Long-standing Jeopardy Traditions That We haven't seen in a long time

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Long-standing Jeopardy Traditions That We haven't seen in a long time

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:21 pm
Bigdogstalfos wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:48 pm It got mentioned here already, but Potent Potables used to be a common enough category that it was used on every Celebrity Jeopardy SNL skit. Now that I can actually get questions in it, I can’t remember the last time it came up.
The Archive tends to be helpful with such things as far as J! goes. If you meant SNL then no idea:

#7997, aired 2019-05-21 POTENT POTABLES $200: It's the main alcoholic ingredient in a pina colada
#7997, aired 2019-05-21 POTENT POTABLES $400: To make a Long Island iced tea, combine vodka, tequila & other booze with sour mix & this soft drink
#7997, aired 2019-05-21 POTENT POTABLES $600: A classic martini gets an olive, but a Gibson martini has a pearl one of these instead
#7997, aired 2019-05-21 POTENT POTABLES $800: This Greek liqueur is flavored with anise, a Mediterranean plant
#7997, aired 2019-05-21 POTENT POTABLES $1000: "Look out for the bull" was Schlitz' longtime slogan for this beer with a high alcohol content
Thank you! I didn’t realize you could search by category as well as individual question on there. I need to up my archive skills.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Bigdogstalfos wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:27 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:21 pm
Bigdogstalfos wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:48 pm It got mentioned here already, but Potent Potables used to be a common enough category that it was used on every Celebrity Jeopardy SNL skit. Now that I can actually get questions in it, I can’t remember the last time it came up.
The Archive tends to be helpful with such things as far as J! goes. If you meant SNL then no idea:

#7997, aired 2019-05-21 POTENT POTABLES $200: It's the main alcoholic ingredient in a pina colada
#7997, aired 2019-05-21 POTENT POTABLES $400: To make a Long Island iced tea, combine vodka, tequila & other booze with sour mix & this soft drink
#7997, aired 2019-05-21 POTENT POTABLES $600: A classic martini gets an olive, but a Gibson martini has a pearl one of these instead
#7997, aired 2019-05-21 POTENT POTABLES $800: This Greek liqueur is flavored with anise, a Mediterranean plant
#7997, aired 2019-05-21 POTENT POTABLES $1000: "Look out for the bull" was Schlitz' longtime slogan for this beer with a high alcohol content
Thank you! I didn’t realize you could search by category as well as individual question on there. I need to up my archive skills.
Search terms search the entirety of the clue: the category, clue text, response, and comments.
wescovington
Contributor

Post by wescovington »

My brother appeared in Season 1 and there was a Potent Potables category.

And in Final Jeopardy, all the contestants included cents in their bets. They all bet an even dollar amount.
wescovington
Contributor

Post by wescovington »

Also from the earlier episodes (1985) that I have at home, the crowd was encouraged to clap for EVERY right answer.
jeopardyfan939
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

floridagator wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:09 am Someone ought to make a website showing changes to the Jeopardy set from season to season

On Game Shows Wiki, there's already an article about the evolution of the Jeopardy! set, and each section goes into detail about the minor changes made to each set during their respective runs. Also, the Jeopardy! site has a slideshow of the different sets used throughout the years.
Last edited by jeopardyfan939 on Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

I also miss having road shows being held every season. In particular, the College Championship was always taped on a college campus. And sometimes, the Teen Tournament and Celebrity Jeopardy! were on the road. On two occasions, the ToC was taped on the road. But ever since the CES set became the primary one in Culver City, there have been far fewer road shows, most being taped at DAR Constitution Hall. And starting in Season 25, before the CES set became permanent, the show no longer tapes the College Championship on a campus.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:38 pm I also miss having road shows being held every season. In particular, the College Championship was always taped on a college campus. And sometimes, the Teen Tournament and Celebrity Jeopardy! were on the road. On two occasions, the ToC was taped on the road. But ever since the CES set became the primary one in Culver City, there have been far fewer road shows, most being taped at DAR Constitution Hall. And starting in Season 25, before the CES set became permanent, the show no longer tapes the College Championship on a campus.
I wonder if they'll have a Power Players week in 2020? The last couple happened in spring of the election year, but I can't see one happening this season.
goongas

Post by goongas »

I wonder if they'll have a Power Players week in 2020? The last couple happened in spring of the election year, but I can't see one happening this season.
I think they may feel everyone is too saturated by political news at this point by having a Power Players week...
goongas

Post by goongas »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:38 pm I also miss having road shows being held every season. In particular, the College Championship was always taped on a college campus. And sometimes, the Teen Tournament and Celebrity Jeopardy! were on the road. On two occasions, the ToC was taped on the road. But ever since the CES set became the primary one in Culver City, there have been far fewer road shows, most being taped at DAR Constitution Hall. And starting in Season 25, before the CES set became permanent, the show no longer tapes the College Championship on a campus.
I think I remember Harry Friedman saying that road show costs have gotten a lot more expensive than they used to be, and probably there is not enough of a ratings gain to justify the cost.
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

Said it before, and will say it again: The microphones on the podiums. Yes, I know about why they dropped them, but I just liked how they looked. A friend of mine said they added character.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:07 pm
I thought I read somewhere that Alex mentioned taping shows at DAR Constitution Hall this coming spring; if that's the case then yeah there will be another Power Players Week.

The very first one was held in November 1997, and the next one in the spring of 2004 (I think that's when TPTB decided to hold the event during election years). Power Players Week wasn't held in 2008, even though there was a presidential election that year; so they decided to hold the event in 2012 and again in 2016.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

goongas wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:23 pm I think I remember Harry Friedman saying that road show costs have gotten a lot more expensive than they used to be, and probably there is not enough of a ratings gain to justify the cost.
I forgot to mention the IBM Challenge being the only road show not taped in Washington DC after the CES set was moved to Culver City.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:02 pm I thought I read somewhere that Alex mentioned taping shows at DAR Constitution Hall this coming spring; if that's the case then yeah there will be another Power Players Week.
Fingers crossed ...
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

jlgarfield wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:27 pm Said it before, and will say it again: The microphones on the podiums. Yes, I know about why they dropped them, but I just liked how they looked. A friend of mine said they added character.
Educate me - other than appearing mildly anachronistic, why not?

I have to admit, I don’t like hearing the players mash their buzzers, but they’re only following (very logical) orders from the production staff, from what I hear.
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

^ They could also come in handy if the clip-on microphone goes dead, sort of like a backup mike. The Price is Right now has clip-on mics in addition to the podium mikes.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

jlgarfield wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:57 pm ^ They could also come in handy if the clip-on microphone goes dead, sort of like a backup mike.
There are backup mics in the lecterns, they just don't protrude out.
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

I do miss the "contestants coming into the studio" part in the intro, but understand why they made it so that the contestants are already at their podiums at the start, though.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Another thing I miss is from the first 13 seasons, and it was at the start of the FJ! segment. After mentioning the category again, Alex would say "Players, in a moment I'll give you the clue, you'll then have 30 seconds in which to write down your question". Nowadays he only announces the category and then reveals clue.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

And now with Mike Richards as the show's executive producer, I wonder if we'll see some of the practices from the '80s and '90s get revived. For one thing, the globe intro was brought back this season. It was dropped altogether when the sushi bar set debuted in 1996 and the opening title graphics changed each season; Season 30 had a globe intro but much different looking than the ones used 1984-1996 and the one from this season.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

For a tradition to bring back I would nominate the yearly ToC. For whatever has caused the 2-year break pattern find a way to change things. Yes, for the staff it has to be extra work to work out everything from coordinated travel plans to sequester videos to sponsor participation to "harder" clues to whatever else goes into the event. I doubt that prize fund really matter for stretching the time between ToCs.
Now to re-quote what I said back in 2019. One of the reasons there sometimes were two-year gaps in between ToC's is partly due to special reunion tournaments being held during milestone seasons. In Season 30, we had the Battle of the Decades; the prior ToC was held S29, and the next one occurred in S31. And then in S35, we had the All-Star Games. But a bigger reason is probably due to a lengthy gap in between eligible players, especially pertaining to champions winning 5+ games. The average Jeopardy! contestant tends to win one, two, or (at best) three matches. Another possible reason is that starting in 2000, the Teen Tournament winner no longer qualified for the ToC.