Thursday, November 14, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, November 14, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Board
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, November 14, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Board
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OLD TESTAMENT BOOKS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
By Hebrew word count, the longest book bears this name that led to a word for a long complaint or rant

Francois Barcomb: 7800-6000=1800
James Holzhauer: 37412+11914=49326
Emma Boettcher: 13200+13200=26400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Jeremiah (Francois – Ruth)

Daily Doubles
James: 3000-3000
James: 10600+10600
James: 24800+9812

Coryats
Francois: 7800
James: 22400
Emma: 13200

Combined: 43,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Francois: 1000
James: 7400
Emma: 3200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Okay, duh, now I get it. James is going for a Vegas theme on his sign-ins. I wonder if he showed up with four ready to go. Vegas sign for the QF round, the Luxor (not Dark Side of the Moon) for the semis and today an Eiffel Tower for the Paris Hotel. What will he draw for tomorrow? I will guess Statue of Liberty for NY, NY.

This is how to get something these finalists don't know: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cPi3xVRr10

Alex calling James the champ in the semis had me doing the same today. When marking the DDs I do coordinates for the box such as 1,4 for first category and 4th box down. For the person playing it I do a number for the position with 1 the champ's spot. James found all the DDs and twice I wrote a 1 by habit instead of the 2 where James is for the finals.

The DJ! round had a PHYSICS category. How did it go?

Francois had opening pick for the DJ! round and did not go there.

When it played it was:
$1600 - J
$1200 - E
$2000 - F neg; TS
$800 - F
$400 - E

BMS for Wyeth? Not today.

It was not a good day for Francois as he constantly trailed and was not heard from in the first segment.

Emma plays James better than most of the opponents James has seen over his previous 35 games. She is going to need some pinpointing DD pings on her grid search tomorrow. It would be nice to see the FJ! round matter tomorrow to close out the tourney.

The FJ! clue was a Hammer fail on my part. Longest book had me think the right one immediately, but unlike I do so many times, I did not write it. Instead I reread the clue and tried to take it all in. Hebrew word count and "long complaint or rant" gave me nothing to associate with him as I have no recollection of the term in my limited vocabulary.

My page ended up blank as I zoomed through all 39 books looking for something to equal the word term. Blank page over the correct response. I deserve the miss.

I saw that testimony is scheduled for 9 ET tomorrow morning so it looks like another day for delayed results.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

I went for the obvious negbait, dammit. And JH is putting the pedal to the metal, which shouldn't be a surprise. Did anyone seriously think this would be competitive?
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Maybe not so obvious...the name I thought of is plural, the answer had to be singular.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

I recently looked up the following trivia fact:

"What is the longest book in the Bible?"

Then I blanked on this. Boo me.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

And come to think of it, the book name I came up with isn't really a synonym for "long complaint" so I cannot make a long (or short) complaint about it.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Just looking at the stats (show not on yet), assuming that tomorrow's ToC game has all clues, this will be 20 shows in a row (or two weeks of taping days) where we've seen the full complement of 61 clues. Contrast that with the first 30 games, with 88 total missing clues, and only 6 "perfect shows".

What gives? Fewer Clue Crew questions? (Clue Crew has been there 5 times in the 20 clean shows in my informal count - didn't check the other games.) Snappier editing, perhaps using that process where they delete or speed up pauses after shooting? Did Alex rightfully complain to J! production, and did they pull a 30 second ad in his honor? Shorter clues? Fewer audio/visual clues?

I get that the ten ToC shows - particularly the QFs - are special, and should absolutely go to completion. It's unfair to QF players hunting for Wild Card spots if they don't.

Are there any permanent solutions? One, which I'd hate, would be to stop in the J! round near the end, and play 2-3 questions in studio, and toss the video up online. You could have some pretty big swings, which would be disconcerting when you come back to play DJ!.

Another would be to radically change the game by hiding a "free money" card or two in the J! round. No pause for applause; if you say "POTENT POTABLES for $400" and it's the free money question, $400 added to your bank, and quickly move to the next clue. It would decrease the number of clues per game, but you'd have no unused clues, and the same amount of money available. It would give a little bit of actual power to the player in control early in the game, other than knowing 2 seconds in advance what the next category is.

Whatever solution J! has found, it's working for me. Not convinced it's permanent, as half of the streak has happened during the ToC, but I hope it keeps going.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

NHO "The Wolf Man" or "VICE".

Identify Colorado on a map, for $1,600, in a TOC? That may be too easy.

All but $2,000 in Teen-Letter.

Lach Trash: Mickey Spillane

Hopped all over the OT but nothing sounded like a "long complaint or rant" no matter how many books I pulled up. NHO "Jeremiad". I got stuck on thinking Isaiah was the longest book and trying to turn that into "diatribe". Somehow skipped over Jeremiah entirely, since I thought it was considerably shorter.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

Jeremiahd? I've never heard that word in my life. I suppose that's my fault for trying to solve it from that half of the clue instead of the "longest book" half. I tried to get something out of diatribe, and just settled on Deuteronomy for being sorta' like that.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:29 pm Identify Colorado on a map, for $1,600, in a TOC? That may be too easy.
Not to mention that Snake River DD, or Moosejaw for 2k when spotted 'deer facial bone' (and the fact that half of us probably precalled Moosejaw anyway). Wasn't doing any backflips over 'res ipsa loquitur' for 2K either.

Well, I was hoping for a closer match, but instead it was another day at the office for James. I wonder if Emma will be more aggressive hunting DDs tomorrow, assuming she has control of the board, of course.

Instaget FJ, with a smile and a laugh, because if I miss a clue about the book/prophet after which I was named, I'd never live it down.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Can't remember the exact wording of the clue, but why was "crossatlantic" disallowed? Seems like an acceptable alternative for transatlantic.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

xxaaaxx wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:39 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:29 pm Identify Colorado on a map, for $1,600, in a TOC? That may be too easy.
Not to mention that Snake River DD, or Moosejaw for 2k when spotted 'deer facial bone' (and the fact that half of us probably precalled Moosejaw anyway).
I forgot the category long enough for Snake River not to register. Then I had brainlock and couldn't pull Portland or British Columbia in time. That should've been a 5/5, damn it.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $27,600 (35R, 1W)
DD: 1/3
FJ: :(
LT: Mickey Spillane, Michael Avenatti

I certainly did better than I was expecting after a poor first round, only 7 right below the $400 line. DJ was better, ran Geography and Words to make up for getting shut out on House Painters. Literally no clue on FJ, first time in a while that’s happened.

Poor Emma and Francois, James did exactly what they needed him not to do in finding all 3 DDs. This would seem to be over barring Emma cashing in big on a couple of DDs tomorrow.

I do believe James’ podium doodle was the Stratosphere, not the Eiffel Tower. I thought it was the Space Needle at first before realizing.
alamble

Post by alamble »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:04 am Okay, duh, now I get it. James is going for a Vegas theme on his sign-ins. I wonder if he showed up with four ready to go. Vegas sign for the QF round, the Luxor (not Dark Side of the Moon) for the semis and today an Eiffel Tower for the Paris Hotel.
Pretty sure today’s shout-out was actually the Stratosphere, which bears more than a passing resemblance to the Space Needle.

Count me among those eye-rolling the $1600 Geography clue. That was Kids Week-level, but I’m sure the Lustgarten Foundation will appreciate the extra dollar.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

They clearly edited the audio after that clue reveal...

...to get rid of the dozen groans and eyerolls from one particular portion of the audience :)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

Jeremiad was an old Spelling Bee word, so I got lucky on that one and hoped there wasn’t something called an Ezekiel or a Deuteronomy I had never heard of.

I thought both the Geography and British History categories were pretty easy for ToC final level. At least give the contestants a Marquess of Salisbury or Lord Palmerston instead of the usual Disraeli/Gladstone for 19th Century PMs.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

At J! speed, I fell for the trap of pacemaker for defibrillator...nevermind that pacemaker is 4 letters too short to qualify, and NOT what the clue was looking for.

In "stuff I'd never do on J! but my silly brain thought of": For Hertz, answer "What's the frequency, Kenneth?", and for Oklahoma, do the extended O.

Second time they've asked "What's west of Alberta?" in just under a month with about three tons of irrelevant garbage around the clue, but this time in a more straightforward way. Last time, it was "What province shares its eastern border with Alberta", which requires a little bit of mental computation...it was actually a TS when asked that way.

Absolutely NO clue on FJ!. Didn't know the longest book of the Bible. NHO "Jeremiad". No soup for me.

Not to disparage the other two contestants, because any other year, they'd be strong contenders, but James is locking this up quite well. Obviously it's not over, but he's making it very, very tough on Emma and Francois. So, now, how are TPTB going to get a Ken vs James match? Are they going to drag Watson 2.0 out?
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

The word "jeremiad" doesn't as much as ring even a faint bell to me. I got as far as harangue...Herod? I knew it's not a Bible book but I had no other guess.