Monday, November 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, November 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, November 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. CITIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Celebrating electricity & technology, an exposition in this U.S. “City of Light” in 1901 was overshadowed by another major event

Andrew Thomson: 6600+2601=9201
Beverly Randez: 4600-4400=200
Kevin Jones: 20600-5000=15600 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Buffalo (Beverly – San Francisco) (Kevin – NYC)

Daily Doubles
Kevin: 1400+1400
Kevin: 16600-4000
Andrew: 14400-3000

Coryats
Andrew: 9600
Beverly: 4600
Kevin: 24000

Combined: 38,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Andrew: 6000
Beverly: 2200
Kevin: 7000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Maphead by Ken Jennings makes a clue. Even though Brad Rutter leads KJ for money won it's KJ that leads for mentions in clues.

Kevin's story about Alex's opening words with variations on "Johnny" was funny and Alex used, "Thank you, Johnny" today, option B.

Monitor distance? Otherwise there is no excuse for the actor playing Mister Rogers going TS. Another strange stumper was in RHYME TIME when no one knew the hippie pairing.

61 clues again and definitely there would have been clues left in this same kind of game at the beginning of the season. Praise again to whoever fixed the problem. I hope it's some kind of automated editing code to shave time and not some poor drudge having to manually do something clue by clue in microseconds.

DD3 had Andrew with 14400 and Kevin at 17000 with six clues and $8000 remaining. [Cue the sound of Goofy falling off a mountain] Andrew lost 3000 on the DD.

How in the world did the game turn into a big runaway?

Clue 25 - Andrew -2000
26: K+1600
27: B+400
28: A-800; K+800 (A - fell for the trap)
29: K+1200
30: A-2000 (Andrew at least understood to ring in and guess something)

The ouch on Andrew's scoreboard descent magnified when he had the sole solve. After a tough ToC on FJ! clues for me it was nice to be back to regular play and face a clue I could lock in well before the music began. It's always nice when presidential trivia is hiding in possible mad scramble around the map geography-looking category.

Nice debut by Kevin with 24000 Coryat though I see a big caution sign flashing as he missed on two gettable big clues.

Note: Testimony is scheduled tomorrow, Wed. & Thurs. to put everything on delay status as happened twice last week.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

FJ = instaget. But both of my parents are from there.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:04 am Otherwise there is no excuse for the actor playing Mister Rogers going TS.
Buzzer system malfunctioned and the judges said "No harm, no foul".
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:35 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:04 am Otherwise there is no excuse for the actor playing Mister Rogers going TS.
Buzzer system malfunctioned and the judges said "No harm, no foul".
Thanks for sharing the intel from the Reddit poster. I wonder if that person is one of the contestants, someone else in the player pool, audience member civilian or other?

For what aired it was time's up and Beverly's light's flashing on too late with Alex acknowledging she did not get in on time. Whatever editing was done was done smoothly.

It seems strange the malfunction would happen on the second clue. Perhaps the buzzer trigger person was distracted by seeing the video clip which caused both nostalgia coupled with amusement of the actor playing the iconic TV character? Second clue of a new taping day-itis and asleep at the switch?

Just having a little fun with alternate theories. Technical glitch is the simplest explanation and of course stuff can happen on the set at any time.

That won't squash the reaction throughout the day on social media though. It's just that kind of clue, unfortunately.

Flashing lights or not, the buzzers can be armed.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I am sometimes confused by details of the Garfield and McKinley assassinations, but I was pretty sure that DC was not "the City of Light".
I'm smart and I want respect.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Lefty wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:07 pm I am sometimes confused by details of the Garfield and McKinley assassinations, but I was pretty sure that DC was not "the City of Light".
Living outside of Buffalo, half the city probably doesn't even know where the Pan-American was if they weren't already on the right streets. The site of the place McKinley was shot is in the middle of a street, along with a small plaque you can't see by car.

Unfortunately, despite the beauty of the buildings, many were torn down immediately or just after. Only one building from the P-A Exposition exists.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Any reason I should know exactly how tall Robert Wadlow was? 8 seemed like a perfectly good guess.

0/5 in World Leaders. "Sandy Beach" sounds like it could be in literally any state with a coastline.

All but "crop top" in Rhyme Time, all but $1,000 in both Cusp and Jump.

I should've been 3/5 in War Stories but was just a hair too slow.

All but Mark Felt on Cloth.

NHO Mindy Kaling.

Strangely, George Carlin was my only get in Audible. I remember seeing copies of "Napalm & Silly Putty" at a discount bookstore ages ago.

No guess on FJ! "City of Light" and 1901 were steering me absolutely nowhere. I could have taken literally 10,000 guesses and never gotten to Buffalo.

Lach Trash: flower power, cliff, Also got the Woolworth and Gilbert Stuart DDs.
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

Are contestants no longer required to phrase their Double Jeopardy responses in the form of a question? Kevin tonight answered an $800 clue and a $1200 clue without a "What is...?" framing, but wasn't penalized at all. Peculiar.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Xu Donym wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:35 pm Are contestants no longer required to phrase their Double Jeopardy responses in the form of a question? Kevin tonight answered an $800 clue and a $1200 clue without a "What is...?" framing, but wasn't penalized at all. Peculiar.
It sounded clipped so that we could see all 61 clues.

Judges have the ability to listen to phrasing and will tell us if it is lacking.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $31,400 (41R, 1W)
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: cliff, crop top, Buddy Holly, Woolworth (DD), potassium (and Tom Hanks, ofc)

5/5 on Cusp, Jump and Bond. A sad little 1/5 on War Stories.

Even if I had made the connection between 1901 and McKinley, I still would’ve missed as I didn’t know where he was assassinated. I went with SF as well.

Andrew’s descent into oblivion was painful to watch.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:28 pm Any reason I should know exactly how tall Robert Wadlow was? 8 seemed like a perfectly good guess.

0/5 in World Leaders. "Sandy Beach" sounds like it could be in literally any state with a coastline.

All but "crop top" in Rhyme Time, all but $1,000 in both Cusp and Jump.

I should've been 3/5 in War Stories but was just a hair too slow.

All but Mark Felt on Cloth.

NHO Mindy Kaling.

Strangely, George Carlin was my only get in Audible. I remember seeing copies of "Napalm & Silly Putty" at a discount bookstore ages ago.

No guess on FJ! "City of Light" and 1901 were steering me absolutely nowhere. I could have taken literally 10,000 guesses and never gotten to Buffalo.

Lach Trash: flower power, cliff, Also got the Woolworth and Gilbert Stuart DDs.
widely known obama went to hawaii every christmas
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:19 pm widely known obama went to hawaii every christmas
Citation highly needed. Just because he's FROM Hawaii...
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:21 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:19 pm widely known obama went to hawaii every christmas
many news sites reported it every year...type into a search engine... obama hawaii christmas vacation and you will find a plethora to get your citation for it having been a widely reported thing
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Xu Donym wrote: Are contestants no longer required to phrase their Double Jeopardy responses in the form of a question? Kevin tonight answered an $800 clue and a $1200 clue without a "What is...?" framing, but wasn't penalized at all. Peculiar.

Judges have the ability to listen to phrasing and will tell us if it is lacking.
I also never heard a sliver of phrasing on the "Rust" response. I figured they must have checked it in the edit.

I knee jerked San Fransisco at first, then it dawned on me '01 wasn't the right year for the earthquake. Came up with Buffalo in about five seconds of re-thinking.
Got the Buddy Holly LT, and the Woolworth DD.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

So many things could have helped me solve the FJ! question, but I still failed. I literally wrote a FJ! for the thread here a week or two ago that similarly obliquely referenced the McKinley assassination by the year, so that was a gimmie. But I had no clue WHERE it was. I'd seen "The Current War" a month ago, so I felt like I should have known it by the city....but from the Wiki page, it takes place from 1880 to the World's Fair in Chicago in 1893. I couldn't remember Chicago, but it turned out to be irrelevant. I spewed out Philadelphia for absolutely no good reason...I mean, I should have at least guessed Pittsburgh, right, because Philadelphia is the city of brotherly love.

Speaking of Philadelphia, I got the Billie Jean King question right by knowing in the back of my head that she was the inspiration for Elton John's "Philadelphia Freedom".

I overthought Bob Hawke, going for New Zealand instead of Australia. I honestly have no clue what made me immediately go to Oceania - "swimmers", maybe? Trebek's cadence/accent? (He's helped on a few clues by imitating celebs.) The weird thing is...I actually had heard of Bob Hawke and recognized him a little bit. I think his face was used in my psychology textbook about preferring familiar signs and facial asymmetry, and how people like how they look in mirrors as opposed to how they look in photographs. (This was in the 90s, before selfies that automatically reflect pictures and photoshopping.) I know the guy was the PM of Australia, and looking at the pics of them, I'm about 90% sure it was Hawke. What a weird way to know a PM.

I also heard "Rust" instead of "What is rust?", but editing/clipping didn't enter my brain. Makes sense - that's one thing they almost always check for. Also happy to hear about the buzzer malfunction killing the Mr. Rogers clue - I mean, they've been previewing the hell out of that movie. Even if this was taped in late September, previews had to have been out. Definitely check what films Sony Pictures is promoting in the next 3-12 months if you're a contestant on J!.

Amazing that with the Audible category, they still had a perfect 61. Definitely either creative editing, or someone generously bought commercial time and rolled it into J!.
Last edited by talkingaway on Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Post by davey »

Category 13 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:34 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Xu Donym wrote: Are contestants no longer required to phrase their Double Jeopardy responses in the form of a question? Kevin tonight answered an $800 clue and a $1200 clue without a "What is...?" framing, but wasn't penalized at all. Peculiar.

I also never heard a sliver of phrasing on the "Rust" response. I figured they must have checked it in the edit.

I knee jerked San Fransisco at first, then it dawned on me '01 wasn't the right year for the earthquake. Came up with Buffalo in about five seconds of re-thinking.
Got the Buddy Holly LT, and the Woolworth DD.
I hear just a sliver, like Wsrust? ...Not even that at $800, though...
I wish I'd thought better of my knee-jerk - somewhere inside I knew 1901 wasn't the year of the earthquake. But though I've read about the Exposition and the assassination, Buffalo as the City of Light rings no bells... :roll: It's a good FJ.
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:21 pm
We are not your research assistants.