tournament. Surprised at the number of posters who already said they missed it. :o
maybe not all of us are tournament of champions material...never heard of that character before
Previous usage:
#7957, aired 2019-03-26 LITERARY ANTAGONISTS $1600: This "Jungle Book" tiger schemes to defeat the wolf pack & claim the life of young Mowgli

J! likes Kipling, his works and his characters

Zendaya came up about a year ago. J! has yet to use her HBO show, Euphoria.
why was she a top box? never heard of her..kesha probably should have been the top box...i mean...how many celebrities used the dollar sign in their name?

User avatar
Vermonter
2003 College Champion
Posts: 1919
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:57 pm

Re: Friday, November 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Vermonter » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:36 pm

teapot37 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:33 pm
Note that "Black Holes and Revelations" is the title of an album by the rock band Muse.
I heard "Black Holes" as category 5 and yelped out, "PLEASE be 'Revelations'!" One of my favorite albums of all time.

Glad they also worked "supermassive black hole" into a clue (track #3 on the album)
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.

User avatar
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire
Posts: 1105
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: Friday, November 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by trainman » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:44 pm


seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6380
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Friday, November 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:45 pm

I thought this was a week of softballs FJ-wise.

As sorry as I am to see Eric and Josh eliminated, I hope they at least get some comfort out of knowing that, with pre-FJ scores below $13,601, they were only done in by incorrect responses and not wagers.

Francois's $8,000 DD wager was ridiculous at that juncture, but I admit I was satisfied to see him displace James as the high scorer this week.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2473
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Friday, November 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:55 pm

trainman wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:44 pm
Zendaya is Meechee.
after having seen that i guess i can delete smallfoot from my dvr...awful

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 9813
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Friday, November 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:55 pm

seaborgium wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:45 pm
I thought this was a week of softballs FJ-wise.

As sorry as I am to see Eric and Josh eliminated, I hope they at least get some comfort out of knowing that, with pre-FJ scores below $13,601, they were only done in by incorrect responses and not wagers.

Francois's $8,000 DD wager was ridiculous at that juncture, but I admit I was satisfied to see him displace James as the high scorer this week.
James would look very strange in the middle if the powers put Francois against him in the semis.

User avatar
JayK33
Just a Fan
Posts: 769
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:10 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Friday, November 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by JayK33 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:02 pm

It's interesting to see the tournie winners win their QF games here. That doesn't happen too often anymore, does it? Usually the TT and CC champs seem to struggle in ToCs.

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 4057
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: Friday, November 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Woof » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:03 pm

Impressive win by Francois. Another easy-peasy FJ.

talkingaway
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 185
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:59 am

Re: Friday, November 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:15 pm

trainman wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:44 pm
Zendaya is Meechee.
I finally had this meme out of my head until J! put it back there. My out loud response was "Why is Zendaya Meechee?"

Never read the Jungle Book, and haven't seen the movie DEFINITELY since I was 10, and probably not since I was like 5 or 6, if I even saw it at all. Yet, somehow I knew from the clue - maybe it was the year, maybe it was "tiger" - that it was Jungle Book. Baloo and Mowgli ring a bell, but Shere Khan? Nope. Even if I'd figured out that "Khan" meant "king" from Gengis, Kubla, Star Trek, or Chaka, the first name wasn't coming to me. Dismissing Baloo as a bear, and not coming up with Mowgli in time, I went with Tar-zan.

Didn't we have an FDR/Warm Springs/March of Dimes question earlier this season? Or maybe it was from an archived game I played. It was also mentioned in a book by John Kerry that I just started.

I muttered "being in a bubble" for "confirmation bias" - I didn't ring in, and I don't think it quite fits the exact clue of "This phrase refers to the tendency to seek out information that supports your existing beliefs while avoiding facts that contradict them". I don't think of "confirmation bias" as being particularly recent - I know I studied it in my social psych class back in 1999. But I've heard the phrase "in the bubble" a lot recently, referring typically to the political sphere, where your view is set in stone and won't change.

I also muttered "Bay of Biscayne" as my best guess for the French-sounding bay. Linguistically close! Geographically...not so much.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8230
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Friday, November 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:37 pm

trainman wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:44 pm
Zendaya is Meechee.
What was the point of that?

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6905
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Friday, November 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:54 pm

xxaaaxx wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:42 pm
Welp...that was...a Ryan Fenster game, yesiree. Sheesh. Clearly didn't learn anything about staying clam with the year of prep...yet he still might've pulled out a WC if he had gotten that DD right.
Ryan's just building the suspense, as is his custom. Now we wait for the inevitable reversal and Ryan being brought back to appear in the next TOC.
Spoiler
Show
It will turn out that Jim Bridger ALSO had an "autobiography" published in 1836 that was later shown to be a hoax. And new evidence will arise in 2020 indicating that Bridger actually died in 1836. Jim's twin brother, Brooklyn, then assumed his identity in order to escape creditors. Jim was buried in 1836 under a headstone that bore his brother's name. 45 years later, Brooklyn would be buried next to him in a grave marked James Felix Bridger, 1804-1881. Although Ryan had no way of knowing this at the time of his taping, the judges will still rule that his technically correct response should be acknowledged.

talkingaway
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 185
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:59 am

Re: Friday, November 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:56 pm

econgator wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:37 pm
trainman wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:44 pm
Zendaya is Meechee.
What was the point of that?
It was a meme that caught on when Smallfoot premiered. I guess the idea was the absurdity of the posters proclaiming "Zendaya is Meechee!", when people of a certain age (read: me) would have no idea what that phrase means, and also that Meechee is a new character AFAIK, so NOBODY should know what a Meechee is.

Post Reply