Fourth Podium Poll for 11/15/2019 - Friday TOC (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which of these triple stumpers etc. did you get?

$1000 SNAILS: Tasmania produces around 25% of the world's wild caught supply of this large edible sea snail, mainly the black lip variety
9%
$1000 WHAT'S BEING MEASURED: Barrels, fifths, pecks (James guessed "liquor" and, on BMS, guessed "whiskey")
23%
Like James, I was confused about what was being asked for in the above clue
65%
The BMS did NOT help
64%
And I don't think the $200 clue of "Bunders, hectares, jeribs" would have been much less confusing
27%
$1600 MOVIE FOREIGN CITIES: 1989: "Jesus of ___" (not in the Holy Land) (James negged with Nazareth, which IS in the Holy Land)
15%
$2000 "R"CHITECTURE: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew at the Smithsonian Castle in Washington, D.C.) The castle, the Smithsonian Institutions's main building, was designed by this prolific 19th century architect who would go on to design St. Patrick's Cathedral
2%
$2000 MOVIE FOREIGN CITIES: 1959: "___, My Love" or "Mon Amour", if you prefer (Francois negged with Paris)
20%
DD3 $1600 clue in "R"CHITECTURE (James wagered $8615): As a style, it was early 19tn century British; as a building, it's the Atlanta Hyatt that began the hotel atrium era
31%
I've heard of abalone but could not have told you it was a kind of sea snail
60%
I got at least one of BEFORE, DURING & AFTER without hitting the pause button
59%
I got at least one of BEFORE, DURING & AFTER but only by hitting the pause button
4%
Once I realized James was defeatable going into FJ, I really really really hoped that would happen
38%
Once I realized James was defeatable going into FJ, I was really worried that would happen
5%
Even though I realized James was defeatable going into FJ (and I wanted him to win) I wasn't really worried
25%
I did not get any of these
14%

Total votes: 81

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Fourth Podium Poll for 11/15/2019 - Friday TOC (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:15 pm
CoachP wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:37 am Seems as if the BMS would have been better off as an "oh, sorry" and let another contestant have a chance at it. The BMS implied he was on the right track with "liquor" and needed to specify a type.
Agree. If they'd started with the area clue it would have clarified the category. One of the hazards of starting at the bottom.
Too bad the whole board wasn't like that.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

alietr wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:59 am
AFRET CMS wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:15 pm
CoachP wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:37 am Seems as if the BMS would have been better off as an "oh, sorry" and let another contestant have a chance at it. The BMS implied he was on the right track with "liquor" and needed to specify a type.
Agree. If they'd started with the area clue it would have clarified the category. One of the hazards of starting at the bottom.
Too bad the whole board wasn't like that.
Every once in a while they specify a top-to-bottom category, but it's infrequent. I understand why the start-at-the-bottom and bounce strategies can be useful to many players, but as a spectator I find the top-to-bottom progression more interesting and fun to watch, and more suspenseful. The strategy of taking high-value clues early tends to leave the final third of each round a little anticlimactic.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Peter the accountant »

Measurement: I don't think I'd have gotten the $200 clue without having seen others first. But I'd like to think I'd have gotten the $1000 clue if I had seen a couple of others. I'm familiar with all three of the examples there. Unlike the $600 clue, where I knew neither.

My personal order for the category would be:
$200 Knots, Mach number
$400 Grams per cubic meter
$600 Barrels, fifths, pecks
$800 Bunders, hectares, jeribs
$1000 The Rankine scale, the Reaumur scale
--Peter
Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Peter the accountant »

I want to give a sincere THANK YOU to our resident penguin for creating these daily polls during the ToC. They definitely added to my enjoyment of the board these last two weeks.
--Peter
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Peter the accountant wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:58 pm I want to give a sincere THANK YOU to our resident penguin for creating these daily polls during the ToC. They definitely added to my enjoyment of the board these last two weeks.
Aw, thanks. My pleasure. A big thank you to Mark Barrett as well for getting these games archived so quickly. The polls likely wouldn't have happened otherwise. And lastly, I think, thanks to the contestants in Game 1. :D If they hadn't played a game that was winnable from the fourth podium, the first of these polls likely wouldn't have gone up. And if that hadn't gone up, the nine that followed probably wouldn't have either.