Wednesday, November 27, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by heppm01 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:13 am
talkingaway wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:16 pm Incidentally, the quote "Stella! Hey Stella!" is on the list, so it was a good guess...except for the 1951 part. If it hadn't been a decade off, and they hadn't given the years, it would be cheap, because most people just go "Stellaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" when remembering the quote. (Or, at least, that's how Elaine remembered it.)
Which is kind of funny because the 1967 movie has Dustin Hoffman banging on glass and yelling "Elaaaaaiiiiinnnnee!!!!"
Indeed, and that is the quote I picked from the movie and then discarded to think of a different movie.

Got Rosebud about 15" in so I only lost half my wager :lol:
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Compounding Pharmacy was my only miss today.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Pumpernickel, Rosettes, Bridget Jones Diary, Innumerate, (Artificial), Seven Years War, Billy Dee Williams, Georgia & South Carolina, (Utah & Arizona)
Douglas Squasoni
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 35,400
45 R/5 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: pumpernickel, innumerate, artificial (DD), Billy Dee Williams, Utah & Arizona (DD)

Movies is a particularly weak subject for me, but Movie Quotes is one of those categories that rewards knowledge surrounding movies as opposed to actual knowledge of movies, so I do all right there. I had these instantly, with only a moment to swat away "Stellaaaaaa!" as not fitting either of the dates. Even though it has played OK here, I'd guess that this played very tough with both the home audience and with most prospective J! contestants. I think they should have either asked for one of the two quotes or saved the clue for the next ToC.

I was sorry to see Beth go, but she sealed her fate when she failed to choose from the Four Corners states on DD3.

Lots of embarrassing negs/non-gets for me in this game. Like Ben, I saw Darcy's name and immediately jumped to Pride and Prejudice rather than read the entire clue and realize it was describing the updated version, Bridget Jones's Diary. I also blanked on compounding pharmacy despite being able to envision the one in my old neighborhood, and I couldn't pull the applicable war when spotted the year 1759. Still much work to be done.
Sprinkles are for winners.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:16 pm Incidentally, the quote "Stella! Hey Stella!" is on the list, so it was a good guess...except for the 1951 part. If it hadn't been a decade off, and they hadn't given the years, it would be cheap, because most people just go "Stellaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" when remembering the quote. (Or, at least, that's how Elaine remembered it.)
Which is kind of funny because the 1967 movie has Dustin Hoffman banging on glass and yelling "Elaaaaaiiiiinnnnee!!!!"
Got "Rosebud" almost immediately, then thought about 1967 and that very image of Dustin Hoffman yelling Elaine's name popped up. Then I spent the rest of the think music mentally flipping back and forth between "Elaine" and "Plastics." Fortunately, I finally figured "Plastics" would be a little more memorable, and went with it.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I knew "compounding pharmacy" from a recent episode of John Oliver's Last Week Tonight, can't say that I'd ever heard of the term before, or even known the concept existed. Might be a good poll question.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:24 pm I knew "compounding pharmacy" from a recent episode of John Oliver's Last Week Tonight, can't say that I'd ever heard of the term before, or even known the concept existed. Might be a good poll question.
Seconded. That's where I learned it too.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:24 pm I knew "compounding pharmacy" from a recent episode of John Oliver's Last Week Tonight, can't say that I'd ever heard of the term before, or even known the concept existed. Might be a good poll question.
I knew it from one of the examples he used - or, at least, I’m pretty sure it was in the episode of John Oliver. Massachusetts had a compounding pharmacy that, for simplicity’s sake, caused an outbreak of meningitis in 2012 due to shoddy unsterile manufacturing. I also knew it because a different compounding pharmacy sponsored the rally “towels” that were given out at a Bruins playoff game about 6-7 years ago.

I think the basic thesis of Oliver’s episode was that compounding pharmacies are great when they are used for their regulated purpose: to create individualized preparations of medications that wouldn’t be available otherwise, like creating a liquid form of a solid medication for a patient who can’t swallow. The problem comes when the compounding pharmacies act as de facto drug manufacturers of large batches of medications, because they aren’t held to the same standards and regulations as the big manufacturers, because theoretically their workload should be smaller.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I'm just catching up on DVR. I was comfortable with "rosebud" for 1941 but couldn't think what kind of crap must have been in theaters in 1967. No social activism, pre-hippie awareness, the studio system was still hanging on, no sci-fi and fantasy to speak of (except for Bond, James Bond - that should be one of the quotes). What's that leave, Musicals and Westerns? Ugh. The year was not helpful (to me) and did not trigger a Pavlov for the Graduate.

For some more cultural context, engineering students were told in the early-mid '70's that "Ceramics will be the plastics of the '80's". The US had about 20 schools with Ceramic Engineering programs. Now we have one with a dedicated CE program, the last I looked. Dr. Linear Gnome's school (Univ. MO - Rolla) was one of the 3 most prestigious programs back in the day (with Alfred Univ. and MIT).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:13 pm (except for Bond, James Bond - that should be one of the quotes).
#22.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

A good number of the non-chain pharmacies around L.A. have signs on their buildings proclaiming them to be a compounding pharmacy (although the chains can do some compounding, they don't particularly advertise that service).
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:13 pm...but couldn't think what kind of crap must have been in theaters in 1967. No social activism, pre-hippie awareness, the studio system was still hanging on, no sci-fi and fantasy to speak of (except for Bond, James Bond - that should be one of the quotes).
For the record, there was a fantasy among the Best Picture nominees for 1967: "Doctor Dolittle." (But I assume you're going to say that that's the type of sci-fi and fantasy you were not speaking of.)

The other nominees were "In the Heat of the Night," "Bonnie and Clyde," "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner," and the already-mentioned "The Graduate." In particular, "Bonnie and Clyde" should make you reset your mental picture of what movies were like in 1967.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

trainman wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:38 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:13 pm...but couldn't think what kind of crap must have been in theaters in 1967. No social activism, pre-hippie awareness, the studio system was still hanging on, no sci-fi and fantasy to speak of (except for Bond, James Bond - that should be one of the quotes).
For the record, there was a fantasy among the Best Picture nominees for 1967: "Doctor Dolittle." (But I assume you're going to say that that's the type of sci-fi and fantasy you were not speaking of.)

The other nominees were "In the Heat of the Night," "Bonnie and Clyde," "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner," and the already-mentioned "The Graduate." In particular, "Bonnie and Clyde" should make you reset your mental picture of what movies were like in 1967.
I did look up a list - actually no Westerns of note (Hombre), but Camelot for a musical number. Cool Hand Luke and The Dirty Dozen were still old school for the time. I am time warped with Bonnie and Clyde, because I have it mentally a little later due to its role of making bluegrass popular as a flavor of the month ("Foggy Mountain Breakdown"). Of course the same thing happened with "The Entertainer" and ragtime, as well as another Bluegrass resurrection for Deliverance, and another long wait for "O Brother Where Art Thou".

So, no big cultural movements, although some seeds were planted, especially Sidney Poitier (I assume, never seen it). The Tom Laughlin movie "The Born Losers" does some foreshadowing of "Billy Jack" coming in 1971. Otherwise, a bunch of MAGA movies aimed at affluent white people. ;)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:05 am To me the great thing about "Plastics" is the surety and faux-wisdom with which it is uttered. The speaker is acting as if he is bequeathing the secret of the universe, the magic knowledge that will transform and secure forever Benjamin's future. It's not a job offer or even a lead. It doesn't provide any way to get into "plastics". It's just the name of a general field. The mismatch, the gulf between the substance of the message and its styling renders it absurd, hilariously.
Well put. But then add onto that another layer of Benjamin being seemingly happy with his driftless life. He hung out in the pool all day (was he getting laid by Mrs. Robinson by then?), and it wasn't clear that he wanted to do anything with his life at that point. So the "advice" took on another level of absurdity because it was totally unwanted and there was no way he was going to follow it, despite how earnestly it was given.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Yikes. I’m really bad with dates, so I went with Stella and waffled a bit before landing on Citizen Kane as the film and then blanking on the quote (probably bc I’ve never seen the film).

In the JOSHUA category, would they have taken French & Indian War for Seven Years War? And how should anyone know Petersburg is in Virginia?

Lake Powell sounded familiar. I started with Utah and switched to Colorado and New Mexico. Boo!
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:24 pm
In the JOSHUA category, would they have taken French & Indian War for Seven Years War? And how should anyone know Petersburg is in Virginia?
The French and Indian War (which was my answer too) was the American theater of the Seven Years' War. So it doesn't count.

For Petersburg: my strategy for knowing that one was... I lived in Virginia for 13 years.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:30 pm
morbeedo wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:24 pm
The French and Indian War (which was my answer too) was the American theater of the Seven Years' War. So it doesn't count.

For Petersburg: my strategy for knowing that one was... I lived in Virginia for 13 years.
Yeah, that's one of the times one may wish there were a "less specific" prompt. Trying to cover both bases in this game (upper left corner clue) brought Jay Ben the worst of both worlds.

As for Petersburg, well, the Civil War was a pretty big event in American history, and the last ten months of Grant vs. Lee revolved around the fight for it. And anyone who knew Chamberlain only from the movie "Gettysburg" could guess he would have been with the Army of the Potomac rather than Sherman's army in 1864.
I'm smart and I want respect.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:30 pm For Petersburg: my strategy for knowing that one was... I lived in Virginia for 13 years.
Clever, but a little extreme.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

I got "Rosebud" immediately, and it took me a few seconds to sift through the mid-to late-1960s movies and arrive at The Graduate. Even then, the quote that came to me first was "Elaaaaaiiiiinnnne!!!" I remember when the AFI list was announced in a TV special and thinking then that "Plastics" doesn't really work without the context of the setup and condescending tone.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Watching It’s a Wonderful Life. Plastics is what George’s friend Sam Wainwright got rich off of.