Monday, November 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players
Posts: 3957
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:04 pm
Contact:

Monday, November 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:47 am

J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players
Posts: 3957
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Monday, November 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:47 am

DJ! Round

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 996
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:21 pm

Re: Monday, November 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by theFJguy » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:04 am

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BUSINESS 2019

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The New York Stock Exchange allowed jeans on the trading floor for the initial public offering of the stock with this 4-letter symbol

Elise Nussbaum: 19800-19000=800
Beth Stewart: 21400+18201=39601 (New Champ)
Stephen Pokora: 2600+900=3500

Correct response:
Spoiler
Show
LEVI (Elise – Uber)

Daily Doubles
Elise: 3600-1600
Beth: 6000+5000
Beth: 15000+4000

Coryats
Elise: 21400
Beth: 15600
Stephen: 2600

Combined: 39,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Elise: 5800
Beth: 4000
Stephen: 3000

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Monday, November 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:04 am

Miss Boris Karloff is a distinctive cat name though why would you want to mention a black cat on a key day 4 game? :o

Beth definitely hit a photo finish for the win on DD3 as replay demonstrated she did just beat the buzzer to be correct.

The FJ! category had me expecting trouble while the clue was a gift I could handle. Perhaps some kind of West Coast advantage was in play to help. Elise and her miss sets her up for for social media comments to the negative while game-wise it was just the difference of $1000 in consolation money.

Daily Doubles matter and Beth made them work in her favor.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hugo Z
Valued Contributor
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:56 pm

Re: Monday, November 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Hugo Z » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:15 am

Any three-time champ on this show deserves respect, but you have to admit, it takes a special kind of talent to blow that FJ.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Monday, November 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:21 am

Hugo Z wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:15 am
Any three-time champ on this show deserves respect, but you have to admit, it takes a special kind of talent to blow that FJ.
Only Elise can confirm it, but in the past I have seen contestant comments that in such a situation they recognize that on an "easy" FJ! clue their only hope was that it was not as easy as it appeared and they tried something else. It's a long shot and not likely though I can understand a tech company having the jeans mentality.

It could also be that Elise simply thought they had been around way too long to have a stock offering in 2019? It did not cost Elise anything other than $1000 so no biggie in my book.

Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:52 pm

Re: Monday, November 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bob78164 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:44 am

This game is a draw for the Intermediate Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob

Hugo Z
Valued Contributor
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:56 pm

Re: Monday, November 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Hugo Z » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:40 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:21 am
Hugo Z wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:15 am
Any three-time champ on this show deserves respect, but you have to admit, it takes a special kind of talent to blow that FJ.
Only Elise can confirm it, but in the past I have seen contestant comments that in such a situation they recognize that on an "easy" FJ! clue their only hope was that it was not as easy as it appeared and they tried something else. It's a long shot and not likely though I can understand a tech company having the jeans mentality.

It could also be that Elise simply thought they had been around way too long to have a stock offering in 2019? It did not cost Elise anything other than $1000 so no biggie in my book.
Hadn't thought of the "too easy" dilemma...but it sure seems counter-intuitve to put down a response that is almost certainly wrong, rather than give the correct one and hope your opponent somehow blows it due to some hard-to-imagine cultural difference, brain-lock, etc.

CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:57 am

Re: Monday, November 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:49 pm

The four-game curse is now the three-game curse. And this is also the SIXTH Monday in a row now in which the returning champ lost.

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:15 am

Re: Monday, November 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mas3cf » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:21 pm

The following went through my head re: the correct response...

- Can't be that easy, can it?
- They are 100+ years old and just now going public?
- Are they owned by some other apparel giant?
- WECIB?

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1816
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: Monday, November 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:22 pm

"4-letter" slowed me down, because I was calling the company "Levi's" rather than "Levi-Strauss". Got there in time though.

User avatar
squarekara
LEGO my Ego
Posts: 710
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:49 am
Location: Land o' Lincoln

Re: Monday, November 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by squarekara » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:50 pm

Hugo Z wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:15 am
Any three-time champ on this show deserves respect, but you have to admit, it takes a special kind of talent to blow that FJ.
Hey, we've seen Elise exhibit both J! skill AND fashion sense. This FJ was not a gimme.

I missed the broadcast today, so if anyone can post a still of The Dress of the Day, I'd appreciate it!

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Monday, November 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:55 pm

squarekara wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Hugo Z wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:15 am
Any three-time champ on this show deserves respect, but you have to admit, it takes a special kind of talent to blow that FJ.
Hey, we've seen Elise exhibit both J! skill AND fashion sense. This FJ was not a gimme.

I missed the broadcast today, so if anyone can post a still of The Dress of the Day, I'd appreciate it!
Dress 4:
Spoiler
Show
Image

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 7845
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Monday, November 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:27 pm

Ran "Word on the Street"

Surprisingly, I was 0/5 in Show Me the Money.

"Take temperature" and "black eye" have metaphorical meanings? I found that category incredibly tough and got only $1,000.

Thought I'd do better in 1990s Lyrics, but $400 was the only song title that rang even the faintest of bells. Can't say I've ever heard of the Goo Goo Dolls.

I have no clue what "mercenary" even means, so I'm surprised I actually got one right in that category.

4 letters + jeans? Must be Levi.

Lach Trash: constellations
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
squarekara
LEGO my Ego
Posts: 710
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:49 am
Location: Land o' Lincoln

Re: Monday, November 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by squarekara » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:29 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:55 pm
squarekara wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Hugo Z wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:15 am
Any three-time champ on this show deserves respect, but you have to admit, it takes a special kind of talent to blow that FJ.
Hey, we've seen Elise exhibit both J! skill AND fashion sense. This FJ was not a gimme.

I missed the broadcast today, so if anyone can post a still of The Dress of the Day, I'd appreciate it!
Dress 4:
Spoiler
Show
Image
Thanks! Does not disappoint. TPTB seem to steer people away from patterns and toward solids, but these prints weren't too "busy" and worked just fine. Sorry to see her go.

User avatar
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits
Posts: 2417
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 am

Re: Monday, November 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by hbomb1947 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:15 pm

Hugo Z wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:40 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:21 am
Hugo Z wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:15 am
Any three-time champ on this show deserves respect, but you have to admit, it takes a special kind of talent to blow that FJ.
Only Elise can confirm it, but in the past I have seen contestant comments that in such a situation they recognize that on an "easy" FJ! clue their only hope was that it was not as easy as it appeared and they tried something else. It's a long shot and not likely though I can understand a tech company having the jeans mentality.

It could also be that Elise simply thought they had been around way too long to have a stock offering in 2019? It did not cost Elise anything other than $1000 so no biggie in my book.
Hadn't thought of the "too easy" dilemma...but it sure seems counter-intuitve to put down a response that is almost certainly wrong, rather than give the correct one and hope your opponent somehow blows it due to some hard-to-imagine cultural difference, brain-lock, etc.
With her improvidently excessive FJ wager, Elise would have lost on a TS anyway, regardless of Stephen's wager.

I did wonder why the IPO happened this year for a company that dates back to the 19th century; and I wondered whether there was a newer casual-apparel company that was doing well enough to have an IPO but had escaped my radar. But I couldn't think of anything better than LEVI so I stuck with it. Plus, I had learned from the "heavy water" fiasco in LL last week that sometimes a response that seems too obvious is actually the correct one (although this wasn't a bad FJ clue in the way that that LL question was flawed).
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

User avatar
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:28 pm
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: Monday, November 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by pinkfreud » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:18 pm

I am sorry to see Elise go. She had elegance and wit, and her wardrobe demonstrated both. When I heard her anecdote about the "Miss Boris Karloff" cat, I feared that she had sealed her doom.

User avatar
Category 13
Wagering Viking
Posts: 1582
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:43 pm
Location: This side of paradise

Re: Monday, November 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Category 13 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:04 pm

MarkBarrett wrote: Daily Doubles matter and Beth made them work in her favor.
Much mention was made of Elise's lack of DD hunting logic in her first game. I don't bother grading player's DD hunting skills, so I wasn't following her selections in this game, but I wonder in hindsight if she let either of the DJ DDs fall into Beth's hands by the same unwitting fault?

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 2410
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Monday, November 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by morbeedo » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:12 pm

I said “take the pulse” (for temperature) - which clearly doesn’t fit, then said “hard pill to swallow” - which seems just as good as bitter pill or even jagged little pill

John Locke, we hardly knew ye!

I want to lambast Beth for “I’m sexy and I know it” but she really committed to the line, she just got the wrong song, lyric, whatever. Good for her in the end for taking control of the game

That action movie category was horrrrrible. Do better, writers! Don’t bore morbeedo!

Response of the night: Alex: “That’s It!”
Last edited by morbeedo on Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2467
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Monday, November 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:12 pm

learned of gurka last month when i saw that mr. bean's kid became a gurka

Post Reply